Bubba Kush cuts …

This is what Charlie Garcia / Kaiku said about his Peyote Purple line in 2011 (from the IC archive)
“Delicious and spectacular hybrid originated in US of stimulant and uplighting indica effect. It is harvested in 8-9 weeks. Sweet aromas, incence, earth with touches of mango, metalic and shampoo. Is a fantastic high quality resin producer. Its been developed several generations from an isolated purple pheno segregated from Bubba Kush. Due giving a few mails in its offspring, line is offered as regular seeds, 10 seeds per pack but results tell about a very extremelly high average of females”

It seems clear that it is a feminized line that throws the odd ‘male’. He mentions nothing about a male being found in S1s and if you are only getting 5% females then it can’t be a truly regular m/f line.
VG

7 Likes

The “males” are extremely hermaphroditic females displaying as males hence the high # of advertised females per pack.

7 Likes

Yes i would have thought so… strongly intersex female expressing as male.

4 Likes

yes, some people aren’t really ready for it lol… but it makes a lot of sense for SE Asian lines.
for anyone interested check out these posts by GMT over at IC… he does a really good explanation of it… (FWIW i don’t think LT is x - autosome )

6 Likes

Verdant green is still around? Thats awesome to see.

Im growing out some old Sour Bubble so I wanna check this thread out sometime soon. Hopefully yall got lots of pictures :nerd_face:.

5 Likes

I just put a bunch of bubbas into flower. They will be coming up soon.

2 Likes

Id greatly appreciate that. What cut? Or seeds?

2 Likes

I need to take cuts on 22 Sour Bubble… At 6 weeks I had a grand total of 1 side branch :joy:

Should have topped them sooner but I wanted to see their natural structure. Theyre finally starting to bush out for me thank god.

1 Like

I know you are also a long time ic member so I have to ask your thoughts on the Chunkypig’s OGKB bagseeds (ogkushbush grown, dispensary sourced). In those flowers he found 4 or 5 seeds. One went on to win the IC420 cup Best Indica and Best in Show. That is the OGKB 2.0 clone. The important thing though is that one of those seeds was a male and he was a killer male by all accounts. I see him in all the crosses he was used in with very dominant and very positive traits. I have worked his progeny extensively now and there is zero intersex in the fgens that he sired and is a grandparent to. How do we explain a male like that in a controlled grow room where no males were present? They are believed to be self pollinated by a random nut in a bud which would make them S1 seed. However I am not seeing intersex and I have been working the OGKB 2.0 and Cookie Boi (the male) line and crosses since they first dropped. I also hold the 2.0 clone and she is rock solid indoors and out with zero intersex expression. I don’t spend too much time thinking about it these days but it is a conundrum of biological confusion as to how that Cookie Boi male came to be and why is he so dominant and so much like his sister for many key traits.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link!

When I did my skunk seed run there was a single male plant out of 140, gmt clarified that easily.
The second mystery is sure there were some intersex plants but most showed as balls at the seventh node.

Why the seventh node ? Seems oddly specific lol
I suspect it has something to do with nutrition possibly leading to a methionine deficiency… who tf knows hah

7 Likes

Seeds Pre 98 from @Bobgrows

4 Likes

Sexual maturity?

1 Like

That was an interesting read, but it’s not my experience of SE Asian Sativa, all the ones I grow produce full males and females with about 5% hermaphrodites, I wonder if it’s driven by the grow environment?

3 Likes

I’m no expert on it… but i would imagine that during 50+ years of human XY intervention that many of the lines would have a Y introduced… which initially would halve the number of ‘sex det 1’ genes in the first generation which would then behave itself… but successive generations would be less reliably exclusive m/f if the sex det 1 genes started concentrating in certain plants again

and obviously the ‘males’ you see in those lines may be just females with a high enough number of sex det 1 to express as male… which may then cause a bigger intersex problem in subsequent generations.
so yes complicated and pretty messy, but when so many lines, especially narrow leaf ones, you get significantly more females than males (or ‘males’) then i think it is a strong possibility that there is some of this x to autosome at play… probably with some Y thrown in as well.
VG

6 Likes

I believe that reversing a diploid organism that has an XXY sex chromosome complement can result in producing male progeny (XY), and those would be true males with no hermaphroditic tendencies.

4 Likes

ya I wish I was more educated on the science of breeding. I learn by doing though so try as I might, books don’t help me for much. I know plants though.
It’s assumed that the OGkushBush grown OGKB , self pollinated and made those 4 or 5 seeds deep in those nugs chunkypigs bought after confirming with Ogkushbush the dispensaries he had just dropped packs off to. So assuming self pollination , how would that male seed have been created. I thought about the potential introduction of otheer pollen accidentally from someones clothes or whatever. This would mean “F2” gens would show all kinds of variations from that male. The opposite is true… the proginy are trending towards the sister… OGKB 2.0 for multiple traits that seem homogenous across multiple seed pops right into F4 now using more than one female and more than one male in the Fgens to try and coax out diversity and recessives. Intersex has not been observed by me or others in the pure line or the BX 2, 3 or 4 or the f2,f3,f4 , behaving much like an IBL like say deep chunk for example.
I crossed a very nice mocha, berry super smooth smoking P98 Bubba Kush S1 from @VerdantGreen 's seeds with OGKB 2.0 reversed pollen. Very small batch of beans to hunt thru. I am hoping for hybrid vigor but we will see.

11 Likes

Whos a got a Katsu?

My buddy wants to trade for Sour Dubb.

And these 2 are no brainer additions for my Sour Bubble project.

7 Likes

Pre-98 Kush x TK

11 Likes

Oh man! Is this from CSI?

Was just thinking about peyote purple, lol

1 Like

No, It’s from a dispo in socal i trust that carries real deal breeder cuts.

I reset myself since then and starting over sadly no cuts and no one seemed interested here in preserving shit or shy (we’re very reserved in vegas).
I should add this is before i learned about cuts surviving 5 days in mail so if i ever do that again and get overwhelmed ill start sending shit out.

2 Likes