CG | 2x4 | Samsung LM301B/H + 660nm + Emerson | Grow Log

I wished he also collected some data with the lens off.
The numbers were abysmal but it would be interesting to see the effect.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I’m not measuring with any set standard, only the actual performance of said COBs for what I used them for. And they did perform very well for being blurple bridgelux 50w cobs, regardless of measurements. Sure the grow area was full tower computer case (lined with grow tent reflective) and sure there was noticeable stretch, but for the price the fact i can veg with them at all means they are worth it to me. Now once I put them to their actual intended use as supplemental lighting during flower, I believe the price-performance I am speaking of will make perfect sense, for being a $5 ($20-30 total) COB I mean.

For 100w total blurple LEDs, I do think this is good results regardless of what their lumen output or PAR rating may be, I cannot complain. Now if they make my bud frostier, it is worth every penny but that is my opinion as a novice LED grower. Of course I am not comparing them to strips or boards that would be nonsense, just to my own expectations.

4 Likes

Curious if the stronger than usual foliar feed dose played a part in the discoloration of the two plants since I used more floralicious than usual (1 & 1/2 tsp + 2tbs kelp, versus my usual 1 tsp & 2 tbs kelp).

Regardless I fed both plants with:

• 3/4 tsp MaxiBloom
  • 2.5ml CaliMagic
  • 1ml Floralicious
  • 1 tbs Kelp Concentrate

Roughly 3/4ths of a gallon of water each.

Noticed some clawing on the one I fed yesterday, but it shouldn’t be a big deal seeing as I transplanted them on 6/16 - exactly a month ago. Despite that they are looking okay, trimmed all the plants up today and tied them down again, smells divine! Sticky as hell and the leaves just reek of a earthy-pine-skunky aroma :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Light Power: 80% | Distance: 19"

Today’s leaf hull (dog loves eating leaves, also keeps him satiated and away from the plants):

Buddy’s Plant, trimmed and topped twice (leaving the one node for the lulz):

Outdoor to indoor refuge (pretty sure it’s a girl), topped 4 times and trimmed/tied down:

Two girls (discolored), trimmed one set of nodes and re-tied despite probably transplanting within a week or two I mostly do this as it’s cathartic, plus really opens them up for airflow and makes setting the strip’s height easier
gifferdoodle

The gang:

Thanks for stopping by, stay safe ya’ll

5 Likes

Transplant day!! :money_mouth_face: Up-potted my three indoor plants today & tied them back down. Next on the agenda is to transplant the two outdoor plants.

I’ve also changed my opinion on blue light during flower after finding Dr. Bugbee’s work on the matter, it has little to no effect on THC or CBD production. Although my light is lacking blue spectrum so I’m definitely going to supplement it, especially during the stretch.

The one on the left is super sensitive to her watering schedule, so this trasnsplant was more stressful on her than the right one, but all in all their color is slowly returning with new growth so I’m thinking it was the foliar feeds in the end.

This light is kicking fucking ass and I have to pinch myself that it’s mine still, a dream come true! Until I get a watt meter, can only assume I have it set at 70-80% power, to keep it under 78F I’ve had the exhaust on full blast and the AC kicking in during this 100 degree heat index.

5 Likes

your white leds and even your nukeheads have more than enough blue in them just look into the spec sheets for them.

3 Likes

Good point you’re right, didn’t really consider that you probably don’t even need that much blue with Emerson anyways . From my interpretation of Dr. Bugbee’s explanation is you need just enough blue to stop cell expansion (the stretch), and then the emerson to counteract this, sorta a yin & yang?

Each strip has: 58x 2700K LM301B, 16x 4000K LM301H, 16x 6500K LM301B, 4x 600nm Deep Red, 2x 730nm Far Red IR

3 Likes

Something happened today to have me sufficiently spooked (copter flew 75-100 feet above them while I was outside). And no, I’ve not been smoking :wink: - getting rid of the outdoor plants but no worries they will be in good hands.

NEBAGIBUP

Great link, thanx!

:+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

1 Like

Another day, another log update! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As soon as my buddy takes his plants, and all plants look healthy I’m going to DIY a floating scrog net using twine + PVC piping. Then just need to buy some more flower nutes and should be good to go, at max I might transplant one more time to say 8 or 10 gals. Hopefully should have them flowing by august, then I’ll start Jack Herer and White Widow seeds w/ the grow case.

Topped all three (2x ML, 1 Manifold) plants to have 16 colas today!

Recap of growth from 7/21 to today (GIF):

6 Likes

Got bored and decided to tinker with the grow case today. Annnnnnnnddddddd the case has quantum board tech with its own reflector at that! It’s so blinding on 100% that you will see spots for many minutes.

I turned the voltage pot (left) all the way to 24v (which the sun board strips run at) and have been using the HLG-150 A series built in dimmer pot (right) to control current. Had an old 90w driver and tested using a pot with a nuke head and it works, but it did little to nothing.

Recycled an old HID Wing Reflector for this mostly so it can be used as a heatsink. Then I’d like to mount a 200mm PC fan or two exhausting out the top. The two dimmer switches are functional, but not for the strip, only for if I add the COBs To finish the frame, I’d like to eventually buy some thermal pad, then bolt down the main body using leftovers of the reflector.

above

4 Likes

Germinated 4x seeds this morning, 2x ILGM White Widow, 2x ILGM Jack Herer. Feminized ofc!

Doing the paper towel method, working on the veg case. So far I’ve been stress testing the strip, and it absolutely cannot be ran anywhere near 100% without a true aluminum extruded heatsink as I melted two diodes right off. Fortunately the diodes are working still so just gotta solder them back on.

1 Like

Ordered the following today: TDS meter, Multimeter + digital display (watt, current, voltage, energy) and a soldering kit + 0.3mm solder (smallest diameter I could find).

Need the multimeter so I can tune my A-Series HLG drivers (turn both the volt&current pots all the way to max for 5 minutes, turning the voltage down to the lowest state while maintaining the max 48w rate on these strips. Now I can plug the volt pot and use the current pot for dimming).

JH/WW seeds this morning all have a noticeable size increase (soaked them in water for 12 hours) and are starting to taproot. Will have them in the grow case by next week.in solo cups of FFOF.

My mission is building a bubbleponics system for these plants. Plan is to use 2x 20 gal black totes, and put 2 plants/ea. Gonna slowly buy the parts and just use soil until I have the system built.

:pray::money_mouth_face: :pray:

2 Likes

Jack Herer is in the lead, with the longest taproot in less than 48hrs! Both white widow seeds are showing tap but I’m going to give them another day or so to get longer.

Jack Herer #1:

White Widow seeds:

Also planted WW #1!!

2 Likes

Scrog almost finished but looking promising! Two seedlings have sprouted and are under the single 96 diode Samsung Emerson strip + extruded heatsink and a 200mm exhaust fan dedicated for it. Running both pots basically as low as they’ll go at 15" from canopy. Switched from the blue/blurple cobs I had in there and the seedlings are now taking off :sunglasses:

JH #1:

WW #2:

5 Likes

Jack herer still struggling with some of its shell:

White widow on fire!

Still waiting for the other two to sprout :pray:. Buddy took his plant, girls loving their new found breathing room!

6 Likes

Give it a light spray with some RO or distilled water. That should help it shed that helmet head. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

That did the trick! Spritzed it with some filtered tap yesterday afternoon and this morning :). Thank you!

White widow:

Some stretch but nothing I didn’t account for by not filling the cups to the brim with soil so no biggie. Waiting on the other two to sprout, should have let their taproots get longer.

3 Likes

Man oh man do I love these strips!!! I’m going to be a broken record saying that but it’s the truth!

The jack herer/white widow in the computer case under the 1x 48w R spec strip is just blowing the 2x 50w bridgelux COBs away. The node spacing is fantastic, and the ability for me to overclock this strip if I wanted is also amazing. The total cost of the nuke head cob is $20-30 give or take. The total cost of one of these strips is $30-50 (the strip itself ~$23, the heatsink $10, a driver $8-30).

GIF 8 Day Period

August 13th:

August 20th:

Unfortunately the other two seeds aren’t looking like they’re gonna sprout, I’ll take the blame for that.

GIF 8 Day Period Tent
August 13th:

August 20th:

The “manifold” plant is again looking droopy, and the mainline #1 is looking light colored again. Yet the middle plant is as healthy as can be, so it’s my opinion that these are just different phenotypes and are just very sensitive plants. The manifold I think is droopy due to her watering schedule, but the lightening of color I’ve got no idea.

4 Likes

Nice looking grow @ClosetGrower. I got to agree with what @Mr.Sparkle stated above. Mainlining seems like a major waste of time but if it works for ya it works for ya i guess. 6 months veg plus another 8 to 10 weeks of flower time for 1 pound of weed is not ideal in my opinion. Thats atleast 8 months for a single elbow. Plants look wonderful though. Keep on keepen on.

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliments man.

I do agree, and will admit to being stubborn headed sometimes. I don’t grow for personal consumption as much as the enjoyment, and it would be more enjoyable to get into flower sooner and complete more grows. Mostly the long veg for me is ironing out and getting a feel for the different plants as preferably I’d like them to at least look similar to my middle plant when entering flower, which currently have yet to succeed in doing with this grow as you can see above.

Would like to attempt hydro soonish and see if we can’t cut the time down a lot and start trying different methods of training.

3 Likes