So after my first post on the forum about the closet i built for my plants, i decided to give a short photo-log about my first grow in the box. Still quite new at this and still have a lot to learn but ever since i started growing i just got hooked. I can’t imagine a more fun rewarding thing to do
It also happened to be my first real try at a scrog.
I have to admit though, the start of the grow is a little unorthodox and i made a couple of noob-mistakes this round. But i see it as a learning experience and, just starting my 4th week of flowering i already am looking forward to what is still to come and how i can improve on it the next round. I’d also like to keep a more detailed log here on the forum next time if there’s any interest.
So i started out with 5 Royal Critical seeds from Royal Queen Seeds. I figured i’d pick the 4 strongest ones for the scrog but since only 4 germinated it was an easy pick. Still, too bad this one didn’t. I’ve usually had great results with RQS, very close to 100% germination.
I was a little impatient starting the grow, so immediately after building the box i started planting the seeds.Straight into the soil, used sannies way (a dutch organic grower) with mycorizza, buffering tabs, a little extras to activate the soil. And watering them in with bacto.
We weren’t expecting to go on holiday this year with corona but still ended up going to a cottage closeby for 3 weeks. Because the seeds already germinated i decided to take them with me and let the girls spend their first 3 weeks outdoors.
Here they are next to my pepper plant just had a cloud pass by unfortunately.
I topped them very soon and used lst to force the 4 remaining cola into a 4-way split.
Things went very well so far. The first 2 weeks were very sunny weather. The third was a little more cloudy so i think they might have gotten a little bigger by the time i returned home. But that’s outdoor growing i guess. Better that then only dropping the seeds 3 weeks later.
Unfortunately a crap driver made me brake hard on the way home and i had 2 plants break one of the 4 cola.
Stupid that it happened. Won’t happen again.
So here they are back home. Between 3-4 weeks old.
After coming home i continued the veg in the box i built.
I used 2 LED-lights i bought in the past. A viparspectra 450 that pulls 250 from the wall and the bestva 800 that pulls 150-200w
After a few weeks i decided to make my first scrog-net.
Used pvc-piping, fish-eye hooks and string.
First placed it above the plants, then lowered it and started weaving them through.
After a while of tucking and weaving i noticed a new problem. The bestva LED apparently had half the diodes burned out. I got angry and stupid and bought the first thing i found online. A 600w hps with ballast from lumatec.
Unfortunately because of that i decided to postpone the switch to flowering some. By the time the stretch was halfway done i hastily made a 2nd trellis with garden fencing. I was really disapponted after this because its far from as neat and tidy as i liked it to be.
And then it happened… i had some difficulties watering the back 2 plants. I attached a piece of garden hose to a watering bucket so i could reach. Unfortunately i had an accident and spilled a load of water one time. And then i discovered the bottom of my closed isnt yet fulle waterproof. A problem i will definitely fix in between grows. But this problem had to be resolved immediately because if it were to happen again… i’d like to avoid water damage to my adjacent walls.
So i had to force 4 plastic boxes into the growroom, and manage to position each under a bag with a plant.
This sucked… big time… snapped a branch or 2, and totally ruined my very nice and even looking canopy.
What was left was still managable but a lot less tidy then what it was like before.
Anyway… never again, but no other way to go than forward and learn from it i guess.
By the end of the stretch i had what looked like a 2-tier cake. About 50% of the cola just barely touched the bottom of the 2nd trellis. The other 50 percent shot above that.
By now the girls are 1 day into the 4th week since the switch to 12-12. Although a little bushier and less controlled than i would have liked because of the water- and lamp fiascos i’m still very happy about the whole thing.
Plants still look healthy, i’m still looking at a healthy harvest, but most of all, i learned a lot about my plants and using a scrog and i’m already very excited about my 2nd attempt to come.
Thanx for reading. Further updates will follow.