Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

Yes it’s supposed to be safe if removed properly like butane. It’s a refrigerant that they are using to make high terpene extracts.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/deas-historic-move-reschedule-cannabis-is-no-panacea-2024-05-14/

Schedule III drugs may only be dispensed by prescription which requires the drug to be approved by the FDA. :thinking:

Are you sure you folks want Sch. 3 for cannabis.
Are you sure it is a step in the right direction?
Are you really sure?

I would think again if I were you…

4 Likes

Yep, it’s a step in the right direction, it’s not perfect nor the end all be all. There are positives and negatives of any situation, but I think this is overall a positive. From the article you posted:

The first, and most important, change would be from the criminal justice perspective. Although cannabis is already treated differently, opens new tab from other Schedule I drugs for the purpose of penalties, its movement to Schedule III is likely to result in calls to further ratchet down the penalties, as well as re-examine the sentences of those individuals already incarcerated. If nothing else happens, this is a worthy result that is too often overlooked.

In addition, movement to Schedule III would take cannabis out of the exclusion of Internal Revenue Code Section 280E, which only precludes tax deductions for trafficking in Schedule I and Schedule II (but not Schedule III) substances. This would be welcome relief to participants in both medical and recreational cannabis programs, which carry a tax burden no other business does.

1 Like

I guess we have to disagree here…
But you never addressed my concerns here. :wink:

What if cannabis is available by prescription only?
Are ya good with that?
Are ya good with the increased penalties that come with that?

The penalties for selling controlled substances are:

• Schedule III drugs. Up to five years in prison. Fine of up to $15,000.

[

Possession of Schedule III, IV, V Drugs

DeBruin Law, PLLC
https://www.lansingattorney.com › drug-crimes › posse…
](https://www.lansingattorney.com/practice-areas/criminal-defense-overview/drug-crimes/possession-of-schedule-schedule-iii-iv-v-drugs/)

A felony conviction and up to two years in prison and a fine of up to $2,000 for substances classified as schedule III

3 Likes

And a schedule 1 drug is punishable by up to 15 years in jail and a $250,000 fine. So yes, I’d say a lesser penalty is a step in the correct direction.

Weed is already only available with a prescription where I live, and it’s stopping 0 people from using it.

2 Likes

So folks have to get their weed prescribed by a doctor and the script is filled by a licenced phamacist?

I don’t think we are talking about the same thing here.

Yes in medical states that’s how it’s done. I get a prescription from a doctor and fill it at the dispensary. They usually have a pharmacist and a doctor working there to make it official

2 Likes

That may not be how it will be done if rescheduled to 3.
I would ask…
What other sch. 3 drugs can you get at a dispensary?
Do they sell ketamine, anabolic steroids, testosterone, codeine.
I wonder why they don’t?

They get a prescription from a licensed doctor and go to 1 of the very few medical dispensaries, but you know that.

1 Like

What other schedule 1 drugs can you get at a dispensary?

1 Like

The dispensary is acting like a cannabis pharmacy. It’s under the same rules. The only difference is they separate it from the other prescriptions sold at a regular pharmacy. Maybe someday it will be sold at CVS?

3 Likes

My point is a dispensary is not the place you will be getting pharmaceutical drugs from.
Is cannabis approved by the FDA?
No.
Why is that a problem?

did you see this part…
requires the drug to be approved by the FDA.

1 Like

You don’t think the FDA will approve it ?

You seem to be saying that a dispensary is a federally approved and licenced pharmacy.
I do not think that is the case.

1 Like

And schedule 1 drugs have no medical benefit and can’t be perscribed to the general population, and yet here we are. It’s a work in progress and we do not live in a perfect world. At the end of the day, it’s still federally illegal, schedule 1 or 3. That’s what needs to change imo, but we are working towards that via incremental changes.

3 Likes

I do not think the FDA will ever appove any type of medicine you smoke.
How do you think the AMA feels about a smokeable medicine?

The FDA will approve medicine like Epidiolex, sativex.
I do not think they will approve Bubba Kush.

Do you really think the FDA will appove a smokeable Bubba Kush type medicine?

1 Like

Absolutely not they won’t. But there are already prescriptions being written for it by doctors, not the burnout at the grow shop giving bad info, so exceptions are being made.

So no smokable forms will be approved.
Will they allow the sale of non approved smokable cannabis?

Does the FDA allow non-approve smokable opium?
Do you think they will make an exception for that too?

Doctors are currently writing prescriptions for it, are they having their licenses revoked for this? I genuinely do not know.

I guess my point is, they are already treating weed differently than other schedule 1 drugs, why do we think all of a sudden it will be treated just like all the other schedule 3 drugs? Should this be the final step, I sure as hell hope not, but lowering punishment, allowing research, admitting it’s not as harmful as heroine etc etc etc are all incremental steps in the right direction. It’s not perfect but we don’t live in a perfect world either, that’s why we have waivers and exceptions to rules all over the place.

The legal system in the US enables corruption, because we’re innocent until proven guilty. I don’t think anyone is arguing that much; I’m not saying it to argue to change it, just stating what I see as a fact.

Weed was 100% illegal, and thus not part of the legal system at all - it was all illegal, and thus no one cared if it was tainted, you were going to jail anyway. No one actually investigated it much, probably. Now it’s part of the system, and being part of the system, it’s being run corruptly.

These are two separate issues here, and I think you’re conflating them. I’d love to see complete decriminalization as much as you would, but it’s just not realistic. Given that our society functions the way it does, this is the best we’re going to get right now. Tearing down all of society and rebuilding it so that everything, including the legal cannabis market functions better and never enables corruption, while also preserving the innocent until proven guilty standard is an admirable goal, but probably also not realistic, and probably falls into the realm of inflammatory politics that we like to avoid. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes