Can you Clone a Mature Branch?

I agree with everyone above. Its much easier to revegg. But…

Layering
Layering is a process in which roots develop on a stem while it remains attached
to, and nutritionally sup ported by the parent plant. The stem is then detached
and the meristematic tip becomes a new individual, growing on its own roots,
termed a layer. Layering differs from cutting because rooting occurs while the
shoot is still attached to the parent. Rooting is initiated in layering by various
stem treatments which interrupt the downward flow of photosynthates (products
of photosynthesis) from the shoot tip. This causes the accumulation of auxins,
carbohydrates and other growth factors. Rooting occurs in this treated area even
though the layer remains attached to the parent. Water and mineral nutrients are
supplied by the parent plant because only the phloem has been interrupted; the
xylem tissues connecting the shoot to the parental roots remain intact (see illus.
1, page 29). In this manner, the propagator can overcome the problem of
keeping a severed cutting alive while it roots, thus greatly in creasing the
chances of success. Old woody reproductive stems that, as cuttings, would dry
up and die, may be rooted by layering. Layering can be very time-consuming and
is less practical for mass cloning of parental stock than removing and rooting
dozens of cuttings. Layering, however, does give the small-scale propagator a
high-success alternative which also requires less equipment than cuttings.
Techniques of Layering
Almost all layering techniques rely on the principle of etiolation. Both soil layering
and air layering involve depriving the rooting portion of the stem of light,
promoting rooting. Root-promoting substances and fungicides prove beneficial,
and they are usually applied as a spray or powder. Root formation on layers
depends on constant moisture, good air circulation and moderate temperatures
at the site of rooting

You’re better off revegging the whole plant

UPDATE:

As mentioned above, the branches I tried to re-root from harvested plants didn’t make it, but I attempted a second experiment:

I took clones from several young plants, and four of the clones failed to survive. By then, the original plants had grown up enough to begin flowering.

I knew it was a long shot, but snipped a small lower branch off each of the four and babied them for several weeks until three of the four finally made new roots and now have grown into beautiful plants… they are strangely shaped, but seem healthy and I think they will be just fine.

As the old flowers decayed, a new branch (or two) sprouted from the site of the dead flower… so the new plants are much bushier than my other clones.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@Gizmo

This is amazing!! I love the time lapse parts that you included… that helps keep the continuity intact! Also, I understand a lot more now about cloning a flowering stem… you do it on purpose… I did it accidentally but I learned about better things I could have done and better ways to do them from watching this!

One thing I noticed was that you only cloned one flower, but because I didn’t know any better, the branches I cloned had four or five flowers on them… now my new plants are growing like crazy with new branches growing out of each old flower. Weird, right?

I always did have a green thumb… my partner thinks it’s great cuz he doesn’t have an affinity for growing but loves to smoke… I don’t smoke but love to grow things and my OCD makes me good at cleaning buds. Perfect match or what? LoL.

2 Likes

You did a great job. I dig how you’re learning.

2 Likes

@leetdood
This person @Gizmo seems to have a lot of good information on YouTube. I will be doing a search on the words “Weed in a Pot” to view everything he has posted. Seems like he has a lot of good info and is sharing it for FREE… :grin:

Yes, Please. I will take as much as I can get. LoL.

2 Likes