Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 2)

Looks great. That artifact 1 keeps slipping by me

9 Likes

Nice! Hows it smelling?

7 Likes

It was smelling like grilled beef a few weeks ago. Like you sat at a stop light by a Burger King.

Now it’s kind of like a floral incense. Kinda florally and sweet. But also something there I can’t describe.

15 Likes

ya they are all just business owners at the end of the day and there is nothing wrong with that.
The Genetic Designer beans are huge money… but i bet out there somewhere there are commercial growers who think a few grand for seeds is nothing if the genetics are killer. I don;t know as I have never grown them

I’ve grown lots of DBJ’s Bad Dawg crosses… don’t think I have ever met a hermie in his plants and if I go back over the years I think I gave grown out close to dozen now both indoors and out.
It may be news to some but the current day GLG came to be with Bodhi’s direct involvement as far as the story I remember goes. The history on GLG is not hard to find. As both a breeder and a seed buyer both… I almost exclusively deal with them. I’ll continue to pop Bad Dawg freebies with confidence too.
I don’t know all the ins and outs of the seed game and who is using what with who’s permission or who is hacking on who’s work. So for that I am not gonna throw stones.

18 Likes

Its funny to me that people shit on Bodhi for selling F1’s.

You know who else sold F1’s and everyone wishes they had his originals?
Neville.

Both breeders realize that growers really want F1’s because of increased vigor and resistance
If you search, you can find F1 clomes of NL5/Haze outperforming seed plants of other strains that were planted months before the clones.
F1’s are superior.

F1’s got a bad name about 8yrs ago when backyard breeders like Masonic and others were throwing random seeds together of untested parents and selling untested seeds.
But, Bodhi spends years testing the parents and uses a large pool of growers to test his seeds.
In fact, Bodhi does the best job I know of at testing males. Thats why I like using Bodhi and Doc D gear as my males in my breeding.

My best gear that has won awards and changed the market of several farms were all my F1’s.
You get more consistent genotypes. Paramount vigor. The most resistance. And magic that you just dont get in IBL’s. In fact, IBLs are known for having lost their magic and are only desirable as having locked down a desired trait that then needs to be outcrossed or Bxed to bring back the magic.

37 Likes

:point_up:t5:This Mother f#@cker said some smart shit then…well said​:laughing::laughing::love_you_gesture:t5:. Maybe I’ll star looking into males from b’s gear rather than just hunting that one unicorn female

15 Likes

Bodhi says his seeds are just a starting point I believe. I always find great stuff when I cross his stuff to my clone moms.

12 Likes

Well said!

7 Likes

I think a good sign of the depth and history of B’s tester program is how many highly respected users here are longtime testers for him, as well as how (I believe) both Doc D and Strayfox got their starts as breeders that way, probably along with others I’m not aware of, but I’d love to hear about. To my understanding, that’s why they both have an ongoing relationship with him sharing genetics, besides their own talents and contributions.

21 Likes

Copied-and-pasted from the log:

Dread Bread #2 Smoke Report

Looks:

That nug weighed 5.6 grams, so… Pretty good density on these flowers. You can feel the density, too, pretty rock-solid nugs.

Smell: Similar to the #1 Dread Bread, with that tropical fruit smell, like mango, I guess. Has the same sort of tangerine smell once the flowers are broken up, too, just like the #1 plant.

Taste: Again, very similar to the #1 plant. Sort of “dry” on the inhale, like champagne, with a lightly fruity exhale. It’s not bad or anything, but it’s not a highlight, either. I do wonder how much better it’d taste if the drying conditions had been ideal. Or even close to ideal.

High: This is where the #2 plant differs big-time from the #1 plant. I really like the high on the #1, but there aren’t exactly definitive standout qualities that I can point to and say,“This is why the #1 Dread Bread plant kicks ass.” It’s like all of the qualities just combine into a nice smoke.

The #2, however, has lots and lots of standout qualities haha. It’s very spacy, almost “dreamy,” really giggly and super-happy. The “dreamy” aspect of the high makes me think that she’s leaning towards the OMG-side of the cross, despite the fact that she leaned towards the Mango Biche-side as far as plant morphology was concerned.

No rush at all on the come-up with the #2 (or the #1, either, for that matter). And despite the “spaciness/dreaminess,” it’s sorta functional. I mean, I’ve done pretty well answering questions while watching Jeopardy! after smoking it, but I’ll also sometimes get up off the couch to do something and forget what it is I got up to do in the three seconds it takes to walk into the kitchen or the grow room or wherever haha. I wouldn’t blaze this one before working out, either, as it’s pretty dang relaxing. Or I dunno, maybe I could work out after smoking it, but I probably wouldn’t want to haha.

Also, HUGE munchies with the #2. Ordinarily I’d like that, as I tend to enjoy weed that makes me super-hungry and empty out the fridge, but since I’m trying to lose a little weight right now, it’s not ideal haha. Still, I wouldn’t say that that’s a “negative” aspect of the high. I’ve yet to dislike any weed that makes me hungry as shit haha.

The comedown does get a little lethargic, but I’m not sure I’d consider this “bedtime weed.” I haven’t smoked it before bed yet, anyway, but I bet I could and have no trouble falling asleep.

After I got up out of bed and made myself a second dinner… haha.

Anyway, yeah, this is great weed. I like it more than the #1 Dread Bread plant, for sure. The #1’s probably better if I need to actually do something, but since I really don’t ever have much to do, I prefer the #2. Awesome weed.

39 Likes

And here’s a Zap plant that I noticed was a male yesterday.

I’m gonna trash him in a little bit, just have him sitting out on the dining room table right now, but I figured I’d post a few pics because he’s pretty cool-looking. All of the others did the same thing he’s doing after I topped them, where they all kind of “opened up” and spread out like that. I like the way the leaves look, too, relatively thin and “Sativa-esque” and really defined serrations, as well.

Today’s veg day 48, btw, the rest are gonna get flipped in a week, maybe, maybe a little sooner than that. I have some other plants that’re a month ahead of these and those older plants are starting to dwarf everything else haha, so… Might flip in just a few days, I dunno.

37 Likes

I’d wonder if that’s a vietnamese/thai leaner? There’s no double serrations i’d expect to see from the oaxacan side. Whats the stem rub on that dude? And compared to the girls?

16 Likes

some pretty fade pictures on my outdoor about a week left so stoked to smoke some sun grown organic pot :grin:

34 Likes

Aw, dude, you know I never do stem rubs haha. Luckily, I still haven’t killed him, so I just checked it out. It’s kind of “briny,” actually, almost like pickle juice or something? I could feel it in the corners of my mouth after I smelled my fingers, the way the corners of your mouth kind of water after you eat something sour or tart or pickle-y or whatever.

As far as the girls, I just looked in the tent and there’s only one Zap left haha. I guess I’ve been killing them as they’ve shown male and forgot that I’d already killed a few. I usually don’t really start paying attention to what all I have growing until I flip, so… Kinda blows that there’s only one left (and I’m not certain that that plant’s a female yet), I was hoping for more than that (obviously haha), but there’s still four of nube’s Pura Vida f2’s and four of Doc’s Sour Diesel x Dragon Energy, in addition to the other stuff that’s a month ahead, so…

28 Likes

I swear when I do stem rubs they all smell the same to me :thinking:

17 Likes

Some Sunshine Daydream pictures re-posting from my thread . Very high odor & difficult to get pictures that do the plant justice.

52 Likes

I would say you did it some justice, those pics are :bomb:

13 Likes

Yeah, I had to rub the stem a few times before I picked up on the brininess of that Zap plant; initially it just smelled like how vegging plants always smell. I feel like the further along they are, especially after they’ve been flowering for a while, it’s easier to pick up on stuff if you do a stem rub or whatever. But everything changes so much throughout the course of a grow and especially after drying and curing that I’ve found things like stem rubs and flower squeezes to be pretty pointless.

Except that it smells good haha.

I understand why holy would be interested in that, though, because he’s always making seeds and shit. If you’re looking for something specific in potential breeding plants and you know what you’re looking for, stem rubs etc are helpful in determining early on what might be best to use as a pollen donor/seed maker. I doubt that that Zap plant is gonna end up smelling/tasting “briny” when all is said and done, though haha, but you never know. Maybe it will…

21 Likes

This is an extremely salty take, man. Who hurt you so bad that you’re dividing the world of people who work with Bodhi’s genetics into two kinds of breeders like that? Given B’s propensity to chuck and move on, rather than line work most of his creations after release, I’m not sure what the complaint is about other breeders offering F2s as freebies? That it’s somehow indicative of their own work not being any good? It seems like that’s what you’re saying, and that doesn’t really make any sense to me, to be honest. Can’t see the cause and effect there, maybe you can explain it to me.

3 Likes

Stem rubs can mean everything if you follow them and grow all the plants under the same nutes/conditions. Check the smells at similar plant ages. etc. Anyone that says otherwise, isn’t paying attention IMO.

Like this Hollywood Pure Kush has an earthy smelling stem rub. Pretty light too. I haven’t grown the ghash but I bet it’s got a very different smelling stem rub. Could use that knowledge to look through the Pura Vida’s to find the one’s whose stem rub most smell like an earthy smell. I’d bet you a dollar those will probably be your HPK leaners come flower time.

The Triangle Kush has a stem rub that smells like wood. I’ve been using that to find the TK leaning TriForce as the kryptonite line generally has a very diffferent, very acrid stem rub. Flower just started so I’ll know for sure here in a couple months if my picks were accurate. But my SSDD F2 girl has like a bright citrus/sour thing going on and I was able to use that to find the pure sour butter SSDD F1 and SSDD F2 BX1 I grew out last summer. Picked them in veg based on the stem rub alone and sure enough by the end of flower i was right. I haven’t been steered wrong yet by stem rubs.

This can happen, especially if all the plants are related or from the same pack. There can end up being only very subtle differences between the plants. Using paper strips to take the stem rubs instead of your fingers can be very helpful to separate those nuances out, and not contaminate it from the oil in your fingers.

26 Likes