Chefs and Foodies - Post Your Favorite Recipes (bonus points for pics)

I love making a big pot of soup or stew or gumbo. It takes me hours, but then we can be lazy for days and just heat it up. I will definitely save your recipe @DougDawson!

BTW - I add peas after my soup or stew is cooked and I turn off the heat. This allows the peas to cook, but not overcook.

5 Likes

Thanks, hope you enjoy it. I get what you mean with the peas, that’s why I do the initial bring to boil and 60 min cook before adding them. They go in for the last 30 min simmer but you have a valid point. You really don’t want mushy peas. Good info to add so thanks for that :grinning: I am loving this thread.

1 Like

20 year butcher myself before that working in slaughterhouses,do a bit of everything from cooking in restaurants,bouncing,making musical instruments

I’m making sausages at the minute little side line lol

14 Likes

You can find them at the grocery store for around 5.99 a lb, they are like a ribeye but smaller, they hold together better, equally tender and more flavor.

5 Likes

This is an easy recipe that I ‘made’ to copy a selection that was available from Chinese restaurants in an area I used to live. I have never seen them available elsewhere. It was never pluralized on the menu (just Chicken Stick) but it usually came in a box of 6.

Chicken Stick

Boneless chicken breasts
Bacon strips
Wooden skewers

Soak skewers in water for an hour.

Cut up chicken into long strips. Wrap a piece of bacon around each & skewer it. Make sure you get the ends of the bacon strip to keep it all together.

Heat 1/2” of oil in a heavy frypan over medium heat – not too hot or they cook too fast.

Dip the strips in the batter mixture to coat.

Fry for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown & the chicken is cooked (cut into one to test if needed).

Drain on paper towels & serve hot with Kikkoman soy sauce (I like Kikkoman because it is nice & salty). Yum. Yum.

Batter

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix Five Roses Flour, baking powder and salt together. Add milk and water slowly and beat until batter is smooth. Let the batter sit for 20 minutes to combine properly.

Note: This is a basic batter that you can use for any battered food – chicken fish etc.

19 Likes

That looks delicious, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Wow - that does look tasty! Gotta love deep fried bacon! But it’s chicken, too, so it’s practically health food! :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Roast Sticky Chicken

This recipe is a great way to roast a large chicken. It is reminiscent of those rotisserie-style chickens that are so popular now, and it is very easy to make. The meat comes out very moist and flavorful, so it is as good leftover as freshly cooked. You need to start this the night before serving.

4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
I tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

1 large roasting chicken, as big as you can find

1 cup chopped onion

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

You can make a spicy gravy from the drippings.

(Found on the net somewhere)

12 Likes

My favorite dinner.

1 Like

Jesus, what’s the weight when you receive it?

1 Like

Like bacon wrap brussel sprouts lol
The good and the bad in a delicious little ball

3 Likes

That’s good and good to me brother. If I love me some brussel sprouts.

7 Likes

I made my wife oxtails and beef stew for her work lunches the other day,most
Of the food you see me
Post I don’t eat,I’m a very picky eater lol,my wife brings most of it to work they have potluck at work
She’s a nurse works night shift

I dipped the oxtails and beef stew meat in some flour with salt and pepper added

Browned them off all sides for couple of minutes
Chopped up an onion 2 orange bell peppers 3 gloves of garlic chopped,funny enough I have orange red yellow bell peppers growing in the tent

Meat out of the pan,onions and bell peppers garlic in,salt pepper once it’s soften up a bit meat back in
Couple for a couple of minute ,deglaze the pan with some red wine,

Add 2 cups of beef stock,good splash of oyster sauce and hoisin sauce, 3-4 bay leaves,good splash of ketchup
Tablespoon of sugar,another good splash of
Red wine into the oven 3 bay leaves

You want to be cooking this low
And slow 350 oven for about 3 hours,after the first hour and a half is over I chopped up some mushrooms carrots and potatoes,back into the oven
I like to check it every hour ,once the meat falling off the bone it’s done, season to taste,you can eat it with streamed rice,or garlic bread or
Just a nice loaf of bread and real butter

18 Likes

ALWAYS real butter! And I think I’d eat it with a fresh baked loaf of a simple crusty artisan bread.

That stew looks and sounds like some perfect comfort food on a cold day. Also, I like that you’ve devoted some space to growing the bell peppers. I do well with my outdoor garden, but I rarely get my red and yellow bell peppers to be as productive as any of my hot pepper plants. I’ve thought about growing them indoors, but I just don’t want to use the space for it.

4 Likes

My wife bought me a bigger tent so I use the 24-24-5ft one for the veggies I tried growing out on the deck San Francisco fog kills your plants ,it’s good for spuds ,

1 Like

Where has this thread been my whole life!!

4 Likes

2 chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped sundries tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 cup cheese button ravioli things (one 12oz frozen bag does the trick)
2jars Alfredo type sauce (I make my own with heavy cream, Cabot seriously sharp, Parmesan, Asiago, and truffle oil)

Cook chicken in garlic and pine nuts. Add tomatoes, while tomatoes cook start to cook the ravioli things.
Add sauce to chicken
Remove from heat, drain ravioli and add to chicken sauce combo, mix well and then enjoi. I find it’s better on the reheats. And you’ll find the combo that works best for chicken to sauce ratio at the hospital I worked at we went a little more on the sauce as it was more of a soup type deal that was thickkkkkk

3 Likes

Here’s a handy one
Irish potato bread and you have use real spuds with this no packet shit lol

Boil some spuds pit a little bit of salt in the water,
Once there ready drain water don’t burn yourself
Get some whole milk and not breast milk and some real butter mash till smooth add tiny pinch of salt to taste let them cool down

Add some flour depends on how much potatoes you made ,mix together and put it on a flat surface with a little bit of flour,roll it out get a dinner plate and cut around it then you have the perfect circle lol

Cut into triangles,I don’t know why the Irish do that but it looks good,

Heat a skillet/frying pan depends what part of this world your on you want it to look like the 3rd photo
You can eat it like this with a piece of butter,or you can heat them up the next day for irish breakfast,little bit of oil in a pan and heat both sides

14 Likes

It was $125 a pound. Best meat I have ever eaten. Seasoned with sea salt and fresh pepper, then seared rare in a smoking hot pan.

2 Likes

Spider steak from the H bone…

1 Like