Canada law - more than 4 plants

Just watch how much you grow outside imho but also a plant in the government eyes is a sprouted seed.

1 Like

Thanks for that link, I am thrilled to be wrong.

Bakerstreet sounds awesome, and meets the fully legit source question.

5 Likes

Buy one pack as ā€œproofā€ that your plants are legit (keep packaging and receipt), and when they ask why you have so many seeds, just claim one of your plants hermied and produced all the seeds in your possession.

This only works if you donā€™t have breeders packs of ā€œillicitā€ seeds in jars in your fridge. :grinning:

The solution to that is to put all seeds in generic containers and number them, then keep a spreadsheet of what numbers correspond to which strains on your PC (on an encrypted drive, if you want to go that far). Cops ask what the numbers on the containers mean and you claim you graded them for seed quality (colour, size, etc.)

Only genetic testing could ever prove they are illicit seeds, and theyā€™d never go that far for some guy growing 4 plants at home.

By the way 1 seed = 1 gram of dried flower under these new laws

For example, in BC the home possession limit is 1000 grams. If I have 500 seeds, that means I can only have 500 grams of dried flower.

So, be careful with seed production folks. An 8 foot tall outdoor plant that goes to seed could easily put you in jail with 10s of thousands of seeds equaling that many grams of weed, in the eyes of the law.

8 Likes

Ya for the record i was being sarcastic there :joy:

Iā€™m sure the strain is just dandy, but fuck those people they donā€™t get a dime of my money :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Cheap price to pay to be able to say ā€œyes, I purchased my seeds at the BC Cannabis Store - here is the packaging and receiptā€ if ever asked. Note: Iā€™m not saying I would ever grow the seeds, but the one receipt and package would certainly be worth a one-time purchase. In fact, I am going to do that right now.

5 Likes

Done. I ordered the Argyle strain, which is Nordle - which Iā€™ve always wanted to try, actually.

It came to $67 CAD for 4 feminized seeds, but that packaging and receipt could be worth a hell of a lot more to me than $67 some day.

3 Likes

If in some obscure twist of fate the police raided me and my 4 legal plants and wanted to charge me for illegal seeds I would happily pay for a lawyer to drag that case out. Its a super ambiguous law and will almost certainly be overturned once challenged in court. I doubt thereā€™s a judge in the country who would give someone jail time for possessing seeds.

Also, the burden of proof is too high for the copsā€¦go ahead and DNA test my plants and those seeds to prove they didnā€™t come from legal stock, not to mention the grey area of seeds produced at home from 4 legal plants with legal stock. What about a bagseed from an LP?

Iā€™ll be shocked if we ever see this law used in any normal context. It might be used to stack charges on someone they really want to nailā€¦

5 Likes

My thinking exactly, order is in, Bakerstreet x4 is on the way.

Little over $16 each, one less legal hassle to lose sleep over.

4 Likes

For the record Iā€™m not trying to be argumentative, I agree that having a ā€˜legalā€™ pack and proof of purchase is a prudent decision. Iā€™m mostly just cheap and donā€™t want to give money to the shitty legal weed companies lol

2 Likes

While I agree with you for the most part, I would really rather avoid the cost and bullshit of a court battle to defend my 4 plants.

Scenario: Nosy neighbour who doesnā€™t like the new laws calls the cops about my outdoor plants this summer. Cops show up because, well, they are fucking cops. I think it is highly likely that one of the questions theyā€™ve been trained to ask is, ā€œwhere did you buy the seeds?ā€

Iā€™d rather have the answer that makes them fuck off, than one that makes them ask more questions - or worse.

6 Likes

Let me get back to you in about 7 months on thatā€¦ :wink:

I am confident this variety of Kush will match up to some of my other favoritesā€¦ OG, Killer, Purple etc.

2 Likes

Ya i totally get that, but personally I doubt theyā€™ll ever ask about genetic sources.

In fact a friend had the cops in his yard last year (just after legalization) due to a neighbour dispute. The neighbour kept telling them he was growing weed and they just said ā€˜thats legal nowā€™ā€¦he said they just glanced at his plants and didnā€™t give a shit at all.

Keep in mind that police are going to have to tread very carefully with these new laws. Theyā€™ve lost alot of ā€˜probable causeā€™ scenarios that they used to use to get access to peopleā€™s homes/property. If they cross a line with one person a judge can potentially toss the whole relevant law outā€¦i think they know that and have no interest in using the nuances of the new laws against small home growers

5 Likes

My local grow off shop in Dartmouth NS was busted for selling seeds, no fines, no arrests, just confiscated the seeds and informed there credit card companies, the money they were getting was from illegal seed sales.

They have no debit or credit facility now just cash transactions.

2 Likes

I can envision a scene where the RCMP, responding to some totally unrelated complaint, will notice my Cannabis garden. Given that I will be grooming them into truly awe inspiring sizes, they just might ask some question.

4 root systemsā€¦ check
Legit sourceā€¦ check

Have a nice day!

5 Likes

Theyā€™ll probably be interested in growing tips!

5 Likes

While I am usually an optimist, I prefer to remain pessimistic/skeptical when it comes to cops.

9 Likes

https://www.theglobeandmail./cannabis/article-lack-of-legal-cannabis-seeds-fuels-spike-in-black-market-sales/

I think proof of purchase is 100% the way to protect yourself. They will have the sales records as well.

The question is, will this actually be enforced if you only have 4 backyard plants?

You could just say a friend gave them too meā€¦ Then you better have that friends documentation. In which case they could run a DNA test to prove it is non existent in the inventory of legal, non-medicinal vendors. Which actually is quite limited. All of which wouldnā€™t be worth it for a non-criminal offence that is ticketable undet 5000 dollars right? Well, if it comes down to just confiscating everyoneā€™s plants until they can provide documentation then itā€™s a nobrainer cash grab for the police.

I could see situations arising where plants are located and confiscated and ticked unless you can provide documented proof of legal purchase! What are our options for getting that sort of documentation?

Now, if the neighbours complained about the smell then that might be good enough reason to get the cops on site and search your home for more plants and then potentially ask for proof of purchase ectā€¦ Confiscate and ticket until proof of purchase is provided.

And now all the legal vendors are sold out so we canā€™t even buy some if we want to!

I recommend developing strong relationships with all your neighbours and then bribing them with sharing the weed or guilting them into not ratting you out somehow. Then at least the cops shouldnā€™t show up.

4 Likes

ā€œWhere did you get the seedsā€ - answer: silence. If LEO is up in your face the last thing you want to do is talk to them or answer questions.

8 Likes

I think someone like myself is exempt. Acmpr holder. I am also under the belief that I can gift people their 4 plants with my genetics. Havent officially done this but this is my current understanding. Not sure of the validity of it. Just what I have ā€œheardā€.

6 Likes

Please for the love of god dont buy LP seeds!
Not sure if yet but theyre putting gentic markers in the seeds and trying to corner the market and water down the genetic pool.
Seriously, dont support LPs. Dont be sheep

12 Likes