Bubba Kush cuts …

well then i’ve been spreading misinfo lmao! whoops. totally thought they were the same. guess ill keep my big mouth shut haha.

3 Likes

You know back in the early day. They’re was no way of publicly documenting your grows. No forums not even internet!

When we had bud back in the 70’s it was either “Gold” or “Kush”. That’s what eveything almost was called.

Hence my 90’s Kush… and my Bubba Kush.
Pictures way up there…:point_up_2:

So IMO… to argue over an issue like this is mute…
Who really knows?
Because the old stuff isn’t around to test to verify. The new has been crossed and through so many hands. Who really knows?

It’s just DAAAAMN good weed!

8 Likes

No, it’s definitely different than the katsu cut.

1 Like

Its was the same in the 90s in Western NY it was either “Brick”which was compressed Mexican that was Golden Brown peppered with seed and if you were lucky there was green brick mexican that had a laughing stone to it or “Mersch seeded commercial bud from Canada probably Korean gang stuff with those shitty beasters ,There was “Skunk”which was anything that was Skunky like a Heineken and you had my favorite “Kindbud” which was pretty much anything Seedless.The only really specific one i seen and ive hunted for years was the “Christmas bud”.Was a Canadian Skunk that was Juniper green Piney and a Mofo dank earth with fire red and orange pistil hairs all over it.Those plants could have been anything and without the original to compare and no real genetic testing for Dna heritage i know of besides phylos i wont go down the rabbit hole its unless you took the cut or popped the bean and with this being an underground cottage industry for so long Its deep and murky waters to tread through

3 Likes

i never knew there was such animosity about the historical province of some of these cuts. Ive accepted im probably never going to find the “og kush” or “bubba kush” from my childhood, now im more focused on finding reliable phenos that i enjoy that remind me of that time. lots of bag seeds have emerged over the years that have proven to be true gems regardless of how long theyve been held by the community.

ive been on the hunt for some “legit” ogs for awhile now. ive resigned to accept whatever i find, wont be “authentic” or "historic"itll just be. enjoyable

6 Likes

I still have some unknown seeds from the 70’s. They must have been good to have saved them. Just a novelty… but I do still have them.

4 Likes

What’s interesting about the lemon or no lemon question is the ghost og has the ability to grow with no lemon and finish as pure skunk funk , I’ve only had her do this one time though every other time was lemon pine floor cleaner kush. Grow her in soil from a young plant vs old there are slight differences , soil vs hydro and more differences occur , she is very sensitive to her environment in regards to what the final outcome will be.
@HolyAngel there is also a coveted cutting known as 92og that is different then the beans that were made with that same name , it’s pure funk every time , puppy breath to dogshit when growing and straight old school musky funk when done. Josh told me directly it’s triangles sister , you can go dog threw his Instagram posts if you doubt this and find me asking under the handle rebellionseeds and reach your own conclusions about what that means…Matt also calls it by this handle.
@Dirtroadfarmer In regards to bubba vs bubba kush I’ve always been told and heard bubba was a unknown northern lights plant and it shot pollen out of nanners onto the og kush , slightly different then a true hermaphrodite, very few people besides Matt and his people grew or ever saw that bubba. I was buying kush in los Angela’s when that happened and they were offering a 1/8 per seed you returned , I only ever found two that were so immature there was zero chance they would grow but who is to say what other people found some and dident know what the cross was… From what I remember soul assassin crew found the viable beans…
There was a lot of drama and speculation on the old overgrow about orgkid having these cuts, people were saying the og was a s1 back then and all kinds of other accusations were flying around that ghost may have been sold a s1 or that orgnkid may have been. I don’t have e verified josh d og but I have orgnkids ghost og and the 92 and they are worlds apart. I’d love to grow a verified triangle from Origins or the cornbread crew and a verified josh d but I don’t see that happening and I’m not into chasing strains anymore lol There are so many fakes and s1s of both you could spend a lifetime growing different but not it cuts or even have it and not ever know for sure unless you can get those in the know to verify in person.
The old sites are gone and the info on them then was questionable already , unless you were in there circles or are willing to accept what they say as truth it is next to impossible to sort all of this out with no doubts or questions left. It was a long time ago maybe some people don’t remember every little detail clearly and never expected so many people to be this driven to know the answers.
Maybe one day a dude name shawn steps up and adds another twist to the story but I doubt it :laughing:

11 Likes

I agree with your reasoning
In 2005 I had to quit growing at home and relied on a good friend who always sought out the best weed he could find. He regularly had Bubba and it was just called bubba. It had all the coffee/mocha/chocolate terps but not the OG gas. It was really good mouth coating potent weed though.
Then there was what he called the Killz or BubbaD. This flower was a bit stronger, had all the the same flavors as the above mentioned Bubba but it also had what I would describe as OG gas on top.
I’m in Canada so who knows what clones those were but there was no Bubba anything in the Vancouver lowermainland circles prior to 2000 and maybe even before 2003 except maybe in isolated gardens with california clone connections.

I need this Matt Berger cut to see how it compares to the P98 S1 I have here which doesn’t have any OG to it in my opinion. Structure is all wrong, flower node spacing is all wrong, flavors are coffee, mocha, chocolate, with a hint of earthy berry to the nose.
I would like to experience the bubba kush with the og terps added on hehehe

7 Likes

This bubba thread made me sign up for an OG account. I didn’t realize overgrow was still a site.

I bought a couple packs of “pre ‘98” bubba this year in hopes of getting that delicious coffee, chocolatey kush flavor. One from Katsu and the other from Cali Connect. After reading this thread start to finish to see if the Cali connect seeds are legit, I remain just as curious. I’ll just have to grow them out.

I appreciate the bubba stories and debates but especially the photos. I love that dense, waxy fat leaf and flower, indica look. Regardless to how close they are to the original, I just want that kush flavor and heavy effect.

18 Likes

Welcome @Jimbo802 !

5 Likes

Thank you! Happy to see OG still around

4 Likes

An interesting 2007 thread from a user who went by da GhOsT or a couple other handles, growing in Hawaii and featuring Bubba and 808 OG, nice photos

2 Likes

Id like to see someone self the NL2 and then also do an NL2 x TK/92og

The best Bubba(kush) has the NL2 calyxes - flat top on the bud and the calyxes all circle around and point inward towards the center of the bud, like a crown.
The Green/Katsu kush foxtails and to me is less desirable, though breeders seem to have better luck breeding with the Green/Katsu.

DreddieEddie from Hightimes is from SoCal and moved to Adam and worked under Soma. He is also the source of Bubba and OG that DNA have when he sent them lightly seeded bags of each of those.
He told me Bubba is a barely-worked Afghan, kind of like how PTK is a barely worked Paki.
His Bubbas were the best Ive ever had.
He also made a CBD line out the OG line and it still maintains that freshly-popped can of tennis balls that to me is the only smell I associate with OG.

The Berger cut is similar if not the pre98 in that it has that tiara of inward-pointing swallow-tail calyxes of the Hindu Kush (NL2). The Swerve / Socal Kush also has this.
Its all just work done with the Hindu Kush, likely from the same southern Oregon crew that nDN’s son got the HK from which went on to make NL2 in Washington state and then made famous by Neville.

Fun side note, GSC family shows Hindu Kush in there, and Bubba Kush disappeared from the market as GSC appeared. Humboldt guys told me the BK stopped selling well in SoCal because of assumed racism. Red’n’White told me GSC was made by Skunk x Hindu crossed with either PCK or chemdog male. Either way, GSC was made in Laytonville/Willits and Burner merely got seeded bags and kept popping more of those bag seeds and making up stories about he and Jigga bred them. Umpteen yr old strain and the same BS stories as Chem/Bubba/OG/NL5/Skunk/Capt.Cook’s hemp for ship rigging.

4 Likes

Anyone have Shamus’ cuts?

The Suge PK is more like Bubba than many Bubba’s Ive been seeing since the Phylos/AdamDunn/RealOGStory thing came about

5 Likes

I’m aware of the Bubba x Kush story, and yes that story has been around a while (although i had the pre-98 cut for quite a few years before i heard that story ) - i don’t get too involved in whether or not it is true because we can never know for sure.

but, just saying, i have often referred to the pre98 Bubba Kush as ‘the bubba’ or ‘bubba’ over the years… i’m sure others must have too.

My pre-98 cut has no ‘gas’ that i could describe. More Coffee/mocha/earthy and a tiny hint of berry or something in the background.
VG

8 Likes

What does this “OG” mean in your context?

I’m no expert in Epigenetics. Of course crossing the bubba (kush) with other plants will result in a different terpene profile, and i have made quite a few bubba crosses… but not had any ‘gas’ funk on them unless it has come from the other side of the cross (like Chem D).
Selfing might also have the same effect, but again not really had any gas from S1s either… neither do you see the kind of segregation that you would expect if you were reversing an F1 hybrid or even an F2. Bubba behaves as though it is fairly inbred… or my pre-98 cut does at at least.

If i’ve misunderstood what you are asking then please explain a bit better.
VG

2 Likes

I would imagine most have. It’s easy to do. Also, if the story holds true, no one really got any pure bubba plants, unless they found seeds in the bag, so how would they even know there is a distinction to begin with? 🤷

4 Likes

The bubba we held for 10+ years we just called bubba too as did everyone. It was just bubba Kush forever, but I’m pretty sure it was the pre-98 I’ll know soon. The name game is what starts a lot of the confusion I think and started with guys trying to cash in on cut names.

6 Likes

Kinda weird you would clip those three words out of my original comment. Makes it seem like I said something I didn’t.

3 Likes