CHEF 420s basic Tips for Cooking with Cannabis

CHEF 420s basic Tips for Cooking with Cannabis

The average pot enthusiast is more likely to dump an ounce of shake into some brownie batter, rather than whip up something actually digestible and effective, so I decided to share some of the best edibles tips to up your cannabis cooking.

Concocting your own pot brownies has long been a haphazard and inexact science for recreational stoners—instructions will vary on the amount of bud and method of infusion, and often DIY cannabis cooks pay no mind to the potency of the strain they’re using. And while residents living in states where medical marijuana is legalized can buy a wide-range of edibles from dispensaries, the average pot enthusiast is more likely to dump an ounce of cannabis into some brownie batter, rather than whip up something digestible if left to his own devices.
Don’t Throw Actual Weed into the Recipe
That’s not the way it works. A lot of people say, “Oh yeah, I put a gram of Blue Dream into my brownies and they were amazing.” No, they really weren’t. First of all, I don’t believe you, because if you’re going to put the actual ground-up bud into your brownies, sure, there’s going to be some form of decarboxylation that occurs, and you’ll get some of the potency of the herb into your brownies. But they’ll taste horrible, will give you about half the high, and take longer to take effect.
Potency Isn’t Everything
Amateur edible makers will often talk about how strong their brownies are, but I don’t think they really understand what that means. When I first got into this industry, I went to a dispensary with some friends who wanted to get some edibles. I was hesitant because I’d already had a bad experience with a highly potent edible that didn’t taste good and I thought it was a waste of money for me. Meanwhile, my friend was like, “Oh, a 150 milligram brownie, I’ll get that!” It was like $30, and I don’t even think he knew what he had just bought.
If there’s one message I want to get out there, it’s that people need to understand that the typical dose is 10 milligrams of THC. If you want to have a good experience, you should aim for that. Buying a 150 milligram brownie doesn’t mean you’ll have a good time—you most likely will not. Once you understand the basics of dosing, then you can actually have a really enjoyable experience with edibles.

Pay Attention to THC Percentages and Get Your Ratios Right
You have to know the percentage of THC in the bud you’re using. I cook with a lot of high CBD (cannabinol, a non-psychoactive compound also found in marijuana that is often used for medical patients) strains as well, so understanding that is also very important if you’re cooking specifically for medical patients. But the thing is, you can’t really have too much CBD. The worst that can happen if you overload on CBD is you might get tired and fall asleep.

The bigger issue is having too much THC, because if you are inexperienced and have too much of that, the negative effects are you might get excessive psychoactive effects —You don’t want that. You have to know the percentage you’re starting with, and then you have to know how thc incorporates into the butter, oil, or tinctures that you infuse it into. You also need to understand the quantity and how to deal with it when making edibles. For example, let’s say you’re doing a simple boxed brownie recipe that calls for a third of a cup of oil.
A quick fix would be just replacing that with a third of a cup of canna-oil. However, if you do that and you don’t understand the potency of the cannabis oil you are using, you can’t say how many milligrams of THC are in each brownie, you might actually over-medicate your brownies. But if you understand the potency, you can figure out something like, If I use a third of a cup of oil, each individual brownie’s going to be 15 milligrams, and I don’t want that. I want each of my brownies to be five milligrams, so I’m just going to make one third of that third be canna-oil, and the other two-thirds will be regular oil. You can actually use a online calculator to figure out how much oil to use based on the THC potency of the bud in order to make edibles with the potency you desire.
Cleaning Your Weed?
Let’s just say you took your weed and put it into a crock pot, like a lot of people do, with some butter, oil, and let it simmer. What you’re really doing, in addition to simmering all of those cannabinoids into the butter and oil, is also adding in any impurities that are in it. So anything that tastes really bad could be something as horrible as insecticides, dirt, or it could just be the chlorophyll, which also has a specific taste that’s pretty powerful.
If you have taken a look at you weed with a magnifier, you will notice trichomes growing like little mushrooms all over. these trichomes are delicate and too strong of a water flow will wash away your high, I try not to wash in water beforehand. If you don’t know where your cannabis comes from, and your not sure if pesticides have been used in the growing process, I use a spray bottle and gently let the water with any pesticides drip off, try not to place your weed under running water.
Don’t Cook Above 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
What is the highest temperature for cooking with cannabutter? Most recipes call for you to hit 350F, and that would be fine if most ovens were precise and didn’t fluctuate between ten and twenty-five degrees of where they say they’re at, (All recipes are different cannabutter cookies cook at a different temperature than say, chocolate cake, make sure you fallow the recipes recommendations) Unfortunately that’s not the case, and THC starts to degrade at 365 F. So if you’re cooking at 350 F, you’re likely going to start degrading and evaporating the THC. Use a internal thermometer and test the oven before hand, to make sure there is not a large fluctuation in temperature.
Also, when you’re cooking in a pan to, say, sauté’ something, you have to be very careful. Obviously people use butter and oil to sauté all the time, but if you’re thinking of using canna-butter or recipes using canna oil, just be aware that you can not use it in the same way you would use anything else. When you’re cooking a dish that requires a stove top, what you have to do is put the canna butter or canna oil in at the end. Basically, you shut the heat off and you mix the butter or oil around to coat everything while the pan is still hot. That way, you won’t lose any of the potency.

12 Likes

I didn’t know about the calculator. From experience, some people seem to get nothing from edibles. Some are very sensitive and the affects last a long time. It can scare new patients away. Especially the sativas with their sometimes anxiety inducing affects.

I have been chipping small pieces of shatter/badder and attempting to dissolve that in orange extract. I add a bit of hot milk and get it finished dissolving and then make a cup of cocoa with it. Tangie is a favorite this way. There are some tinctures and oils fr sale of late in the dispos.

Maybe a gram of wax in 250 ml of oil and dissolve then weigh it to figure the percentage/dosage so could then use a dropper with markings,to just make some.

6 Likes

You can’t forget the emulsifier if you want consistent dosing in each bite. Without one the cannabinoids are likely to settle in the mixture.

If you want to try something new add some Marshmallow Fluff to the batter after mixing. Fold it in and it should keep everything held stable with no separation.
Don’t get jet puffed. They use too much of some metal in their recipe and it just tastes like aluminum and sugar.
Get the original Fluff or nothing. No offensive metallic taste.

That’s really a quick fix instead of making your own whipped emulsifier yourself to do the same thing. Alternatively you can mix the Fluff in in place of the sugar. The egg content in it is negligible. It won’t throw off the chemistry too bad. In fact if you like fluffy cake this is the thing to try.

For the brownies I’ve personally found that folding works best. Fluffy brownies are tasty, but honestly I’m thinking it’s cake in each bite. It’s easier to keep as little air in the brownie batter as possible if you enjoy dense chewy fudge brownies.

There are many tips on this site, bit overall a tips thread would be a nice thread to go along with @ReikoX thread on tinctures, edibles, and general infusions.

9 Likes

thanks for pointing out there is one. I’ll find it.I’d :heart: you but I keep running out :person_frowning:

5 Likes

It’s alright. Just keep active and you’ll get a lot more to share the :heart: soon

4 Likes

I don’t use bud for making anything I bake. A quarterpound of somewhat ground stems per pound of butter is what I do. Save your stems from everything you grow and smoke and with in a few months or less you should have plenty to use. Smoke the buds!

6 Likes

Thanx for the tips, I like that there are more extracts, shatter etc. available, and knowing the profile of it makes dosing so much easier.

3 Likes

Thanx for the heads up I was unaware of the thread, I’m new and I didn’t see much about edibles, just some random questions.

5 Likes

Exactly! for my personal infusions I like to use stems and cuttings. If you have access, which most of you here have I would guess, this is the way to go.-It’s very hard to know dosing this way, but for stoners like me, that isn’t really a problem-but be careful with newbies.
Chef 420

4 Likes

I feel that probably too well.

With myself rather than experience I have my issues to blame for my heavy tolerance. I doubt I’m the only person on this site who uses recreational for medical uses. After all THC helps treat Autism symptoms. I also eat it raw occasionally to help treat my failing memory and as a anti-inflammatory. I made a Green dragon made with MCT oil and 95% ABV everclear I soaked for a week that I soaked up with sugar cubes. My goal on that one was CBN. I use that as my primary antipsychotic.

If I had a choice I’d find something with ∆8-THC, ∆9-THC, CBC, CBD, CBG, CBN, CBD-V, THC-V, limonene, myrcene, Humulene, Caryophyllene, linalool, geraniol, Terpineol, ∆3-Carene, Borneol, and Valencene. Until that magically exists I’ll have to keep crafting it as needed.

Also I’m aware I soaked up all the chlorophyll. That was also my goal. It’s a good anti-inflammatory also.

8 Likes

So I have sought but not found the literature that notes the levels of these variables found in strains for comparison. All I ever see is CBD and THC not CBN data or the others. the terpene profiles yea some of that. but to be able to trace the ones you want back to a combo? nah…

And I don’t know yet if edibles even affect me. I have not experienced the affects much. I wonder if it will be like first adjustment to thc… did not feel the affects initially for several doses.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to start making edibles! Still waiting for my first harvest and once I’ve got something to cook with I’ll be calling this my home.

Thinking of picking up a rosin press since I’m not much of a smoker. But I do have plans on making everything from macarons to pasta sauce.

2 Likes

Try a low dose initially unless you enjoy feeling blasted off a experiment. I can’t recommend MCT oil enough for potent edibles. It makes anything I’ve ever made at least 2x stronger. Over the last 2 years from experiments I’ve found I can make my edibles any which way, but unless it has something to increase bioavailability I usually need 4x the dose to feel the same. If I add lecithin and no MCT oil I get half strength. With it my edibles never fail. Even those who never get high off edibles got high off mine with the lecithin and MCT oil combo. Turns out I surround myself with heavy users or people who can’t absorb any medicine orally properly. I’ve been essentially experimenting on them to gauge my potency. No matter the recipe those 2 now go in mandatory and I now have people coming to me with their weed to make them edibles as they can’t wait for me to harvest or get some of my own LoL.

3 Likes

I have been using a vape pen and using wax at times. I smoke about 1+ grams (flower not wax -lol) a day depending on potency. I put a dab doses of wax in a cup of hot chocolate I can feel it a little. Thx for the heads up on lecithin and MCT I thought I needed the lecithin as it makes a good emulsifier.

3 Likes

Few years ago I ate too much and will never do that again. After 2hrs of hiding under covers, I had to crawl around just to goto the washroom. Some next level shit lol

I’ve been making capsules for myself with just coconut oil, lecithin and thc distillate and have my dose down perfect. Some family members pop 1 and they are good, while for me 4-5 lets me still function around the house.

Rosin will be my choice to cook with, and i’ll be sure to post some recipes once I get going. Plus hoping to pick up a lot of tips along the way also.

5 Likes

Sounds great let me know if I can help! I have lots of recipes Chef-420

3 Likes

Definition-MCT
MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides. They are a type of fat most often derived from coconut oil. The difference between MCT oil and coconut oil is that MCT oils are more concentrated and contain different proportions of MCTs. While coconut oil certainly has MCTs in it, concentrated MCT oil is almost entirely MCTs.

MCT oil is colorless, odorless, and stays liquid at room temperature, making it the perfect fat for making cannabis based tinctures. Cannabinoids break down and are stored in fat versus water. So they are best consumed with fat to increase absorption. Take note that not all fats are equal for this

The liver sees the MCT oils as carbs and directly metabolizes the oil into energy. It does this without causing free-radicals, because the liver still processes it as a fat. This rapid metabolism also puts the cannabinoids to use right away.
https://getbaked.recipes/recipes/cannabis-mct-oil/
source

5 Likes

Yeah that’s the other reason I prefer MCT oil over coconut oil. To get the same bioavailability I had to make my edibles greasy before. It’s fine for a rice crispy treat, but pretty much anything else is gross when it’s that greasy if it’s normally at most containing enough to be smooth and held together.

I’ve found MCT oil can evaporate if left out in the right circumstances.

If you mix MCT oil in ethanol it won’t evaporate as readily on its own. Just stir it occasionally at room temp and the alcohol readily evaporates leaving a room temperature solvent transfer. It’s not perfect though and will have some alcohol left that the MCT oil encapsulated.

If I’m working with lecithin I’ll work with it separate to get it to the right temperature and consistency or it’ll just settle in the solution. Don’t add too much lecithin or it’ll settle also.

The MCT oil also seems to dissolve sunflower lecithin better than soy lecithin ime.

If you’re making something that you can use a mixing machine for do it every time. The mechanical force adds another aspect of lecithin and why it’s used. Same reason why eggs occupy a large volume with very little egg in the solution when whipped. Even after it settles and the air bubbles deflate the lecithin has through both solvent and mechanical function encapsulated the mixture in itself. Lecithin readily sticks to itself and will settle and clump in a mixture if not handled properly. If you get it fully emulsified to a nougat or merengue consistency it won’t ever separate on its own. You can slowly stir it from there to work out the air Incorporated and the resulting mixture will be the same dose in every crumb.

Of course some recipes you can’t do this with or you completely ruin the chemistry that it needs to be what your making. For those like brownies and the like dry sift clump free lecithin in the dry mixture and mix everything together before you add any wet ingredients. Likewise add the liquid lecithin to the eggs in the recipe before mixing. It’ll bind to the egg better than any other ingredients in the recipe.

5 Likes

So I gave a friend about 1000mg to make me some peanut butter cups. I received a batch of 24back. Each dose was expected to be perfect to put me to sleep.

She didn’t mix it well enough. So far one worked just perfect, slept amazing.

So instead of me continuing my game of finding the 1 magic cup that holds possibly 200mg or more, would it be ok for me to melt them all and try to make some sorta chocolate bar from it?

I just ate 1 awhile ago and no dice. While I’m tempted to find the golden ticket I’d still rather just enjoy a nice buzz.

19 left and counting.

4 Likes

Hay I would say if the peanut butter was not mixed in, you could melt the chocolate and make bars. I think the oils in the peanut butter would dilute the chocolate and it wouldn’t re-harden, might be a little runny. you could chop it all up and then portion it into a smoothie before bed, or blend it in some milk. hope this helps,.
If you wait a few, I’m sure somebody here will tell you how to chemically break it down, and re constitute it into something.

4 Likes