Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 2)

Beautiful as always @syzygy

12 Likes

Weā€™re talking Space Monkey and Sun Ra, a couple faves on this hill.

17 Likes

Herer HP. 55 days from flip.

Not that I could smell much anyway, but I still have covid nose, so Iā€™m smelling even less :frowning:

Sheā€™s much frostier in person, and more greasy than sticky. Lots and lots of medium sized buds on long internodes.

Probably got a couple more weeks :yum:

44 Likes

The description of the high of #2, and the munchies, does sound like the old Lumbo descriptions Ive read

4 Likes

It seem like the best practices in this situation are to throw away all biological material including the soil and fabric pots, do a deep clean with bleach on all surfaces in the grow space and all garden tools, and trimming tools. Followed by a dormant period for 30 days before resuming cultivation.

check out plantshepherdā€™s thread for some very good info on the kinds of pests and viruses currently threatening the commercial industry.

This is why I only grow from seed in my indoor grow. When I get clones to run outdoor, I only get fully tested cuts from olcc licensed nurseries. And I get them direct from the nursery, not from a dispensary retailer. So there is no risk of contamination after the state mandated plant health testing for cuttings has been performed by the nursery.

Following up on this, I asked copa about the variegated appalachia. They said that they donā€™t know what causes the variegation, but that they think it is an indication of potency within the line.

Chem D is in the Appy lineage and the male I used is a Chem D leaner. The Chem D cut has variegated traits. The P25 also has variegation as well but is unrelated genetically (as far as I know) to Chem D. In my experienceā€¦ variegation is a good indicator of potency. I am a selective breeder, not a scientist. I hope this helps.

Good helpful reply from copa.

Itā€™s cool that copa is being honest about the presence of this trait and his observations, and not just arbitrarily saying it is clean. (as many clone and seed sellers have done.)

I would definitely like to see someone get this stuff tested. A negative test would be a very interesting result. It can in rare cases present as a genetic trait- it occasionally shows up in blueberry seed lines as a result of colchicine treatments early in the breeding process.

Sounds like it is good smoke, but without a clean lab test I wouldnā€™t want to risk introducing this to my perpetual indoor medical grow. Too much risk with this setup. I recycle my soil, grow my own selected cuts and mothers for long periods of time, breed, and I canā€™t pause between cycles for a 30 day dormant period to clear the grow space of viroids.

If you were just growing for bud and throw out your soil and deep clean after every round, it could be a different equation.

18 Likes

Hahahaā€¦ Of course. Any sorta freak mutation, variegation, twisted leaves or otherwise unusual growth characteristic always means,ā€Thatā€™s what you wanna look for!ā€

14 Likes

Heh, speaking of, check out this old ad from High Times back in 79!

When I grew out JOTIā€™s Afghani line, as well as AKBBā€™s 89NL line, I saw heavy mutations, tons of whorled phyllotaxy, things that looked like two different plant structures trying to grow in the same body, etc. A lot of things that make me think Colchicine was used in the past. I doubt thatā€™s the only line it would have happened to too. Especially considering ads like this, way back then.

20 Likes

I happened to see this, and realized people here would probably find it pretty funny.

Alibaba presents knockoff Cookies logo merch
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804166476521.html

In all likelihood, this is sold direct by the factory that actually produces the merch for bernerā€™s company.

Itā€™s very common for chinese factories to continue producing the old style whenever a new version comes out. Theyā€™re not going to waste the investment on the factory tooling they made to produce the old design.

Hereā€™s the new style for sale on the cookies website- clearly the same hat, same logo, now with blue embroidery thread and a heat transfer print on top.

$29 vs $3.49 direct from the factory in china.

edit- and they had previously sold that exact style for $27.

I think the hat showed up on alibaba due to targeted advertising. Thatā€™s what I get for looking for electronics parts on sketchy alibaba.

14 Likes

Just saw a video of Berner giving and teaching Cannabis to Erykah Badu.

Disappointed that she ainā€™t call me :disappointed:.

Berner

13 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting bit of strain lineage I found and wanted to leave here, Bodhiā€™s Nigerian line is likely Reefermanā€™s Pure Nigerian, sourced from and reproduced for Karma G.

18 Likes

Nierika did a Reefermanā€™s Nigerian x Afghani release. I think in one of the Potcast interviews Bodhi said he reproā€™d a bunch of seeds that Reefā€™s former business associate (he said something along the lines of ā€œthe guy who ran his websiteā€) had ripped off. I suspect it was the Dutch guy who ran RMā€™s seed business after Reef fled Canada. From what I recall it was clear there may have been a certain level of karmic revenge involved, for people B knew who Reef had ripped off.

Admittedly I listened to that interview years ago and was high.

14 Likes

I read the guy from.copa claim this about the appy f4 variegated (to indicate high potency). To me it sounded like supreme bullshit. But I have no idea.

14 Likes

I tested a Big Sur Nigerian x NL2 cross for Bodhi a few years ago, he said it was an old Nigerian clone from, uh, Big Sur haha thatā€™d been around that area for years. I dunno if thatā€™s the same Nigerian heā€™s working with now, though.

I mean, any sorta mutation is just that: a mutation. I guess not all mutations are ā€œbadā€ per se, but if I were a breeder, Iā€™d subscribe to the Luther Burbank Philosophy of Plant Breeding haha, which is basically,ā€Accept the best, reject all others.ā€ Variegation can be an indicator of a plant virus, soā€¦ It isnā€™t always indicative of a virus, but Iā€™d probably try to avoid those variegated plants if I could.

I had a Rare Dankness plant that was variegated, canā€™t remember if it was the Moonshine Haze or the Midas, but it was pretty cool-looking. Turned out male, so I never flowered him out. I wouldā€™ve if it was a female, but I donā€™t think I woulda used it for making seeds. Thatā€™s just me, though haha.

17 Likes

If itā€™s variegated Iā€™d soonest think it was infected with TMV or similar virus with no bearing on potency whatsoever. Technically variegated plants donā€™t photosynthesize correctly due to lack of chlorophyll so all things being equal, the variegated plant should be LESS potent than the same plant non-variegated.

In the appyā€™s case, I could see the variegation possibly meaning itā€™s a chem d leaner, but even then Iā€™d want that virus test to be negative in order to really think so.

And if it is a chem d leaner, H&L technically bred Appalachia to be a better Green Crack, not a chem line.

19 Likes

This is a really interesting point I havenā€™t considered, like how UV-protective melanin also limits Vitamin D production in human skin and people with more melanin need more sunlight than someone as pale as me to make a healthy amount of Vitamin D, in exchange for a lower skin cancer risk. Everythingā€™s a balance in nature wherever you look, I suppose. So the variegated leaves or parts of leaves would function as sinks rather than sources almost immediately, and be an overall drag on photosynthetic efficiency. Great point! Also I did not know that about H&L breeding for a better Green Crack, I can see how that would have made Bodhi look to use it as a stud line since heā€™s kinda always looking for some sort of stabilized cross with some specific traits, I guess in this case it was the rot resistance along with the potency increase over the GC cut.

@minitiger I would tend to agree, mutations arenā€™t necessarily bad but in a world of nearly unlimited seeds to pop and look through, IDK if Iā€™d stick with any mutated plants for long unless I had been told it was something to look for by the breeder. I have some Blue Tara F3s a month old that are all different but two are weirdos, presumably from the Blue Moonshine in the Bubbashine, since DJ (probably) got freaky with the colchicine at some point or another. One is doing the whorled phyllotaxy thing, while being also the healthiest of the three, so while I have no reason to like that itā€™s happening, I guess itā€™s the category of a whatever mutation?

#1 Blue Tara on the bottom has been growing twisty since its first set of leaves

#2 in the middle is pretty normal looking if small

#3 in the back is a tiny lil runt but otherwise totally healthy at all stages so far and drinking water at a surprising rate so it lives on for now

Really sad that Bodhi lost the Bubbashine after only making three crosses and releasing two, itā€™s a fascinating (hahaha see what I did there) line to grow so far:

23 Likes

man i had no idea that H&L had bred the Appy for outdoor, i feel like ive never heard of anyone running it outside, but it all kind of makes since when its broken down like that ^^ now im even more bummed i missed the drop (well i didnt miss it as much as i am just fucking broke haha) but i saw a post of his saying restocks are headed to HG and Riotseeds soon, sounds like hes climbing back on the breeding horse in general so we might see more stuff coming out of his camp at more regular intervals now

15 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the thing. And especially if youā€™re a breeder or whatever. Youā€™re trying to tell me that the best plants were the fucked-up ones? Haha. Not YOU, @Dirt_Wizard, Iā€™m talking to the ā€œbreedersā€ right now. But yeah, it seems like if youā€™re going through decent numbers to find a particularly good male or female to make seeds with and the one you settled on was the variegated or otherwise kinda ā€œfucked-upā€ plant to use, youā€™re either ignorant or lazy. Maybe bothā€¦

Yeah, the whirled phyllotaxy thing is supposed to be an indicator of leaning in the direction of either the mom or dad in certain crosses. I know itā€™s supposed to be an indicator of Cuban Black Haze-leaning plants in those crosses. One of my Bandaid Hazes was doing that in veg, but, like that Rare Dankness plant, it turned out male so it didnā€™t get flowered.

Still, whirled phyllotaxy doesnā€™t weird me out as much as variegation does. I dunnoā€¦

I love that youā€™ve been keeping that one runt Blue Tara around, though haha. Every time I see your updates, Iā€™m like,ā€Man, heā€™s still got that one tiny plant in thereā€¦ā€ It does look like itā€™s doing something, though, finally. Definitely bigger than it was a couple weeks ago hahaā€¦

16 Likes

DirtWizard is an equal opportunity cultivator :joy:

11 Likes

I get hooked growth like that sometimes if my calcium and/or mag is low. Iā€™m actually trialing switching veg nutes to jacks 20/20/20(coming from gypsum+maxibloom) and not adding any calmag causes that hooked looking growth rather immediately. I just added calmag at 2ml/gal and seeing if that fixes my growth issues with this jacks. But yeah Iā€™d think itā€™d be something to do with that and maybe not a mutation of the plant. These bubbashine plants seem to be heavy feeders.

12 Likes

Man I just got so blown away by the last runt I plonked in the center of the tent a foot down from the canopy, it had terrible structure and bud formation and also was plastered with perfect dry sift trichomes on every leaf. Iā€™d take that chance for some hash from a Bubbashine plant, yessir if that runt turns out female sheā€™s going in a corner in flower as a hashplant. I know Bodhi seems to breed for flower and maybe modern extraction but basically all the parents in Blue Tara are known to be dank hash producers.

@LegsMahoney Iā€™m here to give every Bodhi plant in my garden a chance whether itā€™s for bud or sift.

12 Likes