Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

This thread is always doom and gloom.

I don’t think anyone here is going to argue that cannabis being a scheduled drug is a good thing. I fail to see how moving to schedule 3 is a step in the wrong direction. This opens up lots of opportunities for medical research. If the science shows it to be as wonderful a drug as so many say, the legality issue could likely slide further. I don’t support the pharma industry in general, but I also don’t waste my energy thinking of them as the all powerful Boogeyman.

More and more states legalize and decriminalize every year. I think things are heading in the right direction, albeit very slowly. I’m happy we have state sanctioned home growing here and hope to see it spread. With all the progress at the state level (imperfect as it may be) I’m optimistic that we are heading towards a federal tipping point. This plant survived for a long time as an illegal substance. I think we are coming out of the darkness now.

3 Likes

It’s not stepping its tip toeing. By definition alcohol and nicotine should be schedule 3. However it’s not. I say we need laws that make sense and reschedule altogether, but where is the tax income in that. Look at Minnesota where some farmer who wanted to sell melons 120 years ago could lead to Minnesota farmers be allowed to sell weed without a license (in their state constitution). Politicians and weed just don’t mix. Deschedule and let those who have an interest and understand the culture of cannabis live in peace.

Smib

3 Likes

I don’t see how rescheduling could possibly make things any worse but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. The big push for it is the billions waiting for the go ahead and they are pushing hard. This opens the door to regular investors not just the venture capitalists you have now. The funny thing is it’s still not guaranteed. All the research and promises of the big payday. Half the time it’s just a big smokescreen to steal money

1 Like

Ok since we are splitting hairs here maybe that is not entirely accurate.
Not specifially the AMA but the medical community and drug companies combined is probably the most powerful group in the world.
Is that better…or am I still an alarmist…LOL
But
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the largest professional association and lobbying group of physicians and medical students.

They do have a hellava lot of power and influence.

I find it funny the government itself is telling you.

And you folks seem to be saying…
“Make all the laws you want, nobody is going to follow those rules.”

I go back to this…

This whole discussion should be moved to schedule 1

6 Likes

That’s not even close to true either, you’re really reaching here.

1 Like

Well we will have to disagree then.
The drug companies alone are the strongest lobbing force shaping this country today.
Some further research may be in order before you dismiss this as untrue.

Pharmaceutical and health product companies poured over $372 million into federal lobbying last year, outspending every other industry.

Top Interest Groups Giving to Members of Congress, 2024 Cycle ; Health Professionals, $35,038,228

“It’s a gateway discussion”

4 Likes

This is why I’m very hopeful that the bill currently in the Senate to simply deschedule cannabis is passed. That will likely meant the BATF will become the BATFC, but that is much better than being scheduled at all.

6 Likes

Just have to remember this was all left over from the Nixonian era

They did an end run around the Constitution to be able to arrest peaceful protests

They could not arrest you for that, but the pot you smoke…It just got super illegal

That is all it ever was…

Made up by the Nixon team

Any dismantling of the 1970 substance abuse act is a good thing!

…greener pastures ahead folks

Grow it , Grow it, Grow it !!!

4 Likes

There’s so much material here, I can’t follow it. I just know the dispo weed sux. I wish i could find a decent home grower like we have in OG. Disclaimer, home grown can be just as dangerous or badly grown as anything. But nothing out of dispo in 8 years has stood out as quality stuff. It provides a mid range high, and horrible taste, 100% of the 100s of products i’ve tried.

As for BB Brown, never heard of him. No big surprise, i never heard of anything(body). He reminds me of R Crumb comics, kinda.
https://www.boxbrown.com/

4 Likes

hey now, you’re getting awfully close to political with that. not that you’re wrong or that you’re calling out either side for it since they both jumped on that one. also let’s not forget how the govt was running drugs from viet nam, central america, afghanistan, etc, etc. hell, our own govt has been one of the biggest drug smugglers ever.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not splitting hairs directly responding to something you said that’s not true, again.
I get that you like to embellish things to scare people into agreeing with your extremist and hardline views, but it’s not really helpful to furthering conversation or cause.

3 Likes

Legalization Nation: New Mexico cannabis faces federal crackdown

https://www.greenstate.com/perspective/legalization-nation-new-mexico-cannabis-faces-federal-crackdown/?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=topic%2Fcannabis

8 Likes

Always appreciate these comics and articles @Calyxander :+1:

A few years ago I read the artists’ Cannabis book. It’s pretty good. I mean, it’s really great for being the only graphic novel at my library with “cannabis” in the title!

3 Likes

I must disagree. I think the most powerful entity on Earth is the Roman Catholic Church.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:I was wondering if they were really gonna do it…Done!

2x6 2x6 2x6 2x6 2x6

/ BREAKING NEWS

President Joe Biden has announced that his administration is officially moving to reschedule marijuana under federal law, applauding the “monumental” action that follows an extensive administrative review that he directed.

The Justice Department will soon post its proposed rule to move cannabis from Schedule I to Schedule III under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in the Federal Register, a senior administration official said on Thursday. There will then be a 60-day public comment period before the rule is potentially finalized.

“This is monumental,” Biden said in a video announcing the rescheduling news. “Today my administration took a major step to reclassify marijuana from a Schedule I to a Schedule III drug. It’s an important move towards reversing longstanding inequities.”

“Today’s announcement builds on the work we’ve already done to pardon a record number of federal offenses for simple possession of marijuana,” he said. “It adds to the action we’ve taken to lift barriers to housing, employment, small business loans, and so more for tens of thousands of Americans.”

4 Likes

Collectively, the 10 largest Catholic systems in the country operate a total of 394 short-term acute care hospitals and more than 76,000 short-term acute hospital beds. These large Catholic systems operate 1,106 (or 15.2 percent ) of the 7,903 hospitals of all types that are operated by health systems nationwide.

That is some pull with the AMA right there.

5 Likes

I’ve got crucifixion insurance anyway

3 Likes