Cannabis Lineage - Indica or Sativa and classification

Following discussion from: Could be this Could be that? :

I’ve split interesting discussion about naming conventions / typology of cannabis.

1 Like

You kids and your new and better definitions. If i don’t use them properly am i banished from the cool club. Ha! Ha!

2 Likes

Lmao its not new. Its just proper terms:) you wont be banned. But ill giggle everytime i see someone call their plants hemp😁

1 Like

When i have a plant that has a foot between internodes, thick stems and huge leaves with tiny buds i assume it regressed and i call it hemp because the qualities are hemp traits. It is not a “drug cultivar.” Even TGA or Bodhi genetics will show regressive traits. Your terminology is new and still being disputed.

From Wikipedia.
Cannabis (/ˈkænəbɪs/) is a genus of flowering plant in the family Cannabaceae. The number of species within the genus is disputed. Three species may be recognized, Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis; C. ruderalis may be included within C. sativa; or all three may be treated as subspecies of a single species, C. sativa.[2][3][4][1] The genus is indigenous to central Asia and the Indian subcontinent.[5]

2 Likes

Wikipedia says a lot of untrue things. Anyone can edit wiki. Its new to us yes. But to the scientists its not. The guy that came up with the word sativa (meaning useful) used to use it for european hemp. Alfalfa is a sativa. Medicago sativa im pretty sure. But i havnt found any plants named indica other then cannabis indica so im not sure if there are other plants named indica out there.

2 Likes

I know what has been accepted and used since i was a teenager. If it changes fine but calling hemp a sativa is not the normal in growing. The scientist can instill change and change what is accepted but it hasn’t happened yet in the population.

2 Likes

Classification in Cannabis has been hotly debated among botanists for decades, but the most current thinking based on Hillig, and concurred by Clarke, places three species and seven sub-species in the genus. All drug marijuana varieties belong to a single species, C. Indica. All other non-drug varieties belong to either C. Sativa - European hemp, or C. Ruderalis - wild hemp.

Where it gets tricky is when the layman’s definitions of “sativa” and “indica” - generally based on leaf type - are used to make observations that this plant is a “sativa” due to its narrow leaves, versus the broad leaves of an “indica”. Clarke notes the existence of both broad leaf hemp varieties in China and the better known narrow leaf drug cannabis of southern India and South and Central America. Both refute the notion that leaf style is a primary characteristic of either species, C. Sativa or C. Indica.

That said, I still use the traditional leaf-type nomenclature in discussing drug cannabis varieties, as it is useful within that context. I also generally subscribe to the Linnaean concept that species classification is primarily defined by interfertility, which would suggest the traditional classification of a single Cannabis species with numerous sub-species.

-b420

10 Likes

Dude you explain things soo beautifully!! I myself still call those narrow leaf drug cultivars sativas and i call hemp hempXD its hard to get away from the popular names of today. Especially when people are like… what the fuck is a narrow leaf drug cultivar😂

1 Like

Sativa typically has 9 or more leaves and grows taller; sativa plants are found growing as land races near the equator and are prone to early flowering. Cannabis indica typically has 5 or less? leaves and is found growing in places father away from the equator. Hybrid plants typically have 7 leaves and have varied/mixed characteristics depending on what the breeder pheno hunts for.Auto flowering are typically found growing in climates that have a short growing season for example Russia and flower within 2-4 works normally no matter the lighting schedule.
P.S. sativas are more finicky than indicas and sativa tend to produce more airy/fluffy nugs instead of dense nugs like indicas do

2 Likes