CannaRoot Tea and Coffee Brew šŸµ

Iā€™d like to share my way of using the roots of the Cannabis plant to make a delicious hot beverage :coffee:

It all starts with the roots.

Cut and gather up a handful or more, wash them off (a brush really helps) and chop them into pieces.

Place them on a baking sheet, turn on the oven to 350F and put them in.

I roasted them for an hour, and after turning the oven off I left them in overnight to make sure the insides were fully dry.

Cooking time can vary, depending on the size of the roots and your preference. I prefer a dark roast, so I put them back in the oven at 400F to really brown them up and bring out some nice flavours. Keep a close eye if you do the same, so they donā€™t burn. This is how dark I like it.

After it cools off, I load it into a grinder.

And grind it up really fine.

Smells like chocolate :drooling_face:

This step is optional, but I happened to have some kief in the grinder that I scraped up and added to the blended roots for some extra medicinal effect :wink:

I mix it up in a bag, then sift it with a fine mesh strainer to remove any chunks that didnā€™t get broken down in the grinder.

For blending with coffee I like to use a 1:4 ratio of ground roots to coffee grounds, but feel free to experiment and find out what works/tastes best for you.

For tea, use a teaspoon per cup, or more if you like your tea stronger. If you donā€™t have a french press, you can use a tea bag.

Hope you like it!! :grinning: Let me know what you think

Cheers!

52 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Oldtimerunderground, both look tasty. What are the roots supposed to provide benefit-wise?

3 Likes

Interesting indeed! I have never thought about doing this! There has to be benefits for sure.

3 Likes

Youā€™re most welcome @Tejas :grin: thank you :pray:

I know there are a ton of benefits in the roots, I literally feel it when I consume them. Gives me a feeling similar to cbd, a sense of calmness and well being. In my experience over the years it has helped with clarity when dealing with brain fog. Really helps with sleep and I feel like it has some anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties too. I have gout really bad in my toe, so hopefully it can help break up the crystals that have been building up in the joint.

18 Likes

A nice way to use almost all of the plant.

4 Likes

I think those are some monster roots!

Thank you so much for sharing :pray:

3 Likes

Anytime Loph!! :facepunch: I remember you saying that you wanted to hear more, hope this was good enough.

I tried to make it as detailed as possible, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask :slightly_smiling_face:

No kidding, I basically rode the plant like a bull rider to loosen it up, then ripped out the trunk and rootball from the earth. As I was doing this, I could see the ground moving several feet away from the base! :exploding_head: It reminded me of the movie tremors :joy:
ezgif.com-optimize (6)

10 Likes

What it felt like

What it really looked like
ezgif.com-optimize (7)

15 Likes

I am most dubious OTUG :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Qtip lol, have a sip, and youā€™ll be a believer :joy:
20211108_005327

One would assume it tastes like shit, seeing as the roots sit in dirt for the entire life of the plant, but the flavour is actually very subtle.

You really donā€™t have to roast them, you can wash the roots really good and let them dry out for a few weeks, then chop and powder it to use the same way. Iā€™ve done it this way before and it seems just as effective. You can also simmer the powder with coconut oil to infuse it for quick and effective dosing or for topical application, which I will definitely try soon.

I mainly roast it for added flavour and body, although Iā€™m not sure how it effects the beneficial chemical compounds.

11 Likes

I scoff, but you know Iā€™m trying this after next chop. If I go down with explosive diarrhea thatā€™s on you OTUG. :dart:

7 Likes

:rofl: out of hearts :heart: but man, that is too funny.

3 Likes

Very interesting man, I produce coffee here, I will do this for blends.

I ask permission to exemplify:

use of the roots, here in Brazil.

The chimarrĆ£o, dried mate herb and taken in a gourd.

12 Likes

Mate con Cannabis!? Thatā€™s incredible.

Somehow Iā€™m certain Abuela would not approve.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Iā€™ll have to try it the next time I make some caipirinhas! :grinning:

What do they put in those bags? Yerba mate and hemp leaf?? Iā€™ll definitely have to make some of that too, it sounds like it would taste delicious. I wonder if I can get it here in Canada :thinking:

Thank you for sharing, itā€™s always welcome in my threads :grin:

4 Likes

Yes guys, they take advantage of the leaves left over from cleaning the budsā€¦
Ilex paraguariensis and Cannabis Sativaā€¦

They are sold in Uruguay, who knows @oldtimerunderground can import.
Or, buy the yerba mate and mix it with your own leavesā€¦

6 Likes

Thank you @Gugumelo :grin: I will get some yerba mate and be making my own blend soon, I have pounds of dry leaf to use too. Weā€™re getting into the winter season up here soon, so I think I will be drinking alot of it :joy:

6 Likes

I have everything but the gourd (or those cool mate straws).

Could you provide any advice on blending, like the mate to mota ratio?

2 Likes

No problem, if youā€™re used to the bitter taste, you can start with a mixture of 25% cannabis leaves. If you prefer it sweeter, or less bitter, 50%.

It would be that, an interesting thing, is that there are methods for drying yerba mate, derived from indigenous practices, there is even smoking. Another possibility for leaves.

As for the gourd, there are variations, in Paraguay, they drink the iced mate, in ox horns, or thermos cups. It can be adapted, well, to send gourd seeds, they are curcubitaceous. I need to look in the fridge, there are several types of it, I have to find the right gourd.

The straw, a thin bamboo, removing some knots and making some holes is done. But you will have to develop the technique for solids not to rise, with training you will get there.

3 Likes

so interesting! i would have never thought about doing this! and yep i agree @Qtip im gonna have to try it and ur gonna get pics OTUG if there are issues to pay u back for it. (and yes im that gross i will do it!!)

3 Likes