Bubba Kush cuts …

This bubba thread made me sign up for an OG account. I didn’t realize overgrow was still a site.

I bought a couple packs of “pre ‘98” bubba this year in hopes of getting that delicious coffee, chocolatey kush flavor. One from Katsu and the other from Cali Connect. After reading this thread start to finish to see if the Cali connect seeds are legit, I remain just as curious. I’ll just have to grow them out.

I appreciate the bubba stories and debates but especially the photos. I love that dense, waxy fat leaf and flower, indica look. Regardless to how close they are to the original, I just want that kush flavor and heavy effect.

18 Likes

Welcome @Jimbo802 !

5 Likes

Thank you! Happy to see OG still around

4 Likes

An interesting 2007 thread from a user who went by da GhOsT or a couple other handles, growing in Hawaii and featuring Bubba and 808 OG, nice photos

2 Likes

Id like to see someone self the NL2 and then also do an NL2 x TK/92og

The best Bubba(kush) has the NL2 calyxes - flat top on the bud and the calyxes all circle around and point inward towards the center of the bud, like a crown.
The Green/Katsu kush foxtails and to me is less desirable, though breeders seem to have better luck breeding with the Green/Katsu.

DreddieEddie from Hightimes is from SoCal and moved to Adam and worked under Soma. He is also the source of Bubba and OG that DNA have when he sent them lightly seeded bags of each of those.
He told me Bubba is a barely-worked Afghan, kind of like how PTK is a barely worked Paki.
His Bubbas were the best Ive ever had.
He also made a CBD line out the OG line and it still maintains that freshly-popped can of tennis balls that to me is the only smell I associate with OG.

The Berger cut is similar if not the pre98 in that it has that tiara of inward-pointing swallow-tail calyxes of the Hindu Kush (NL2). The Swerve / Socal Kush also has this.
Its all just work done with the Hindu Kush, likely from the same southern Oregon crew that nDN’s son got the HK from which went on to make NL2 in Washington state and then made famous by Neville.

Fun side note, GSC family shows Hindu Kush in there, and Bubba Kush disappeared from the market as GSC appeared. Humboldt guys told me the BK stopped selling well in SoCal because of assumed racism. Red’n’White told me GSC was made by Skunk x Hindu crossed with either PCK or chemdog male. Either way, GSC was made in Laytonville/Willits and Burner merely got seeded bags and kept popping more of those bag seeds and making up stories about he and Jigga bred them. Umpteen yr old strain and the same BS stories as Chem/Bubba/OG/NL5/Skunk/Capt.Cook’s hemp for ship rigging.

4 Likes

Anyone have Shamus’ cuts?

The Suge PK is more like Bubba than many Bubba’s Ive been seeing since the Phylos/AdamDunn/RealOGStory thing came about

5 Likes

I’m aware of the Bubba x Kush story, and yes that story has been around a while (although i had the pre-98 cut for quite a few years before i heard that story ) - i don’t get too involved in whether or not it is true because we can never know for sure.

but, just saying, i have often referred to the pre98 Bubba Kush as ‘the bubba’ or ‘bubba’ over the years… i’m sure others must have too.

My pre-98 cut has no ‘gas’ that i could describe. More Coffee/mocha/earthy and a tiny hint of berry or something in the background.
VG

8 Likes

What does this “OG” mean in your context?

I’m no expert in Epigenetics. Of course crossing the bubba (kush) with other plants will result in a different terpene profile, and i have made quite a few bubba crosses… but not had any ‘gas’ funk on them unless it has come from the other side of the cross (like Chem D).
Selfing might also have the same effect, but again not really had any gas from S1s either… neither do you see the kind of segregation that you would expect if you were reversing an F1 hybrid or even an F2. Bubba behaves as though it is fairly inbred… or my pre-98 cut does at at least.

If i’ve misunderstood what you are asking then please explain a bit better.
VG

2 Likes

I would imagine most have. It’s easy to do. Also, if the story holds true, no one really got any pure bubba plants, unless they found seeds in the bag, so how would they even know there is a distinction to begin with? 🤷

4 Likes

The bubba we held for 10+ years we just called bubba too as did everyone. It was just bubba Kush forever, but I’m pretty sure it was the pre-98 I’ll know soon. The name game is what starts a lot of the confusion I think and started with guys trying to cash in on cut names.

6 Likes

Kinda weird you would clip those three words out of my original comment. Makes it seem like I said something I didn’t.

3 Likes

That’s precisely why i said what I did last week. 99.9% of the world knows bubba and bubba Kush to be the same thing. So to make distinctions between something that was never accessible to any of us, just causes confusion

6 Likes

Thats about all i know on the subject. I steer clear of epigenetics and and skeptical of them… genetics are hard enough for me to understand and epigenetics kind of negates genetics so…

3 Likes

For sure. And I said what I said because after growing these out, I think that story is true. Least when it comes to that Matt Berger cut. idk on that pre98/Katsu/whatever cuts.

1 Like

Just don’t know what OG means when you guys use it. Acronym for something I thought was original grower original gangster don’t know this shit and too old not to be embarrassed to ask. Just trying to enlighten my mind so my ass can follow bro.

3 Likes

OG Kush, Triangle Kush, The White. These are all “OG” or “Kush” type plants. Fck whatever the acronym is supposed to mean. It’s a cannabis plant type characterized by viney, lanky stems, nuggetty buds, and an earthy aroma which is damn near unmistakable. Not christmas trees, not long cola’s, not bushes, not poles. It’s a specific growth pattern and smell/taste ^^

4 Likes

Yeah but the only problem is, you have zero experience with that bubba that you were speaking of and your pinning your hopes of what you think you know real OG is from some clones you got on the internet that may or may not be it.

So unless you got your OG cut from ghost, Orgnkid or your TK from Ricky. Unless you experienced this bubba plant from Matt. Nothing your saying is definite. It’s conjecture at best

2 Likes

? I grew out the Matt Berger cut 3 times dude.

I said I haven’t tried the other one’s.

Cuts were direct from FarmerJoe so…

4 Likes

Yeah but you’re saying it’s different than “bubba” so what are you talking about ?

2 Likes