Bodhi Spirit Train- Trainwreck Pheno Hunt

I’ve never made seeds, so I really have no idea, but it seems to me that letting them go longer would give you better odds of having a shitload of mature seeds. Better to wait an extra week just to be sure rather than ending up with a bunch of immature seeds, even at the expense of having good smoke. I think haha.

3 Likes

Correct, if you’re growing to make seeds you should let the plant mature longer than normal to increase the number of mature seeds, you can also chop off the higher parts first and let the lower stuff continue to mature as well, either way I would let all parts of the plant mature longer than you normally would if you were harvesting for the bud only.

4 Likes

I always have some immature seeds
my rule of thumb is 6 weeks from when they were well pollinated
if not sure leave an extra week
looking good !

6 Likes

Couldn’t you just harvest most and leave the pollinated parts?

yes you could do that, but I think he pollinated the whole plant

Open pollination my friend. Was a major spoogfest in my grow room for a couple weeks

Thanks @SamwellBB! I’ll go back in this thread and see when I removed the males from the room. That may leave me with another week or so.

3 Likes

From my thread, looks like the pollination occurred over a week’s timeframe from Dec 19th-26th. 6 weeks from when I pulled the boys will be next weekend. Looks like it’ll be another week til finish.

I hope my #9 that I cut last week has some mature seeds, if when it finished is an indication of seedless flowering times, thats a quick finisher for a sativa dom strain for sure!

@SamwellBB - do the calyxes start fading to a brown or yellow on your seeded plants? The one I already cut looked like the flowers were degrading fast, thats why I chopped it. Looks like a few of the others are beginning that degradation as well now but another week should be totally cool.

2 Likes

they normally fade or change color some but not so far as to be yellow or brown - that is not something I have paid much attention to
I count the weeks from the pollination
I do sometimes take a bud off and see what’s going on
what you wrote above sounds good

4 Likes

Cut these babies Friday night. Cleaned all the seed out of #9 which finished a lot earlier than the rest. Realized I won’t be doing an open pollination again. Way too many seeds and very little smoke able weed. Will have to harvest pollen and only pollinate branches so I don’t end up w as many seeds as I got this time.

Also got a new cell phone this weekend so my pics should be improving a whole lot after this.

All in all, this pack did not yield what I was looking for with a heavy train wreck leaning pheno. However, I’m going to run all the females again unseeded so I can gauge characteristics before dumping any of the moms. I think I’ll probably keep whichever yields best and has the best structure, possibly #9 if it really finishes that early, and #7 bc its terps were much different than the rest.

20 Likes

My cloner works, just takes about 3x as long as expected. Got all but #2 & #9 rooted so I can replace the 3.5ft tall mothers from seed i have going right now.

Edit: well new cell phone pics are too big to post. Bah! I’ll figure it out tonight when I have time to mess w it. This pic is still w old crappy phone a few days ago, roots were a lot bigger yesterday before I planted them.

16 Likes

sorry you got so many seeds and ruined the sensimilla for you. hopefully you end up getting a pheno you really love though.

2 Likes

Oh its all good! I knew I’d have a ton of seeds by doing the open pollination, didn’t realize until I started shucking seeds how long it would actually take!

12 Likes

Shucking is endless.
I still have 6 trays of seeded bud from last october’s outdoor harvest waiting to be processed.
And 5 turkey bags of lebanese landrace that need to be shucked before I can send it out for the seed run co-op.

7 Likes

Put a pic and let’s have game going on !!!

Guess the amount of seeds… 5 turkey bags holy @@@ and 6 trays !!..

I feel almost bad for you @zephyr :laughing:

7 Likes

soft paddle paint mixer in a bucket. strips seeds quick

1 Like

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Warner-9-1-2-in-Plastic-Paint-Mixer-192500/205052977

3 Likes

Nice! For $4 worth a try!!

1 Like

Great thread. I will be trying that paint mixer too.

1 Like

I made some dry ice hash out of some seeded bud. Upon germination test they were all still good. That may cut the time down a little and you’d still get the good stuff out of them.

3 Likes

I guess if you didn’t get crazy with it all would work out pretty well.

1 Like