CBG Breeding Question....What do I have?

Hey Everyone, I’ve got some questions concerning what you think the results of my little project will produce. I ordered 10 Mountain Blizzard CBG Female seeds from Hemp Seed Depot with the intentions of growing them for mother plants and making some seed. I dropped 6 and only got 2 to come up. After they got big enough I took several clones of both
Well once they got big enough I made some CS and reversed my #1 mother plant and bred all the #1 & #2 clones and the other mother. Everything worked great and I made quite a few female seed. So on to my question
What have I made? Will they breed pretty true or have I opened up a large gene pool? These were supposed to be .03 hemp compliant, do you think the seed will retain that or did I create a bunch of female cbg seed for our community to play with?

22 Likes

Oh boy, been waiting to see how these turned out. Looking good!

1 Like

I dont know, but I’d be very interested in growing some out if your sharing lol

3 Likes

Just to be sure I got it straight, you had 2 sisters. You cloned both, reversed one and then there was a wild party and everyone ended up pregnant (…with seed :wink:)

Well, all of the heterogeneous pairs will have a chance of showing up as the classical 25% AA, 50% Aa, 25%aa in your seed.
So the big question is “Is the CBG hetro or homo?” If it is homogeneous you got a home run! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I am going to have several. I also had some pollen get away from me and have some other crosses that may be pretty medicinal. It crossed with Bodhi Strawberry Goji, BOG Sour Blutooth and Blue Tara. They are within a couple weeks of finishing and I will seed from those crosses also

3 Likes

So how do I find that out? Grow some out and test them?

2 Likes

That’s the only way I know…

Unless there is a visual trait that has a high correlation (always paired up with the CBG).

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I know of nothing visual but will check and see but bet I am SOL. Nothing is ever that easy or cheap.
Not considering THC how do you think the CBG will pass on to the other crosses? I think the MB was around 18% CBG and less then .03 THC Could they hold descent THC and CBG percentages?

2 Likes

I would bet that the CBG was breeding true (homogeneous) because that is THE trait they were breeding for.
How are you planning on extracting?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I recently picked up “smokeable hemp” in Hawaii at a tobacco shop…supposedly from Oregon & a CBG variety gave me a seed. :man_shrugging: The brand/label was “Top Hemp” & I can’t find any info on it but was from Irie Hawaii.

Was it smokeable? Yeah, but I mostly used it to cut the Sour D I found there. :blush:

Figured I’d grow it out some day & see WTF it does. :v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Sorry @Gpaw I got sidetracked. I’m making maple syrup and had to stay on a batch and finish it. Right now I have an air still and am using it. I made alcohol with it but have lost it experimenting and just bought a bottle of Everclear but that shit is to expensive. I need to hit Rural King and get some corn. I wish I had a quality extractor but they are to costly for this poor boy

1 Like

I built a 6 gallon column still years ago.
One of my best investments ever :rofl: :+1:

How’s the syrup run going?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Haha… :zipper_mouth_face::wink:

When i was growing up the federal standard was 3%…

Edit: i think the .03% is for seeds

1 Like

I just started boiling yesterday afternoon and I just jarred almost 3 quart. Couple more days I’ll have 2 gallons plus which will last the year. Im just playing around. I give it to family and friends. My grandkids would be pissed if I didn’t do it for them.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s .03. I’ll have to look it up. It is federal. Bedtime right now

1 Like

It was .3%. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard they passed a bill to make it .6%.

1 Like

CBG Breeding

CBG dominance is only expressed in homozygous recessive Bo/Bo ‘allele’ combo at the THCAS/CBDAS linked region. Therefore, if the plants you used as parents were actually CBG dominant plants, then so are all of the offspring.

As far as compliance, that still depends on the residual THC level. Since there is no active CBDAS synthase to produce THC (CBDAS variants all produce some THCA, with mostly CBDA) I am not completely clear where the THC is coming from. Either non-enzymatic conversion from CBG or some other minor cannabinoid synthase gene (CBC maybe) also produces THC. Some CBG plants still have a CBG:THC ratio that means they can go hot as hemp.

The total THC limit for hemp in the United States is 0.03% according to the current USDA hemp interim rule.

4 Likes

The limit is 0.3% THC. The above post has a typo and is apparently too old for me to edit.

2 Likes

I could be mistaken, but I think they changed that to like .6% thc?

The final rule raised the criminal negligence threshold from 0.5 to 1.0 percent. But made the THC limit total-THC and kept it 0.3 percent, with allowances up to 0.35 for the next significant digit and giving a standard error for test variance of 6%. So effectively a test of 0.41 or less is compliant.

Acceptable hemp THC level. When a laboratory tests a sample, it must report the total delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol content concentration level on a dry weight basis and the measurement of uncertainty. The acceptable hemp THC level for the purpose of compliance with the requirements of State or Tribal hemp plans or the USDA hemp plan is when the application of the measurement of uncertainty to the reported total delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol content concentration level on a dry weight basis produces a distribution or range that includes 0.3 percent or less. For example, if the reported total delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol content concentration level on a dry weight basis is 0.35 percent and the measurement of uncertainty is ±0.06 percent, the measured total delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol content concentration level on a dry weight basis for this sample ranges from 0.29 percent to 0.41 percent. Because 0.3 percent is within the distribution or range, the sample is within the acceptable hemp THC level for the purpose of plan compliance. This definition of “acceptable hemp THC level” affects neither the statutory definition of hemp, 7 U.S.C. 1639o(1), in the 2018 Farm Bill nor the definition of “marihuana,” 21 U.S.C. 802(16), in the CSA.”

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp

2 Likes