CBD and CBN edibles

howdy folks

been making a few batches of CBD edibles using CBD flower that is roughly 30:1 and am very impressed with the results i’ve been getting with multiple times a day doses.

was curious if anyone had experience with decarbing CBD flower and could shed light on best temperatures and times.

also curious if anyone knows how to create high CBN edibles through decarbing normal THC dominant flower? would love to start using my harvests to make CBN edibles if possible…

7 Likes

I decarb hemp in the oven at 240-250 for about 50 mins usually. Also you can let your plants go deep into the amber to up the THC to CBN conversion. You will still have some THC in there but your CBN level will be much higher the more you let it go amber.
We make oil for edibles and capsules using CBD and THC.

6 Likes

Do you guys use a particular strain that you’ve found to amber up more readily or should this be the case with all strains?

1 Like

All THC should degrade the same, its possible that certain terpenes may help preserve the THC for a little longer or let it degrade faster, but I am unsure of that. I am sure there are a few other variables like thc content, terpene type and content, wax/lipid ratio etc. May be best to go with a faster flowering/Indica type strain.
Just nurse it along and let the plant finish itself off into the deep amber %. Extra UV light will add to the degrade as well.

2 Likes

You don’t need to decarb CBD, it does not need it to become active like THC :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I haven’t heard this before… any chance you have an article/source I can read about it? All I’ve seen are basic 240 degree for 90 minutes or whatever

1 Like

There was an article in the cannabis current events thread. It was earlier this year.

It was saying unlike THCA needing heat to convert it to THC, CBD did not require decarbing to get its benifits.

I just Googled does CBD need to be decarbed to be effective and what I am seeing says yes, so looks like that info is wrong.

My CBD that I don’t decarb, is made into RSO oil, so it may decarb like THCA does when it goes through the oil making process. I will have to decarb my next batch, and see if there is a difference.

Yes the heat from boiling/making RSO decarbs it.

1 Like

The 2 articles I saw yesterday, whilst checking, say that you need higher temps to decarb CBD compared to THC, over 300f and for a longer time as well, the oil does not get hotter than 180f in my still and why I do decarb my THC stuff prior to making oil with it. So I don’t think it is decarbing in the still, but it definitely works well for my pain and inflamation.

@Ttystikk said that his girlfriend can run rings around him related to hemp and CBD. Might be time to get out the Bat Phone and shine a light into the sky. This is timely as I am taking down some CBD plants today and will be stuck in trim jail.

4 Likes

If you want perfect Decarb material I suggest this. I got one and havent looked back. Perfect every time and I find it much better than a oven. Nope not cheap but you get the money back as it holds about 20g and I was using 28g in a oven. My stuff is stronger @ 20g than 28g in the oven. Ive made my money back after the 5th batch. ALSO if smell is a problem you wont smell anything while this is working… at all.

Matter of fact i have a batch going now.

4 Likes

What strain were you growing?

Does anyone notice any effect other than the usual not high placebo?

Not sure what you are asking with ‘not high placebo’.

Not sure why one would want to decarb CBD though…

The reason for converting THCA into THC is so it can cross the blood brain barrier and interact with the CB1 receptors. This gives the effect of feeling high.

CBD, however, has a low affinity for the CB1 receptors so one wont, typically, feel high from it. CBDA will still bind to the CB2 receptors throughout the body, however, reducing inflammation and pain.

5 Likes

Since I have pounds of hemp laying around, I just add decarbed and non decarbed for a bigger buffet of cannabinoids.

CBD is a interesting/complicated subject honestly. We need a thread with a massive writeup of research, facts, evidence and anecdotal evidence/experiences to really paint the best picture about CBD for everyone to look at.

I try not to get deep into the conversations about it because it is easy to step on peoples toes and offend some strict THC users. That being said, I have not used straight THC in over 2 years and don’t see myself going back to THC only ever again.

4 Likes

Yep, she’s the professional for sure. So what do you need to know?

@bassman5420 Speaking personally, I feel like I get the best benefits from a whole plant approach where all the cannabinoids are present and working. THC by itself isn’t enough and by the same token, I truly feel like I’m missing some benefits like pain control and mood if the THC isn’t there.

Some of the best highs I’ve ever had are from strains that didn’t have particularly high THC numbers and I attribute this to the other goodies in the profile.

Get your bat capes on kiddies (just me amusing myself).

I have been doing some looking into if we decarb CBDA or not. A paper I found has some values for the different components but I am still trying to figure out what they mean. Table 1.

While THC hits CB1 and CB2, CBD hits the TRPV1, TRPV3, and TRPV4 channels resulting in pain relief. Or so my reading has lead me to believe. I have been looking to see if we need to decarb the CBDA into CBD for pain relied or if left in the CBDA form the body is better off. So the question is, decarb or not for edibles?

And on having more than just THC, I have some weed that does not have the stone of yester-year for me but when I mix in some CBD strain I have, it give more of a stoned feeling I was looking for. Mind you, I need to try other strains, I am just scratching the surface of modern day weed (only two THC ones so far).

4 Likes

I grew out a critical mass CBD plant not too long ago. I let it go almost 10 weeks. Amber’s were about 50%… this was probably the best overall bud I’ve ever smoked. It reduced my pain and inflammation like no other, clear minded high and gave me a go go go all day high. Wish I would have revegged here, but she had no smell, only thing missing from it.

3 Likes