Blue Star OG pheno hunt, PPK style

Fantastic grow amigo! That # 6 looks like the triangle kush mother plant all fattened up. Sounds like you found that ultimate high, cut thru effect too.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was gonna say ^^

3 Likes

hey buddy! yep, this #6 is probably the most potent plant i’ve grown in a long time. this is adult marijuana.

have you ever passed a number around a room full of chatty kathy’s and they all take a hit or two and then everyone shuts up. this is one of those strains. it’s going to surprise some folks.

starts off clear and energetic, stimulating. then settles down into a very pleasant, long-lasting high. very good pain relief as well. i’ll be 73 next month and i’ve got a lifetime of old injuries that cause some daily pain. mostly muscle and joint pain. this plant cuts through and suppresses it quite nicely, but still leaves me functional.

thank you for letting me try it.

5 Likes

Well done @greyfader

2 Likes

Proud of you, working thru all your ailments and still growing quality fire cannabis. Kudos my friend. Got some exiting new gear for ya to check out next hunt. Maybe some blue star back cross or diesel star f3 (rocket fuel). Death Star back cross was excellent too. I got a beautiful lemon head 1 to 1 cbd/thc line that you may like for your ailments too.

3 Likes

well, thankfully, the ppk system functions in automatic mode by itself. all i did was feed it.

normally, i do a lot more plant culture than this. the canopy is a real mess from all the butchery i did to keep it out of the lights.

i’m looking forward to growing #6 large style with one plant in each pool. i understand the stretch ratio now and i should be able to completely fill the nets without butchery.

this plant is has that hybrid vigor and will produce long running spears of flowers if grown right.

i think the incandescents are helping to blow the plant up. they provide dark red, far red, and infrared to supplement the leds.

maybe i can do this again with it.

10 Likes

Now that’s a plant! I think the interest in far red and infrared as they relate to the ratio balance of available energy to the plants by way of light waves is quite forward thinking. Have you noticed a change in overall leaf color and pigmentation with the supplemental red, far red, and infrared spectrums compared to without them? I’d think they mature a bit faster too like seen with tropical fruit being grown at varying latitude. The edges of the canopy are mondo. Quite impressive. Much love

2 Likes

Nice dude! I also use the PPK method.

I used to do dwc in individual buckets. But I could not control the temperature well enough once I had so many lights. So root rot set in and I had to find a different technique.

You are absolutely right about being able to run PPK in some really hot temps without any problems.
I will be watching this thread for sure.

1 Like

thank you for the kind words!

no real changes in leaf color but i think the incandescents are influencing growth.

the single plant i showed above is from my facility in Oregon where i used sunlight supply acde fixtures with Philips green power bulbs. it was my last effort with hps lights. i had 49 lights there.

since then (5 years) i’ve been experimenting with leds but not manufactured lights. all screw-in bulbs.

i’ve been growing dank flowers with leds so far but they don’t get as large as the hps flowers.

i think the reason is a lack of dark red, far red, and infrared using leds.

just as the red/far red ratio can cause an unwelcome stretch in veg it also causes flower elongation and mass development in flower.

the infrared may be involved with internal signaling as it penetrates the leaf tissue and heats the leaf internally. infrared heats the surface it hits and not the medium through which it travels. in this case air.

you could supplement leds with hps but it is an expensive way to do it and tungsten incandescents are far better at it as they are more complete in these ranges and much less expensive. Also, i don’t think you need a large amount of these frequencies. just enough for signaling is probably enough. the leds are doing most of the photosynthetic work. each light fixture in this Blue Star OG grow has 6 25-watt appliance bulbs supplementing the leds. one roughly centered over each plant.

i used 60 14-watt 2700k bulbs for a total wattage of 840 plus 150 watts of incandescents for a total of 990 watts per fixture. i think this composite graph i put together from two graphs is very close to what i just did here. i’m using 2700k for flower and the graph is probably for a 3000k. you can see that the incandescent completes the spectrum. it even has some uv but i don’t think it matters much.

a tungsten incandescent has more dark red than the sun as a portion of par.

3 Likes

cool! thank you for trying my invention. i’m also known as delta9nxs. i’ve been working on the ppk system since 2009. it’s really just a flow pattern, not a specific build. it can be built large or small. i’ve filled 10k sq ft buildings with fully automated versions of it.

3 Likes

Oohh. Delta9? That name does sound familiar when I was researching new techniques.

Are you the one who had huge trees growing around bare vertical bulbs?

3 Likes

That was me lol. Probably gf and some others too. But you can google search my death star runs in the 5 light 4 plant 10 x 10 rooms. In the vert section on ic. I found a thread i did called 3 blue stars that shows the ppk in the vert tree rooms. Heres a few pics.

6 Likes

Yeah man. Those are the pictures I remember. I owe you a great deal of gratitude. I was so close to calling it quits. I was researching for months and stumbled on to that thread.

Thank you so much. I was looking at rdwc, flood and drain, drip systems, aeroponics, etc…

I’m so glad I found your thread and your technique. Really changed my grow room for the better.
If I ever feel comfortable enough I will post some pics. I’m still a little nervous, living in a nonlegal state and all.

4 Likes

On my part, your welcome and its an honor to share like I learned from those before me and beside me like Dj, D9, dhf, icky, heath r, the list goes on forever. Friends helping friends, heads helping heads.

Stay safe first and foremost. When I first got the courage to even look at a canna site, I was still back in Indiana where a joint could land you in the pen. Glad some of my old ppk vert tree pics still survive. Wish I had my vert flooded tube system pics I copied off heath. I have deleted many a pic for fear from the law back then. I been lucky in that way though. Luck and learning to duck. :wink:

5 Likes