Blueberry (Peak Seeds) and Purple Romulan (Next Generation) Grow

Here we go again!

After a fruitful summer creating f2s, hybrids, and s1s of my beloved Grapefruit x Blueberry mom it’s time to get back to growing some new varietals!

I had a lot to choose from with the Overgrow preservation runs - but I wanted to clear up some of the varietals I had purchased previously.

I have been after a grape varietal since my first real grow (about 1999). I had purchased some afghani x hashplant seeds and they were absolutely killer and had a touch of that deep indica grape taste. I also have a soft spot for DJ Short so I’m excited to see what this pack has in store. I have dropped 5 of the 10 seeds in water - fingers crossed for a good germ rate. I do have my reservations here - these were purchased from Hemp Depot and come in the same style of packet that Chimera beans came in. Apparently Grape Krush has not been available for a bit - so I’m not sure if the Canadian distributor just had a lot of stock or these have been bred in continuous filial generations. Either way Brad at HD has always provided a great service to me so I’m willing to run with their authenticity. Would love to hear about other HD experiences with DJ short varietals.

Second - I had purchased 5 seeds from Next Generation of their Romulan x Purple Pineberry. I would have preferred pure Romulan but it was not available at that point. I believe next Gen is an offshoot of the original Federation seeds who I recall offering several Romulan and Romulan crosses back in the Cannabis Culture days. Again, I have a soft spot for Romulan - the peppery spicy smoke, with a wonderful head. For me I can smoke a big J and get to the perfect spot and never go over the edge with it (into space haha).

So - 5 seeds of each in the pool this AM for 24hrs and then they’ll go into paper towels… hopefully by the end of the week we’ll see who’s head is above soil!

Per my previous format I’ll update with pics once a week (maybe more often)

33 Likes

That romulan cross sounds really nice. Serious seeds chronic used to have some really grapey phenos in it. A friend had one that made giant football nugs with a grape bubblelicious flavor back in the day. Do they even make that anymore? :thinking:

Mr Sparkles autos were also very grapey to my uncultured pallette.

10 Likes

The Romulan cross will definitely be piney I’m sure - I’m really after that peppery dominant flavour and scent.

Good to know on the grape side! I know there are a few options out there to get to it - but I have a thing for the blueberry family of genetics. Hopefully I get a hit somewhere in that pack.

I’ve seen @Mr.Sparkle’s stuff - looks awesome! I’ll have to reach out one day. I haven’t really ever run autos… interested to see what they have in store.

7 Likes

I’ve always like DJ Short’s offerings, even with all of the mutants I consistently enjoy the results. Never tried any of the Next Gen stuff, but I’ve been powerfully curious about it.

Got my bucket to sit on and my popcorn ready! :popcorn:

10 Likes

I’ll be watching this :grinning: I got a pack of Djs grape krush myself, thinking about popping them next spring.

7 Likes

Brad’s been nothing but great with me. There was an order issue (out of his hands) that he fixed at his own cost, which was cool. Quick consumer response times. So yea, Id highly recommend him. I been buying gear thru him since early 2000’s. My pnly gripe is I wish there was a larger american selection, with so many killer seed co’s coming into the light.
Yea, loved that Romulan. Had Romulan and a romulanXmikado. One of my all time top phenos ever came out of a pack of these. Tangy-spicy. wicked buzz.
i miss the old The Federation Seed Co. I got to try their cotton candy, romulan/mikado, the hawaiianxcotton candy (killer smoke in there) among a few others.
Im just guessing the Colorado Golden Goat came from packs of Federation Seeds Co.gear back in the day.

6 Likes

I’ve been hanging on to the GK for about 6 months while I finished some other stuff up so I am intrigued to see where these go!

Only one issue… only 1 of the 5 beans started has even cracked :/. Not holding out hope of getting a good germ ratio on these first 5 so the other 5 went in the pool today as well. :crossed_fingers:

Comparably - 4 of the 5 Romulan have about a 1/8-1/4” tail coming off them already!

4 Likes

Pretty pumped for the Romulan… always wanted to grow Mikado as well! I have heard it is Sweet Pink Grapefruit… must have been crossed and backcrossed to something to develop a seed line.

Love all those 90s Canadian Cannabis strains!

I think Chimera has a varietal called C4 which had cotton candy in it.

Either way - 4 of 5 of the Purple Romulan are rocking. Unfortunately the GK is not looking so good… well see where that goes.

5 Likes

So 4 of the 5 Purple Romulan are up and out of the soil - the other seed never cracked so it will only be 4 plants of that.

0 / 10 Grape Krush sprouted… ZERO!! Not exactly happy. That was an expensive pack and for not 1 to even grow a tail at all is shocking. Some did crack but never sprouted.

Certainly could be me but I’ve never an issue like that with germination before - so zero out of 10 is crazy… even if I had I few I would be happy enough.

Edit - Decided to drop 5 PeakSeeds blueberry in the drink today. Will go ahead this way! Not Grape - but will continue the blueberry hunt I’ve been after.

14 Likes

Quick update:

1 grape Krush popped and is up and out of the soil. Have to say I’m happy I at least got one to go. One more looks like it may be trying - but may have given up… what little life the other seed shows is tired and sluggish… I think it’s essentially dead.

All 6 of the Peak Seeds blueberry seeds popped and are up (they are huge seeds! Like little coconuts).

The 4 Purple Romulan and cruising along… not much to show, just single blades leaves. First set of 3 blades leaves just showing now.

It’s interesting that 1 of the blueberries has what appears to be purple cotyledon on the underside… may just be me eyes. Either way the vigour of the Peak Seeds has been slick… I’m really interested what they’ll be like.

Edit - family photo added :slight_smile:

purple roms at the top - bottom 6 are the Peak BB

14 Likes

I’ll be watching these Peak beans real kean.
I’ve been itching to give Peak a big try in a big way.
Wondabar.

10 Likes

Family shot:

The Purple Romulans are taking off - loving how wide the leaves are! Well see how this shapes up as the plant matures. As of now they seem very vigorous!

The BB seeds and single GK are still babies but moving along as expected. One BB is a bit runty - but will come around soon I imagine.

Otherwise pretty well status quo with these babies.

14 Likes

This makes me want to pop my pack of grape crush asap and see if there is a similar issue.

3 Likes

1 Grape Krush did pop and is growing well… so we’ll see. Actually looks pretty similar at this point to the Peak seeds Blueberry - but really too early to see where it will go.

5 Likes

Family picture… still just vegging. Purple Romulan in the back - very vigorous, bit of stretch on them. The one Grape Krush plant is on the right in the middle - seems to be taking off as well. Last six at the bottom are the Blueberry.

Still one runt - it’s like a micro plant. Growing fine and healthy - just mega small!

18 Likes

Small update - about 6 weeks or so from seed and none of the plants have shown sex!

All varietals were getting quite tall with no side branching - which won’t work great in my setup - so they all got topped to level them out. Also got out of the solo cups and into some larger pots and all setup on a blumat system (love them). Ran into some nitrogen issues with my soil the last run so I mixed in a good helping of EWC this round.

The Purple Romulan is much stretchier than the Blueberry - but a vigorous grower. A few funky leaf mutations - but nothing crazy.

Grape Krush is pretty lanky too - but has responded to topping well.

The Blueberry really doesn’t want to branch out even after being topped… would be a good SOG grower. Relatively compact though - definitely Indica leaning… all relatively similar too.

Going to flip to 11/13 on Monday and try and sex these suckers.

Will update with more pics then - for now not much to show.

5 Likes

Will get some pics up later today but here’s the tally:

Grape Krush: Male - beautiful plant, very vigorous - but a dude. So I’ll cross him to the Blueberry I have going and try to keep it in that grapey/musky fam. He already is getting close to throwing pollen… after only 1 week.

Purple Romulan: 2 male, 2 female - the 2 males are monsters… vigorous and tall. One is a heavy feeder a one is less finicky. Will check stem runs but given their physiology is pretty similar the less fussy male will win. On the female front it’s interesting - I have 2 distinct phenos. One is like the males - tall and bushy, the other is more Indica in structure, more compact, broader leaves. I’m intrigued there - hoping that one is more Romulan. Certainly appears to be a more unique pheno than the other 3. Somewhat minty on the stem rub.

Females:

Males:

Blueberry: I think it’s 4 female, 2 male (but one of these is the runt. These aren’t showing sex quite as quick and aren’t as vigorous as the PR but they are beautiful plants. Very Indica in their physiology - compact, strong stems, wide leaves. Most of these guys aren’t heavy branches but have responded to topping… it’s also a bit crowded in there. They have what I would call the typical berry/afghan type sent on the stem rub. More deep funk with hints of fruitiness.

Females:

Males:

Gotta split everyone up - will edit with some pics once I do.

12 Likes

It will be 3 weeks this weekend into flower - starting to see some progress.

The Purple Romulan are both very nice plants. Vigorous, strong structure, stacking well. Not much scent at the moment but I figure I’ve got 3 weeks or so before that starts popping up… fingers crossed on black pepper!

The stockier girl:

The taller girl (but just great structure and flower production):

The Blueberry plants are a whole other ball game. Stocky Indica like structure, looks like they’ll have popcorn style buds. No floppiness here! The odd think are the flowers… there just aren’t many. The are like these little white balls on the end:

Spoke to Mike at Peak and he said this is normal - hold tight and wait until 7 weeks and they’ll look much better. They are very light on nite requirements. Normally my living soil need N top ups - these are deep green still!

Shorter bulky girl:

Taller, fuller girl:

I like the structure of both… whoever is more blueberry and smokes better will win.

12 Likes

Hmmm was thinking about picking up 2 packs from Peak, must be gonna be one big bud.

Might have to veg for 2-3 months

4 Likes

Lay the bb on its side pot and all, shell shoot

7 Likes