CG | 2x4 | Samsung LM301B/H + 660nm + Emerson | Grow Log

Yep those are the COBs before having now decided to cut them out of the CFand use thermal compound to directly to the quantum boards sinks. As far as the color temps of the nukes (only bought the lens/reflectors) I’m thinking of going Full Spectrum blurple since it will help flower the most with the reds and some blue for THC production. I’m open to what colors you’d choose, and I may even end up going with 2 of my current cobs + 4 nukes.

And probably for the best that I do lens, since I foliar feed quite often. Since I haven’t removed the current cobs I haven’t applied any new compound. The qingying lens/reflector I linked look like they will end up being perfect as it’s the same lens/gasket as these.

EDIT: Bought 2x Nuke Head’s in full sprectrum. Will update when I mount cobs, need a ducting muffler/filter soon for sure.

2 Likes

Can finally post multiple images yay! Mainlined the third plant yesterday, nice beefy stalk on er :smiley:

Plants this morning before pruning/tying down:

Outdoor plant’s stalk is huge in comparison to the strictly indoor ones:
Having to use grocery bags cut into strips until my plant tape arrives

Plant’s after pruning/lst:

Buddy’s plant seems to finally be bouncing back:

Current Blurple COB chip:

Thanks for stopping by, happy 4th of july!!

5 Likes

whole lot of sadist activities going on there, main lining seem like alot of work and time wasting, but hey you do you.

Any expected end date ?

4 Likes

Mainlining is my favorite style of growing, so no I’m likely not going to ever change that while growing indoors, usually I’ll just do variations of 8 colas/16 colas, etc.

My last grow I vegged for 5+ months :wink: got a 1lb from a 400w HPS in a closet slightly bigger than my tent. Chances are I will veg these for another 2-4ish months and get them into 7/10 gallons by flower.

Picture of my last grow, 16 cola Jacky White mainline, 6 month veg:

Look at her stalk!

Delahaze also 16 cola:

Also love super-cropping >:)

4 Likes

Got the 50w Blurple COB removed from its stock frame and transferred onto a AMD Ryzen CPU heatsink + fan, wired the fan to a 12v adapter and everything is good to go. May end up buying 3 more of these heatsinks + fans, then wire them in a series with a driver + dimmer.

Gif:

2 Likes

The H/S should be well matched thermally for that COB. :+1: :sunglasses:
You can easily check if you have an IR thermometer. Any issues with the mounting H/W?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks!! I gotta get an IR thermometer in the future for sure, especially a killawatt, PAR reader, etc but I’d like to go DWC hydro before all that.

No issues mounting it, just drilled 3 holes into the aluminum of the H/S and mounted the PCB that way. The fan was pushing great air so I’m thinking you’re right on this being the perfect combo, but we’ll have to see how the Nuke Head’s compare.

Peace!

2 Likes

The IR thermometer has many uses, like checking leaf temperature (and they are cheap) :+1: The kill-a-watt meter (also cheap) is a must for checking new setups.
Now a PAR meter… ain’t cheap… but… there are light meter apps you can get for your cell phone that can be a help (useless for absolute measurements but great for A/B comparisons).

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Watered the two outdoor plants yesterday and my Buddy’s in the 5gal today. Also installed a false window and am now exhausting the tent directly outside :smiley:

Slapped the second 50w CF Grow Bridgelux chip on a heatsink w/ fan. Also may soon be acquiring a decent amount of mean well 150ws for a very good price, so might be building fixtures to resell here in the nearish future. :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

Plants yesterday:

Plants today:

Attempting (most likely horribly) to clone and use coco pearl for the first time. Soaked two cuttings in seaweed/floralicious for 1-2 days, then dipped the cut ends into root hormone and planted into the solos with coco. Day one watered 1/4th strength, last night gave them a dose of 3/4 strength. Gonna feed them again later today.

5 Likes

I love that CPU H/S!!
That is going to rock that COB. Great match thermally. :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks and agreed! I am looking for these Ryzen Wraiths for the nuke head cobs soon as well!

I’m all ears to hear how you guys would use 150w mean well 24v drivers if you had a surplus of them, either for making a profit or using them for something else!

3 Likes

Some idle thoughts:

I was thinking about your light configuration last night.
I was imagining 4 x 50W blue cobs mounted one light ‘inboard’ from your indicated positions & a couple red lights outboard of the outside lights and angled at 45 (down and in). All of them (3 channels) dimmable and controlled by something like a raspberry pi. Ramp up and down the intensity and add the red in for sunrise and sunset. Add in a few hours on the blue to simulate noon time conditions.

With a rig like that you interface a computer and then you could duplicate the daily diurnal sunlight duration and intensity for any location on the planet (and day-to-day changes mimicking the seasons).
If you wanted, you could add modified light intensities simulating clouds etc.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Awesome ideas, I also was thinking going 4x blue cobs. I might end up buying 4 blues and 4 reds and trying something similar to what you’re mentioning. I’ve been wanting to play with the idea of making a build incorporating hammertone reflective aluminum in a similar fashion as Mars TS series, and due to the fact people have shown higher PAR values with them when combined with QBs, which makes sense.

Can use these blurples to make a cloner/for a mother plant regardless.

1 Like

Nuke heads are coming today, but just ordered 2x more AMD Wraith CPU H/S’s, so will have to use the current H/S’s I have for them.

Other than that I raised the light to about 19-21" @ Canopy, still trying to dial it in being new to LED. Also ordered killawatt meter :smiley:

From the tent this morning:

Buddy’s plant doing much better:

Will update when nuke heads get here.

5 Likes

Didn’t waste time plugging this thing in, and boy am I in love, not sure if I got the Royal Blue or if this is the color of the Full Spectrum. Either way this thing started getting warm in less than a minute, definitely needs a decent heatsink imo. Gonna set this up

blue

6 Likes

That is definitely blue!! :laughing:
OK, now I am seriously impressed, 50W, 5 buck COB…
That has to be the score of the year (or at least in the top 5). :+1: :+1: :sunglasses:
So what do you figure your parts cost per functional light is?

The more I think about that the more uses pop to mind. That blue COB basically is the difference between veg and flower lights.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Awesome thread!! this mans has come to the right website.

+K

2 Likes

Total cost is:

• $4.99 for the COB
  • $10 for the AMD Wraith Cooler
  • $2.99 for the thermal silicon pad or thermal paste
  • ~$5-15 for the 18 solid core wire
  • $5-15 for the power plug (can just re-purpose an old plug)

So yeah honestly the cost-performance ratio is totally there, I was completely happy with the node spacing having two 50w blurple lights in my grow case, they did very well for 2 months until I transplanted from solo cups into the 2 gallons when they began to outgrow the case. Could totally do a 1 month veg, and flower in that case with two of these just depends on how well these blue nukeheads compare in the veg process which is yet to be seen until I germinate my next seeds.

I slacked off for literally a few days and my two females are back to their fickle ways, looking less than happy, both having a light green discoloration and droopyness that looks like I watered a day too soon. Attributing this to it being almost a month since their transplant and them being hungry so I’ll give them a good feeding next water and go from there, if they don’t improve from there I’ll likely just transplant them, going to halt foliar feeds for now too. It could also be the dolomite lime finally reaching the roots and causing toxicity but am leaning more towards them being hungry.

Gotta check my outdoor ones next

5 Likes

Two new Wraith Coolers delivered, so nuke heads will be happy :smiley:

4 Likes

well if they are anywhere near similar to the ones migro tested aways back they would be quite inefficient… Also what is your definition of performance cause unless your measuring light output watts really means nothing, i would happen to guess that Screw in led light bulbs would beat them, bridgelux eb2 strips for sure in a light output vs cost relations.

Like the charts for the the full spectrum cobs have them at only 823lumens at 50w, yes its lumens and lumens are measured more with a 555nm focus but even still efficency is in the 16.6lm/w range. but say more comparable take their warm white cob its 3560lm at 50w vs say 4 “8w” labeled Philips screw in led bulbs, they would get you the same light output at 30+% less energy and $12 apart from fixtures

Just food for thought

4 Likes