Chemical, or Organic. What's really the best?

@Foreigner https://www.milorganite.com/

Like this?

3 Likes

I grew up an hour from Milwaukee and thats the same treatment they did in my hometown. Iā€™ve been trying to remember what it was called for years! Thanks!

1 Like

I donā€™t advocate using your own shit but I found this fascinating:

2 Likes

I landed on chemical 3 part in RDWC with all organic supplements/heisenberg tea. As long as you do a legit flush and harvest on time, I donā€™t see any difference in quality. The only difference is in vitality and yield. I have yet to find an organic macro nutrient that can touch good ole green, red, and brown GH. Always open to suggestions, though.

1 Like

Milorganite smells like ASS (literally) when itā€™s wet, but show me softer, greener, lusher grass. My bermuda grass loved it, and itā€™s seemingly impossible to overuse.

4 Likes

@JoeCrowe are you growing outside. If your bud doesnā€™t burn properly, itā€™s more than likely because you are harvesting in the daylight. Try harvesting before the sun comes up when all of the microbes and nutrients are in the roots

3 Likes

Well then your tomatoes taste as good as the ones from dirt? Not saying they canā€™t be since the ones we get are picked too green. I only know what I pick from the garden is far better than any I get from the store or a farmers market for that matter.

Hydro and coir equivalent here? or we talking no media and baskets? Technically coir is not hydro but I think it a good mix of ease and makes use of standard potsā€¦while hempy buckets seems a real nice mix of some of the same principles. With coir there are mixtures such as Tupur that have perlite and basalt added that seems quite good in my experience

But I am not a professional grower. I would expect that there are some professional growers who are all organic. In fact we might even just go ask Danny Danko? IIRC they have highlighted at least one boutique grower in Calif

3 Likes

I would say itā€™s more likely it wasnā€™t dried properly, or enough. I understand the idea of harvesting after a dark cycle, but I never do.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable though, so I canā€™t say for sure. Just my thoughts.

4 Likes

That is something I like to do. Harvest at the end of their dark cycle when the plants have used up all the starches they stored to feed on while the lights are out. I know many who donā€™t and canā€™t say if it is better since itā€™s all I have ever done but it works for me.

7 Likes

I actually read an article about it. It really is a thing. The bud will have more flavor and burn properly of course if itā€™s carried through with a proper cure. I couldnā€™t find the article again when I talked about this before, but I remember @ReikoX had posted a quote from Jeff Lowenthals book Teaming with Microbes that talk about it. So carry on with dark harvests, your bud is the better for it.

8 Likes

Drying and curing is definitely an art. I agree that is probably a main factor as well

6 Likes

I prefer organic and kelp, lots of kelp, and lots of molasses. I like to flush with tea, regular black or green tea. I think it cures better, with a better aroma and flavor. Finally, organic is not as harsh a smoke, and when you clear a bowel, the ash is very fine because there is no non-organic potassium or phosphorus still lurking in the plant unflushed. Marc Emory did an article before 2000 about the fact that the tobacco industry also used heavy P and K frets at end of tobacco life cycle without flushing, and considered it a primary cause for cancer and other diseases. I just think it tastes better and smokes better w I th far less paranoia. Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

Iā€™ve always wondered when smoking indo if itā€™s very good for you when smoking something grown with chemicals. That black ball of ash that remains is always concerning.

4 Likes

I always wondered about that. I grow indoors in coco and have no issues with poor burning or black ash. I use a simple blend of the GH trio with CaliMagic and Epsom salt. Never get that black ash people talk about. I know it happens but I do wonder what causes it?

4 Likes

I wonder if itā€™s certain nute lines or just really heavy feeding? It doesnt happen in my organic grows, but every bud I have smoked from a dispensary has had it.

3 Likes

I still havenā€™t tried the dark harvest. I also sort of read about keeping the plant in darkness for a couple days first.

Iā€™m not sure what the reasons are but maybe itā€™s the same process as what youā€™re saying but just a more is better thing??

I believe @Papalag does this. I always wondered about it and then it seems like I came across an article or it was on another forum from someone I respected as expert, I donā€™t know. I should look it up I guess.

I have one plant that needs to come down and I was thinking about trying it. At least the harvest before lights on.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe the whole extended dark period personally. The plants get on a schedule. They photosensitize in the light and store starches as food for dark as they transpire. Now they do transpire in the light as well but keep creating said starches. Since they are on a schedule they tend to store what they need so it is pretty much used up by the time lights go on. Extending the dark seems irrelevant. That said I just smoked a huge joint and took a couple shots of whiskey so I may not be the guy to listen to :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Are you saying all buds youā€™ve bought from a dispensary burned like shit and was black ash?

Iā€™ve had some shitty dispo weed, but also some amazing shit. It depends where you go here. But none ever burned to a black ash. Even the toxic tasting shit that I knew had to be sprayed with some bullshit.

1 Like

No, it didnā€™t burn like shit, it just all burns down into a black ash ball not light gray dust like my organically grown weed. Iā€™ve had bomb dispo weed and bomb indo as well. I actually crave indoor weed once in awhile. Itā€™s very different from the outdoor weed I grow.

3 Likes

Is the indoor denser?

I wouldnā€™t know if the weed Iā€™m smoking turns black anyways though since I use a vape and it all just turns to a dark green or light brown.

But if I donā€™t dry a nug enough before I vape it will get darker and can kinda get a little blackish. The wetter shit also will clog up the screen quick.

I should bust out the bong, but the vape makes my lungs happier.

Hereā€™s what the ABV bud looks like. You can use it for edibles still or whatever. Iā€™ve made butter with it before. Not bad, but it does have a little stronger weed flavor than unvaped stuff. It also is a heavier and more sleepy high than the original weed. Iā€™ve just been tossing it though lately.

I have this box by my vape so I just dump the vaped shit in it. Itā€™s time to empty this thing again. ~a#.

9 Likes