Bodhi Time Bandit and Goji

I count the days from flip. I switched to 11.5/12.5 21days ago, on July 9, so… Holy shit, is today July 30th? Jesus… Anyway, yeah, I count from the day I flipped. Especially when I’m growing multiple strains (I usually have at least three or four strains going each cycle), it’d be way too much of a pain in the ass to count any other way.

I haven’t put my nose into any of the plants yet, haven’t even done a stem rub, so I’m not sure what the frost smells like. Any smells I’ve detected have just been when I open the tent in the morning, close the tent at night, when I’m moving them in and out of the tent to water etc. I really don’t put a whole lot of stock into what they smell like during flower (or even after they’ve been hanging and drying), just because the smells and flavors usually change so much after I jar everything up and let it cure for a few weeks/months. Like last summer I had that Pinball Wizard, smelled reeeeallllyyyyy hazy on the day I chopped, got me super-excited. After drying and while I was trimming, the flowers wreaked like fresh lemon, the smell was so strong I couldn’t get it out of my mouth for two days after jarring. After a few week’s cure the lemon flavor mellowed, but was still present and the haze spiciness had returned, as well a sort of cat-pissy thing.

So, yeah, I really only mentioned what they’re smelling like right now because people sometimes ask haha. Last time I grew Goji, I had two females, one of which was not lanky at all, had really thin Sativa-esque leaves but it didn’t stretch at all in flower. That one actually tasted very, very goji-ish, more goji flavored than any Goji I’d ever tried before then. I can’t remember offhand what the other one was like, but I know it wasn’t lanky. And the two I have growing right now are definitely not lanky either. One thing I like about my Apache (grow light) is that it tends to keep my plants really compact and my plants seem to grow strong enough stems that I rarely need support. That could just be the genetics, as well as the fact that I water with potassium silicate every few weeks. I dunno. But it’s been a while since I had to stake and tie and stake and tie.

Pretty curious to see my next grow, as I have a BUNCH of different Ghost, Triangle, Tahoe and other OG crosses (along with a lot of other stuff) that I’m gonna get into. I know that OG’s are known for being super-lanky, so we’ll see how they turn out. And no, I didn’t collect any pollen. I dunno why I get nervous about making my own seeds, but I do. I don’t know if I’m worried about accidentally pollinating entire pants or what, but I’ve yet to make f2’s of anything. I was planning on doing that with the Silver Mountains I ran last grow, even had a male isolated and getting ready to drop pollen. But then I had to go to Florida for a family emergency and I didn’t wanna ask my girl to be dealing with both the male I had in the garage and the females I had flowering in the tent. So I killed him. I’ll make f2’s one of these days. Kinda hoping to find a spectacular male to utilize.

And no, I’ve never thought the Feds were normal people haha. But it is still definitely shocking to see that shit. Things are just gonna keep escalating, these next few months are gonna be fucking out of control.

Anyway, I keep forgetting to post full garden shots, which is something I usually do in my grow logs. So here it is haha!

19 Likes

Good deal on the standard counting. :slight_smile: And I agree about the smells changing so much from start to jars that it makes no difference, I’m just curious for when I grow my own so I can compare phenos along the way.

The garden looks fantastic, I love the even canopy and those plants fit in there perfectly. I feel the same about most strains and I think it’s a combo of growing organic and using modern LEDs. They’re just stouter plants in almost all cases. I’m gonna test that theory when I eventually get my 2700k 90cri Blux EB3 strips fired up…it’s pretty orange/red.

Don’t be scared of F2’ing. It’s easy and rewarding and will give you beans to share! :slight_smile: Flowering males until they almost dump, then chopping tops and putting into a vase works great. Pretty easy to isolate the pollen and do the selective-bud/branch pollination, too. Safe and effective! Like the pill!

11 Likes

Yeah, I really lucked out re: canopy height. Weird, too, because some of the plants were only topped once and some were topped twice. There’s actually a lot more room in there, it’s just the camera angle. I could easily fit three more in there and probably even six more. It’d be a little tight, but twelve plants is doable in that tent, especially now that I have the second light.

There’s a lot of white in my light, I think it’s 3:2 red to white, which may explain the lack of stretch? I dunno. My Tree of Lifes stretched pretty good, as did my first run of Larry Lotuses and a couple others. But it’s been a while since I’ve had any plants stretch way out of control.

I hear you on the f2’s. I’ll do it one of these days. I just got sooooo many new beans recently that my next two runs are gonna be small starts of a bunch of different strains, just to get a look at them. After that I’ll do larger runs of only one or two strains and I’ll start making seeds. I got multiple packs of multiple strains this summer, so I feel comfortable just growing out three or four seeds of each at a time initially, because I’ll still have a pack and a half, two and a half packs, three and a half etc. Ya know?

9 Likes

I’m digging your journal, looking forward to watching those goji’s grow out. I have Strawberry Goji and Dragon’s Milk in my collection so I’m digging watching how your OG Goji (see what I did there) turns out.

5 Likes

How’s the gnatrol working out? Hope the enemy numbers were decimated and you’re winning not just the battle, but the war against the nefarious gnats.

2 Likes

Really, really well, thanks for asking. I watered with a Gnatrol/OG Biowar Roots pack combo today, but I’m not sure it was necessary. I only saw a couple flying around and none crawling on the mulch like I had been. I changed out a couple of the sticky traps on each plant, as well, just so I can see if any new gnats show up on them in the next few days. But yeah, fingers crossed that they’re completely gone. I can’t imagine that they’ll be around after this last dose.

Thanks a lot for suggesting that. I was starting to think that gnats were gonna be something that I just have to deal with every grow. Which was bumming me the fuck out haha!

5 Likes

Yeah, these Gojis are growing completely different from the ones I grew the first time, four or five years ago. I’m liking these a lot better than those. Pop those beans, dude! I dunno how much (if any) of Bodhi’s gear you’ve run, but out of the twenty of so crosses of his that I’ve grown, I’ve only been disappointed by two. And that was more of a personal preference thing. The quality was great, but the flavors weren’t my favorite.

6 Likes

Great! That’s fantastic news. :slight_smile: Glad to hear your success!

I’ve come to accept gnats are just a part of organic growing, but gnatrol sure does make it easier and cheaper than dunks/bits to get rid of them every couple/few months when their population inevitably explodes. And now I don’t have to feel like throwing out used soil due to infestation.

As a preventative, I do two doses right before flowering, a week or two apart, to hopefully break the gnat lifecycle. And every couple months in normal veg for everything but seedlings.

7 Likes

Yeah, I remember you saying that. That’ll be what I do from here on out as well, water with it once they’re in their flowering containers, but before I flip. I dunno why the gnats only show up once I get the plants in the flowering containers. They’re not there in veg. And I’m super-anal about my grow area, too. We don’t have any real houseplants inside, only fake ones, specifically to avoid pests. And I only wear shorts and flip flops when I’m in there dealing with the plants. No shirt, nothing that might brush up against the plants. And I scrub the SHIT out of my hands and forearms before I deal with the plants, too, like I’m prepping for surgery. I dunno. Weird.

6 Likes

You’re a lot better about that than me. I try to do as little as possible in the garden, but I will change clothes and wash between working in the outside and inside gardens. I guess I’m lazy but not negligent?

Resilience and self-maintaining is one reason I went organic water only soil. Definitely lazy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Well, the clothes thing is no big deal. I haven’t worn anything but shorts and flip flops since we started quarantining in mid-March haha. Can’t remember the last time I put on a shirt…

6 Likes

Alright, day 33 of flower today. I’m really surprised at how quickly the Time Bandits seem to be flowering. I thought they’d be a ten week strain, but they’re looking like they’ll probably take only nine weeks and maybe even quicker than that. I dunno, we’ll see. But there are a bunch of nugs on the Time Bandit #4 that look done already, which really couldn’t be possible, but still… They do look near done. I tried to get some pics of them, let’s see if I got any decent ones.

Time Bandit #4

Okay, maybe not quite as finished as they look to my naked eye, but still a lot more orange pistils than I would’ve anticipated this early on.

And here’s the Time Bandit #2

Time Bandit #3

And the Time Bandit #6

And here are the two Gojis. They look like they’re at least a week behind the Time Bandits, which is fine. I’m always suspicious of plants that take fewer than ten weeks to flower haha…

Goji #3

I went a little light on the watering a couple days ago, just because I went heavy two waterings ago, when I watered with Gnatrol and the OG Biowar Roots pack. It looks to me like the Goji #3 really didn’t appreciate it, got those sagging leaves and all. But I watered pretty heavily with TM7 today, hopefully she’ll look a little perkier later today.

And here’s the Goji #9

I’m pretty stoked about these two Gojis. When I first put them in the dirt, it was really only because I thought that I should grow some of my old seed stock before I got into some of the new stuff. I wasn’t amped to be growing them or anything, but I really like the way they’re growing and looking. I mean, I like the Time Bandits, too. But I’m much more intrigued by the Gojis today than I was when I put the seeds in the dirt three months ago.

Or whatever haha! Anyway…

29 Likes

Love how detailed your log is. I also love the training of your plants. Time bandit sounds amazing and Goji is not disappointing me at all.
:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

Those there Time Bandits are looking mighty fine bruv 2,3 & 4 :ok_hand::ok_hand:

6 Likes

yeah +1 to what Vagabond and Sunvalley said! Everything looks fantastic! Are you right around week 6 or so? If so those time bandits do look like they’ll be 8-9 weekers, Goji’s likely 9-10 but they’re not far off either. Keep it up, nice job for sure! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

@Vagabond_Windy I actually haven’t done any training yet. I topped them, some of them once, some twice. But no training. I was thinking a couple weeks ago that I might tie some branches down a little bit to let the light penetrate lower, but the way they’ve been growing, I haven’t felt it was necessary. I do think I’m gonna have to stake and tie pretty soon. When I was taking the plants out today to water, they started doing that swaaayyyyyyying thing that happens when the nugs start getting a little heavier. It’s funny, because I was just telling @nube that I haven’t had to do any staking and tying in a long time, but I’m starting to get the feeling that these’ll need some support.

Thanks, @Sunvalley and @HolyAngel It’s all in the genetics, I dunno what I’m doing haha. And I’m not even at week five yet, day 33 today @HolyAngel. So yeah, I agree with you, I think they’re gonna finish much faster than I thought they would.

6 Likes

Day 33, Wow! Your garden is zipping along, and you’ve got great frost development going on too.

3 Likes

You are in for a treat when you finally get to try the Goji. Time bandits are looking really good as well.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve grown Goji before. Smoked other people’s Goji a bunch, too. Like I said, though, these plants are growing a lot differently than the first time I’ve ran Goji. Definitely looking forward to them.

7 Likes

Nice work. Amazing journal. Can’t go wrong with reiko chiming in one organics/ no till

5 Likes