Hemp Growin Quest

Got a few cultivars of some Farm Bill Compliant Hemp seed started tonight,
I do have questions…

Beings that 2/3 varieties are fiber (bast and hurd) what would be ideal as far as nutrients?

Pump em (with nutes?) or let em grow like the weeds they are??

Also for the “flower” CBG variety,
Are there any special precautions to take?
Any tips on maximizing CBG?

(CBG are FEM seed as well,
the fiber type are REG
if that is significant?)
….

7 Likes

To note,
I do want these to hopefully test within compliance, so steer away from “Bud” oriented nutrients if at all possible.
2/3 are intended for max vegetative plant growth (fiber type) at this point and are being ran for seed production/ not flowers…
The other 1/3 for High CBG (flowers)…

2 Likes

they’ll test like whatever produced them. i’ve been talking to hemp seeds folks and they tell me the chinese seeds are the ones that go hot. they say the french seeds come with a guarantee. if you make your own seeds to use next year, make sure to isolate them and filter the air well so that they don’t get contaminated by someone’s grow you didn’t know about 10 miles away.

8 Likes

here is a link to someone that may have that info. this is also good info. another one.

@ThePotanist may have more info on this…

4 Likes

@sfzombie13
….
You hypin-typin legend over there…
Thank you tremendously!

I am working with Chinese varieties so I’m bummed to hear the “hot” you mentioned…

Will have to put more money towards testing I should assume…
Leading me to …
When should one properly run a test sample for compliance?
Also.
What Part of the plant gets tested in fiber hemp? Beings , it is harvested before
or just at ;
the beginning of flower?

1 Like

Usually CBG plants don’t test hot for THC. The Chinese hemp for fiber should be ok to grow as long as you test below .3 percent THC at 30 days before harvest. Most testing is done with with fan leaves although technically it’s supposed to be taken from the top parts.

1 Like

the way they explained it to me was that the chinese don’t have the strict compliance that the french have. not sure about when you test where you are located, but in wv they do the tests for you. you tell them when you are 30 days out from harvest and they test each lot of hemp and charge you $145 per lot.

i’m getting two 5 lb samples of of different french strains and plan on growing them out for seeds. i’m gonna put half of the sample in the field and use the other half for seeds after i build high houses for them with good filtration. i’ll send you a sample of the seeds when i make them if you want. i couldn’t see paying that much for seeds when they’re easy to make, if you make sure they don’t get contaminated. i tried working with a french company directly but they said i needed an import license and gave me the email of their us supplier. i can get you his contact info if you want to do what i’m doing and make your own seeds. they don’t ship them until late march or early april he said. that way in case yours turn hot you have a backup for next year.

the worst thing i can foresee with this hemp is if i get all set up and going well, then they decide to prohibit thcv or something i’m growing. good luck with it.

1 Like

@sfzombie13 Rockin over there dude!
Def keep me updated, I would love the info!

I’m personally running two lines of chin seed side/side as “homegrown” count for now…

(Bummer for me, as it is wasted smoke ; to count as homegrow :joy:)

I do have long term seed production goals,
and my intent will be to breed down thc to null,
, as best I can…

I also intend to pay out of pocket for testing, and was looking for specifics as far as testing parts of the plants themselves

if you’re doing it for yourself, test the buds. that’s what you’ll be using. i intend on breeding the thc lower but not away and cbd and thcv into some that don’t have any. that’s why i need a great filtration system, breeding high thc plants on the same farm as fiber hemp may not work so well unless they are staggered, and using the sun in a high house limits the ones i can stagger. when i get the seeds done there will be places for giveaways since i’ll need the feedback and crowd sourcing is the way to go. the fiber hemp is going into stationary sets.

1 Like

Ok so to properly breed down I will go for end of flower test hopefully comlpliant in the fiber hemp varieties…
CBG I intend to do some stuff with so THC won’t be a bad thing there…
will update with growth pics as well here on this thread!

Whether or not compliant (doesn’t matter to me in homegrow setting, but in the field will (INDEED) be necessary…
I already had a feeling that one of the varieties (Chin) may go hot; from the little research out there on the one variety…,
but I’m hoping for odds ; as I am.
:blush: