Bodhi Guide - Seed and Strain Discussion (Part 1)

Bodhi encouraged everyone to explore the genetics.

9 Likes

That would be crazy badass. George Jetson of weed. Haha

5 Likes

Its the futureā€¦and especially the future of being able to spread genetics around without also spreading pests or pathogens. The first step in tissue culture is to sterilize the plant sample surface using a bleach solution. That kills all surface bugs and pathogens (although does nothing for vriods). Then the plant goes into an aseptic environment where it can slowly grow in a clean environment free from bacteria or fungus. Plants in this aseptic environment (could be a test tube) can survive months. No reason you couldnā€™t send that same test tube to a buddy. Its basically a micro clone at that point that can be pulled out of in-vitro and grown normally.

14 Likes

Clean OG Forum cuts sounds amazing. That being said hereā€™s a Goji f2 from seed thanks again @ramblinrose e3f7fdfcb235fb26b863133b8161b73908d2489c_2_500x500

Pop f2s

36 Likes

We should do a fundraiser to start an Overgrow dispo lol

9 Likes

With regards to the Cuts vs Seeds debate.
I see the point of getting cuts to people and the likely good being much higher that theyā€™ll grow them out, where as seeds can be horded and never popped. I know I have a collection of beans that will take me some time to get through. And I only started this current collection 2 month ago.

But again, as id said above, the cuts canā€™t be sent worldwide, so this then makes it a US only thing on OG. Which I know there are plenty of country specific giveaways and offers on here, but the point of OG is to Over Grow the World.

And of course, as Bodhi would say ā€œPlant More Seeds.ā€

:v:

13 Likes

I mean Bodhi was/is selling seeds, so thatā€™s what heā€™s going to say. Haha

3 Likes

Agree with a good amount of your post even though Iā€™m in the seed popping minority. Itā€™s the process and path of exploration thatā€™s most fun to me. Always end up getting bored after a few runs of a clone and want to explore something new no matter how good it is. Hope my posts donā€™t come off too negative, just enjoy the discussion and have been messing around a lot with the ssdd & crosses lately so the interest is even higher.

I think thereā€™s a lot of value in the message ā€˜plant more seedsā€™ though and it really does keep things interesting when new stuff is being grown out. Still though even with cuttings it will be more interesting than whatever happens to be floating around on Strainly currently and may even provide some medicinal relief for someone out there. Whatever you end up doing will result in more plants being grown out and will be awesome in my eyes. Also in case you didnā€™t know you could use polls as well to feel out community opinions. Not my genetics being offered out so I donā€™t want to do it but hereā€™s an example

Which would you rather try
  • Devilā€™s Hashplant (Diablo OG x 88g13)
  • Spirit Hashplant (Ghost OG x 88g13)

0 voters

Hereā€™s some Bodhi shots from today as well. Tent has been in the high 90s and theyā€™re a bit rootbound. Excuse the dog hair as well :upside_down_face:

Chem 91 skunk VA x SSDD

Lavender Jack

Herer Hashplant

Triple Sunshine A (tk x SSDD)

Triple Sunshine C (tk x SSDD)

Sunshine Daydream F1 - bubbashine pheno

43 Likes

The vote train for Devils Hashplant has ended.

8 Likes

You ever run one of these out before? I bet thereā€™s some great stuff in those seedsā€¦

10 Likes

Only 1 plant and wasnā€™t a fan of what I now understand to be Jack smell (terpineolene). Was very sweet smelling and not much else. I know itā€™s a superficial complaint but itā€™s my hangup with it.

@nube has a really nice and in depth review of his pack here though

21 Likes

Absolutely and the same here. I love a good discussion! I think its important to consider all sides when making a decision. I am not strongly for or against any particular option so I love just brainstorming things out and hearing folks opinions.

13 Likes

@The_Lazy_Hippie i gotta say personally I love the idea of the futuristic way to send and share proven cuts. I feel like the cut sharing culture that used to exist on OG and in person has been decimated due to the pests and pathogens that it spread, so if thereā€™s a way to bypass that and participate in that clone sharing community without risking whatever other seed work you might have already done or plan on doing in your own garden Iā€™d be 100% for it. Itā€™d be so cool to be able to discuss cuts and traits amongst other growers with a totally object baseline for description like that

11 Likes

:eyes::fire:

13 Likes

I had to read through this thread to catch up on what you are proposing. Itā€™s a cool idea.

Iā€™m a craft cultivator who basically does exactly what you are proposing. Since I have been there done that, Im going to try to give some feedback.

1. Tissue culture takes months for meristem and/or shoot propagation. This makes coordination difficult. You will have people commit up front, but will pull out 8 months later when your cuts are hardened. Its a timing thing, most people dont know how crazy life can be in 8 months.

Cloning from a healthy mother plant only takes 1-2 weeks, hardening procedures are easy, plants are much more hardy. You are also looking at $100-150 in materials and labor per plant to put into TC, and then $30-40/month per cut for storage.

1. Plan on having an actual mom room for cuts that you send out. TC is for making new moms and long term storage. Growers without experience hardening TC plants will kill TC plants. Unless you want to do all the hardening yourself, then might as well mom the TC plants out and send off cuts instead.

2. Good idea, TC is great for backups and storage.

3. I dont like that idea much, if you are going to be selecting males based on how females looked/performed (matching game), then you might as well kill all males and re pop when you are ready to do the male selection.

Better idea would be to grow males and females side by side, take cuts from each plant to store in TC (or a basic mom room would be just fine for this), grow out females and select, collect pollen from all males. Hit keeper females and true breeding cuts with pollen from males, track the crosses, pop the seeds, determine which males work the best, then bring that male out of TC for more work. Kill the rest of them unless more than one stands out.

1. Theres your F2!

This is actually exactly what Im am doing right now. I just outsource the TC work for now because I dont have time, but we are building our own little storage TC lab for fun. Its basically just a laminar flow hood, couple racks with LEDs, autoclave, etc. Its more for cleaning genetics and storage, not mass propagating cuts.

I have 16 SSDD plants in flower now long with lots of other hybrids. If you want me to save you some of the work, I can just send whoever the best 4-5 cuts after re veg.

37 Likes

I tested goji b cut and Nepali og x g13hp back in the dayā€¦I found some nice stuff in those, but also kept cuts for a awhile and did some f2 seedsā€¦ Iā€™m happy that the goji razz x g13hp hit the market! Should be some awesome gear in there! One of the Nepali og x g13hp I had tested hit 34% TAC

20 Likes

More people just need to hunt, document, repro, and share cuts. Mom the keepers out, take cuts, put into water bottles or vaccum bag, send out when weather is cool.

Pathogens are less of an issue now that we are aware of them and know how to fight them. Regardless of TC vs clone, proper quarantine procedures should ALWAYS be followed when taking in cuts. Take them in without roots, wash them off, quarantine, easy peasy.

Seeds can cross borders, can travel on planes, can sit in a fridge for 20 years and still be viable. I think more focus needs to be had on male selection and refining populations, not open pollination where we reinforce unwanted feral traits.

29 Likes

Nepali OG x 88g13hp is known as Kalifornia, buddy of mine just sent over some Kalifornia F2s to look through. They also report some crazy high THC keepers from their pops.

23 Likes

This :100:
Finding good stable males that reliably pass what you want is hard but thatā€™s where most of the great lines came from. Not just using whatever male pops out all willy nilly.

Took Bodhi years to find that other SSDD male
Took BOG years to find that Sour Bubble male to make Sour Bubble F2ā€™s
Took Nevil years to find the Haze A/B/C
etcā€¦

26 Likes

I highly recommend running through them. I still have a pack of the original Bodhi sent me for testing and reporting, but in the f2ā€™s I found some gems!

12 Likes