Chefs and Foodies - Post Your Favorite Recipes (bonus points for pics)

This recipe has become one of my family’s all-time favourites. I found it in a magazine and have gradually adapted it to my style. I could probably make it blindfolded and behind my back after 30 years of cooking it.

Penne Pasta with Tomatoes and Italian Sausages

extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves - sliced very thin
1 or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary about 4 to 6 inches long or 1 1/2 tsp dried leaves
1 28 oz can of Italian plum tomatoes - drained but keep liquid
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
enough penne or other short, tubular pasta
1 tsp balsamic vinegar or to taste

1 package of Italian sausages (5 or 6). I prefer a hot non-fennel version.

Brown sausage quickly on med heat in olive oil. Remove & slice thinly & return to pan to finish frying through. (It’s much easier to thin slice sausage if it is partially cooked). Remove from pan & keep warm.

Sauté garlic quickly with fresh rosemary on medium heat. As soon as garlic begins to sizzle add the canned tomatoes, salt and liberal grindings of pepper (and if using dried rosemary put it in now). Throw in the cooked sausage pieces as well. Roughly chop the tomato chunks and add reserved tomato juice as needed and cook the sauce down for about 10 to 12 minutes. You want it fairly thick. Turn off heat & remove garlic slices.

Cook pasta to desired texture. Drain & add to sauce & toss on low heat.

Turn off heat and make well in middle of pasta. Pour vinegar into well, draw pasta over it, toss thoroughly for a few seconds, and serve at once with shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

10 Likes

OK . . . one more & then I’ll shut up. This is a really easy recipe to make and it is very, very good. Don’t let the sauce scare you because it is easy and very hard to mess it up. The wine/stock combination is the backbone of many sauces in European cooking.

Pork Medallions in Mustard Cream

1 pork tenderloin - trimmed of fat & silver skin
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
2 green onions (chopped)
4 oz or so of small white mushrooms - sliced
1/2 cup dry white vermouth (or dry white wine with a tiny dash of white sugar)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I use salt-reduced)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard (to taste)
salt & freshly ground pepper

Cut each tenderloin into ½” slices. Flatten with a meat pounder to 1/4" thickness. Pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt & pepper.

In a small saucepan, combine the vermouth and the chicken broth. Let it boil down to ½ while you are frying the meat.

In large, heavy frying pan, combine equal portions of butter and vegetable oil over medium high heat (the combination lets you fry hotter than plain butter). When butter stops foaming, brown medallions quickly on each side. If your pan is hot enough, it will only take 30 seconds or less per side. Fry multiple batches – do not crowd and do not overcook - pink on the inside is best. Remove the pork and keep covered & warm.

Add mushrooms & onions & cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until the ‘shroom juice abates. Add the result to the warming plate with the pork.

Pour off any excess oil from pan & add vermouth & broth reduction. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Stir in cream & mustard (to taste) & boil for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Adjust seasonings.

Hint: To thicken sauce further (might not be necessary) combine 1 tbs soft butter with an equal amount of flour. Cream these together in a small bowl & add to sauce & stir immediately. Allow it to boil carefully to dissolve the flour but do not leave it alone.

Arrange pork medallions & veggies on a serving platter pour sauce over. Serve immediately with oven roasted potatoes. Makes 2 - 4 servings.

Note: This recipe works equally well with boneless chicken or veal. Maybe even with a white fish.

11 Likes

Did you make the sausage

1 Like

Everything looks great! Youve inspired me to cook a tasty dinner. Stayed tuned for recipe and pics!

3 Likes

A man of my own heart. I own and run a small restaurant so I make sausages, we do osso bucco (pork), and try to do everything from scratch. I don’t butcher, don’t have a band saw, and refuse to do it with a big hacksaw. We buy primals, and there really is no substitute for quality meat. We don’t do veal either, I guess on some kind of ethical grounds.

5 Likes

No. We buy them from a small Italian supermarket near us.

1 Like

I believe this is called Braciole…something my grandmother made. Anytime I’m in need of a killer steak/veal sandwich this is my goto.

Steak cutlets
Italian breadcrumbs
Parmigiano-Reggiano
Parsley

Mix equal parts of breadcrumbs/cheese and add chopped parsley. Spread on steak/roll and either tie or use toothpicks to secure. Pan fry in olive oil (just to brown)

Sauce
Medium onion diced
Garlic
1 can tomato paste
1 bottle strained tomatoes - 23oz
Copped Parsely
Basil leaves
Olive oil

Sautee onions and once ready add garlic and cook for ( 30sec-1min)
Added tomato paste and let cook for a minute or so
Add strained tomatoes, and add 2 cans of water (same can as tomato paste)
Add parsely, basil leaves and if you have a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano you can place in the sauce. I usually save the skins for this reason. Remove after youve simmered.

I usually let this simmer for 4hours or so, and like to add other meats (sausages, meatballs etc) for extra flavour in the sauce.

If you love some heat, put hot peppers of your choice inside the meat before rolling it up. Next level!

This is cooking right now…and will post some pics later of the meat when she comes out. Turn this puppy into a nice sandwich…also great on its own.

8 Likes

I will eat this without even the slightest cooking. Have been doing so for years. Also check out “Wendy Marshall eats raw meat” on YouTube if you want to see someone considerably sexier than me eating raw meats

5 Likes

That’s the way to go,I like home made sausage you know what going into them,I should of opened a food truck when things were good lol

4 Likes

I used to butcher, when I was breaking my front quarters down I would stop when I took the flat irons… shave as thin as possible sprinkle with salt and enjoy… it would just melt.

3 Likes

Damn! I just found this thread! The only other forum I go on, ( besides other weed forums lol), is a barbecue cookery forum. My two passions are weed cultivation, and smoking barbecue, and now I only have to come to OG for both! Friggin awesome. I’ll post recipes and pics as soon as I do another smoke out!

9 Likes

I’ve had so many say I was weird for eating raw meats. Nice to know lots of people who actually appreciate good cuts willingly eat them raw as well.

3 Likes

That’s why I make brats, italian, bangers and breakfast sausage. I’ve tried the dried beef, pastrami, bacon and corned beef things, but I really don’t have the patience to do cured meats. Mostly fresh sausage, loose or stuffed. Can’t really buy a proper banger, everyone wants to sub brats, and they are different.

1 Like

Filipino chicken sausage I love these there’s a lot of sugar in them,I make these for me and the wife,I have a lot of sausage recipes

14 Likes

Very nice mite have to try this one

1 Like

Those look good what is the recipe and how would you serve them, plain or sauced?

2 Likes

The sausage,you can do what ever you want with them ,my wife likes them with fried eggs and steamed rice,I just eat them the way they are

1 Like

Somebody mentioned smoking? If you have a smoker or a barbeque that you can smoke in, this is a killer recipe and well worth the effort.

Atomic Buffalo Turds

12 fresh jalapeno peppers
12 slices of bacon
24 little smokies or other small pre-cooked sausages
1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Sweet barbecue rub (combine chili powder, brown sugar, paprika etc)
A watery barbeque sauce (I cut a chipotle sauce with water)

Decapitate the jalapenos, cut them in half lengthwise & remove seeds & veins.
Combine cheese, paprika & cayenne. Mix well. Fill the pepper halves with the mixture.

Note: The cayenne is the source of the heat in this recipe, so you can adjust it up or down. The mix above produces a ‘healthy medium’ cayenne-style zip.

Place a smokie on the cheese & wrap the creation with bacon & insert a single toothpick.
Sprinkle with the sweet barbeque rub. I use a Memphis rub.

Smoke them for 1 ½ hours @ 250. Re-position on occasion to cook them as desired.
When finished, lightly drizzle with the warmed watery barbeque sauce & serve warm.

Yield: Always make at least 50% more than you think you need!

This is a before the smoke picture . . .

9 Likes

Oh man…I love longanisa but had to stop eating them due to sugar content. I would destroy that plate there…looks great.

3 Likes

I know don’t make them a lot lol,but their great sausages for treat

1 Like