Chefs and Foodies - Post Your Favorite Recipes (bonus points for pics)

Not just cuts, local produce is a thing and if the locals don’t eat it the grocery store doesn’t stock it… (why would they) meanwhile acre peas and green boiled peanuts are canned items here …if you can find them.

I have a family recipe to contribute later…when I have some pics. Simple cheap fair though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Enlightened420 I used my rotisserie smoker for that meat feast. I do parties and events with her. Just standing next to it will make you hungry. Lol

2 Likes

I bet, just looking at it makes me drool a little bit :laughing:

2 Likes

Have any of you been trying any of these recipes? Maybe some of them are too “involved” or time consuming for you, or maybe none are to your taste. So here’s super easy and delicious suggestion…

Years ago, some friends and I went to Jamaica for 10 days. We didn’t stay in a resort because we wanted to really experience Jamaica, so we stayed in a couple of local hotels in Ocho Rios. We ate at local restaurants, bars, food carts and homes that locals took us to where the owners cooked and sold truly homemade Jamaican food. EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS! But, like many people, we fell in love with the jerk chicken.

When we got back home to Chicago (we all lived in the city), we searched high and low (mostly high :sunglasses:) for comparable jerk chicken, but it was nowhere to be found. Then one night after going to a local Rasta bar, we found a food cart vendor outside that bar who had the closest thing to what we had in Jamaica. This guy was from Jamaica, so he knew how to do it right. He even had the pimento wood burning in his grill.

So after moving away from Chicago, I continued my search for authentic tasting jerk chicken everywhere I lived. I was never satisfied by what I was served at any restaurant, so I decided to try different things at home. THIS is where my search ended, because I found the closest thing to genuine Jamaican jerk seasoning since my time in Chicago and Ocho Rios:

This Walkerswood stuff is awesome! Put it on chicken, pork, burgers and grill them out or cook them in the oven. If you put it on a day ahead and let it really penetrate the meat, it’s even better. I also use it to make a jerk chicken gumbo or stew. I add it to chicken breast strips, wings and drumsticks to replace the Buffalo style sauce.

So if you love jerk and have not yet discovered this stuff, do yourself a favor and get a jar. I buy it in the 9.5 pound tubs like you see in that link above, but you can find it in smaller jars too.

9 Likes

I just purchased a couple of jars of the jerk and scotch bonnet hot sauce. Looking forward to trying these out!

2 Likes

I’ve only had that Walkerswood jerk sauce exactly like what I posted. I know it’s made with Scotch Bonnet peppers, but if you bought something different, I’d love to hear about it. Post a pic of the container if you can!

2 Likes

I should clarify, I got the mild and hot Walkerswood in 10 oz. jars and the Spur Tree Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce. I love trying new pepper sauces.

2 Likes

Cedar crunch sandwich. Get two pieces of sourdough round loaf bread, crunch lays potatoe chips on plate. Crack eggs and roll the bread in it then press bread in chips. Cook like you would French toast, except when both sides are done add mayo turkey bacon ham and provolone, cover with pan and spill some water in the pan to melt the cheese,… cut in half and enjoy. I’ll post a pic of it soon. It’s effing dank!

3 Likes

here is the sammich

8 Likes

Is that onion crusted on the top with the cheese?

1 Like

No, the one side is French toast crusted with lays potatoe chips fried, :yum: gotta use round loaf sourdough though,…

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s awesome follow the cooking instructions and we’ll the pic speaks for itself lol

2 Likes

Pork chili

Recipe:
3# pork loin (cubed nite size)
1 1/2 large onion (medium chop)
6 cloves garlic (fine chop)
2 poblano peppers (roast fresh peppers to remove skin, deseed and chop)
3 jalapeño peppers (roast, deseed and chop)
1 package dried gaujillo peppers (remove stem and as many seeds as you can, pour two cups boiling water over and steep for 20 minutes)
2 cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can diced tomatoes w/juice
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in pot and add pork, to brown, in batches, salt and pepper pork. Remove pork and add onions to pot, cook for 3-4 minutes then add the garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add pork to onion/garlic mixture, then add the diced tomatoes, stir to incorporate. Add chili and cumin powder to mixture, stir. Strain liquid from the guajillo peppers and reserve. Remove seeds from guajillo peppers and put the peppers, along with reserved liquid, in a blender or use an immersion blender. Blend until a smooth sauce is formed. Pour guajillo sauce in the mixture and stir. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add beans to chili, simmer for another 15 minutes. Season to taste. Enjoy as is or over rice. The chili is even better the second day!

6 Likes

Looks and sounds great! But I gotta ask - where does the “cedar” part of the name come from? :thinking:

Looks yummy, @Tejas! Also, if you’re going for the shortest recipe, yours is going to be hard to beat!

1 Like

I can certainly post the recipe if I missed that part. Let me get it together :grimacing:.

1 Like

It was the name of the sandwich from a certain restaurant in a small town… I made the food.

1 Like

Look what showed up on my doorstep today. Can’t wait to try them out!

7 Likes

I look forward to hearing about the scotch bonnet sauce. The peppers are so hot you really can’t eat them but maybe in reduced quantity as flavoring they might be good!

3 Likes

If you like spicy, I know you’re gonna love the “Hot & Spicy” jerk seasoning. I’ve never had the mild, so I’d be curious to hear how they compare. I’ve also never had the Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce, but considering you ordered 3 of them, I’m guessing you already know that you like it - or you’re just very brave! I bet it would be good if you mixed it with butter and coated your wings with it. Mmmm… :drooling_face:

5 Likes