Cannabis Cocktails, sans Alcohol

I look into that… I can tolerate dairy in small amounts, but it’s not ideal. I could theoretically try nut milks with it maybe? Eh, I don’t know, off to Google it for a while, thanks man…

No I won’t Google it I guess, damn, did you just make this up? Lol, I tried a few searches pertaining to “Middle Eastern”, “cannabis”, “drink”, and “milk”. Only “cannabis milk” came up with anything related. And even then they’re just using warm milk to float the oil I’m suspecting, since it’s literally milk and bud and you use it warm.

1 Like

Another thing you could try is double boiler Carmel’s melt and add your oil pour on a piece of parchment paper cool and cut into pieces. , I just made coconut balls using 1 oz of decarbed bud in 2 cups of coconut oil for 2 hrs in the magic butter machine .
I then used 2 cups of coconut in 100 mil of the oil added a 1/4 can of condensed milk a splash of vanilla rolled into table spoon sized balls cooled in freezer then rolled in chocolate with a tablespoon of oil added to the chocolate chips .

Could of been stronger I think others said they were perfect .

2 Likes

Has anyone tried chia seed gel or basil seed gel? It’s bizarre how they have surfactant properties.

Once I get home I’ll dig out a study that went into agonizing detail about exactly why it does this too. From what I can remember it’s the fiber and carbs that make up the gel(mucilage they called it) that in chia are somewhat basic, but still on par with xanthan gum. The basil gel was apparently a complex structure and had the capability to emulsify oil, water, vinegar, and ethanol together through a freeze thaw.

I can see how if at the right ratios a diluted gel would help keep a infused water essentially stable. Plus it’s natural lol

2 Likes

I did mean to try that… there was some difficulty I had last time, I can’t remember now.

I wonder what kind of testing could be done to sort of quantify the different emulsifiers, or to quantify their… suspension? I’m not even sure. I really do need to read up on spectrometry… I think that’s the answer. Doing it affordable I don’t know, but research is free.

1 Like

The infused sugar works pretty well in a cold drink IME. I assume the citric acid would work well too, if you wanted a sour tangy drink. Imagine it would complement a fruit smoothie pretty well.

2 Likes

Your experience, or estimation?

Either way… signs point to try it. Next round will be… hmm. Maybe a few tests, with various solid carriers; if anyone cares to throw out anymore suggestions I’ll try to test them, but I’m not sure I can accommodate more than 2 or 3. Sugar, citric acid, maybe baking soda? I’m not entirely sure what is the desired property is… Note to self, learn more organic chemistry.

2 Likes

I’ve used the sugar in cold tea. It works pretty well, works better in warm coffee with cream.

The citric acid extraction is best with hash, so you may not be able to test that one.

3 Likes

Give me a month or two, I’m working on the hash!

Sugar and citric acid will be tested next chance I get, very easy to add either to a drink, although I do worry about concentration- in my experience it’s quite potent. Will have to do some research on sugar infusions and see what kind of minimum materiel… blah blah, if it works I’ll post about it. Otherwise another for the fuck it bucket.

2 Likes

I think bhang is what they were thinking of, its indian.

3 Likes

That may work, indeed. Excellent.

Here is a recipe I came across that I will attempt at some point.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups water
  • Up to 1/2 ounce of fresh cannabis leaves and flowers
  • 3 cups warm milk
  • 1/4 tsp garam masala
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground fennel
  • 1/2 tsp ground anise
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp rosewater
  • 1/2 cup honey or sugar
  • Rose petals, mint leaves, chopped almonds or pistachios to garnish

Directions:

• Heat water to a rapid boil, then remove from heat and add the cannabis plant material. Steep for about seven minutes.
  • Strain cannabis leaves and flower from water using a muslin cloth. Squeeze the plant matter until all liquid has been removed. Collect the water and set it aside.
  • Put the leaves and flowers into a mortar and pestle with 2 teaspoons of warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the leaves and milk together, then squeeze the flowers to extract the milk. Continue this process until you have used about ½ cup of milk. Save the extracted milk.
  • Add chopped almonds, pistachios, rose petals, mint leaves or any other garnishes to your mortar and pestle, along with more warm milk. Grind until a fine paste is formed. Collect the extract and discard any additional nut fibers or residue.
  • Combine all the liquids together, and add garam masala, ginger, fennel, anise, cardamom, and rosewater. Add honey (or sugar) and the remaining warm milk.
  • Mix well, chill, serve, and enjoy.
3 Likes

I’ve been a chef for almost 20 years and a stoner even longer. In my professional opinion, thats going to taste like an herby chai tea that gets you stoned.

6 Likes

This is the starter link. Enjoy the rabbit hole

2 Likes

@OniTenshu I gave it a try just this afternoon… first results not good. Pretty sure I botched it.

Chia seeds mixed into hot water tap and my oil tincture, gave them an hour. End results are complete separation of the oil and water, and gooey watery mass around each seed of maybe 1/16-1/8”. That I added to a plastic cup with some Gatorade, which made the separation worse and solidified the oil.

Now… I can’t say as to what oil- be it coconut, cannabis, or both. Will not be sampling either, couldn’t bring myself to. It’s… not pleasant looking and I hold little hope it retained any medicine. It’s a small dose though, it’s possible the coconut oil was separated into the water but cannabinoids remained in the chia gel.

I’m not sure I would try this again… would need to reconsider my entire preparation me this.

1 Like

Did you mix it with the water only at first?

That was mentioned in the link I sent that when mixed with water only at first it fully gelled, but with a mix of oils and such it changes the chemistry a bit and only partial gelling occurs.

If you do try it again keep in mind you want to make the gel, freeze it, then separate the seeds from the gel using a mesh strainer. The seeds hold onto the gel for dear life.

After making the gel and it hydrates fully I then mix the Jell-O like gel with more water to make the surfactant mix ready to mix in as needed.

Keep in mind it’s not like a regular infusion and I’ve had no absorption issues without adding excessive oil normally needed.

To make the gel with chia seeds you need to use 20% of the water volume of the container you’re making it in.

To use basil seeds you only need to use up 6% of the water volume of the container.

After creating the gel the dilution is needed to mix it with others.

In some experiments I’ve done mixing it with everything all at once, but I needed a blender or immersion blender to force the emulsion.

Without using weed try the experiment again. As with everything and this goes for all of you. Practice on your edibles without the weed and you’ll save yourself a lot of money and effort if you’re the stubborn type to still eat it like myself.

1 Like

No doubt man, like I said, was pretty sure I botched it. I see the issue(s) I think now, fortunately I’m working 1/2 tsp of oil each time so not much is lost if it goes South.

Could you recommend proportions for water to chia, to oil? I think I had far more than I needed. I for sure will let them take on just water- and then add oil to warm water/seeds, stir. Would they survive a warm up in the microwave? Then set it aside to absorb the oil, I suppose? How long approx.? Then freeze, and then mechanically separate the seeds? Or did I reverse adding the oil and when to freeze?

1 Like

I’ve done a couple variations on this, but I’ve mixed oil in after making the gel. For chia it can take a couple to 5 hours to fully absorb the entire amount and process it enzymatically to the full gel.

As for ratios I rarely use weight measuring for seed gels. Thats likely a part of the issue.

To make it start with a pint of gel.

94.6ml chia seed to 378.6ml water to make the pint. After it’s finished gelling freeze it solid. Separate seeds from gel using a mesh strainer while still frozen.

That is your now completed gel for later use.

To use it I find i prefer to use 50/50 gel to water.

I’ve had some difficulty trying to get the gel to work when mixing up with oil before the dilution.

One way I managed to get a one pot style to work was using boiling water, letting it sit for 3 hours, then mixing in about a third of the gel volume of oil before adding the water to dilute it.

In smaller amounts than a third volume I’ve found it doesn’t seem to have any difficulties.

You do have to stir though. If separating does happen I usually just use a fork or whisk. It appears to be about egg level for holding abilities in practice honestly.

2 Likes

Seeds soaking as we speak.

I think the primary issue is as was trying to make a pudding and mixing that I to water. Like you say, it’s more of extracting the gel to use as a surfactant. Making your recipe verbatim, will add 50/50 to gatorade again, haven’t decided on weither I’ll use just coconut oil as a stand in, or if I’ll use my oil tincture. Depends how they look after straining.

1 Like

It’s always a good idea to make a tester first. You can always mix that tester in with the final product if you planned on drinking it in one go. Chia gel provides a nice boost of energy similar to caffeine. Yet its caffeine free.

You can make a salad dressing experiment as well. It’s how Ianded on the ⅓ oil, ⅓ gel, and ⅓ vinegar ratio

1 Like

Yeah… I’m completely dismissing any results from the first go. The instruction I used were either bad outright or just not for this application. I was willing at the time to miss a dose, I have a few extra a week, so since im working in single serving batches I "test“ for a dose I don’t mind missing… which is only a few times a week honestly. But yeah, no reason to waste any medicine, I just get impatient.

Seeds have taken on all the water and into the freezer, I’ll check them in a few hours, curious as what speed it’ll freeze compared to water.

1 Like

I’ll make sure I get a experiment down and report back once I get one figured out for this specific application.

1 Like