Choosing number of plants and right pot size

Hi guys, I don’t find anywhere where it says how many plants I can put in sq meter and what size of pots I should use for best results? I have 3x3meters grow tent, and strain is amnesia.

4 Likes

Thanks for great question! We should try to get all arguments down and insert resume into GrowFAQ.

When deciding number of plants per square meter there is no strict rule. It depends on growing style. You can go from Sea of Green in 4" rockwool cubes to single plant per square meter (middle bush). It depends if you have the time to vegetate them enough to fill the canopy.

I prefer square pots rather than round ones, because they can use the available space better.

There are also legal factors that limit plant numbers but most of the time it is just about the comfort of the grower.

Definitely pot size is different in soil where plant can get root-bound and in hydroponics where pot can be much smaller. Also see FAQ about choosing right pot size.

7 Likes

in some places plant count by law is what determines some growers plants. Imagine that this is not a issue, the next main factor is clones or seed. Can you get as many as you want? Do you have moms? Are you in a hurry, Or can you veg? Do you have a preference of bud type? Small buds or colas? Also like Joe said, your medium also plays a role. All of these are questions that need answered to determine the most appropriate answer.

5 Likes

I’m going to use soil, I have about two meters room height, and I have a time for veg . so I want to know, its is better to fit 50 plants in 11liter pots in the room, or fit as example 30 plants in bigger pots?

2 Likes

Going to use clones and I think I can get as many I want

2 Likes

That is a valid question. All strains perform differently, all react differently to topping. Some have tendency to grow single main cola, others branch well into sides.

If you haven’t tried this strain yet (and even two phenos from same strain can be diverse) I think you can only guess. Just try it one round (your goal is to fill your canopy horizontally) and adjust your grow for next batch. There is nothing you can screw. It more depends on exact timing of 12/12 switch and if you are beginner that is also kind of guess-work. Generally I expect plants to stretch additional 1/3 to 1/2 of plant height.

If you can get as many clones as you want, you can use it to your advantage and short your vegging period.

To add to your original question also height of your cabinet can play a role (higher number of short plants vs. one tall plant).

6 Likes

this is a difficult question - this is where the experience of gardening for years comes into play! The size of the plants varies wildly depending on the medium and growing methods. Some people shoe-horn a dozen plants into a 3X3 in a “sea of green”. some people will have one massive plant under a trellis or screen in a 3X3.

I like to veg 'em up a little larger and do “bush style” growing in organic soil. I can’t fit more than 3 females into a 3 x 3 because they’re in 4-5 gallon containers and become really big.

7 Likes

You are talking about 3x3 feet? With which method can bring biggest yield?

If I had to guess, probably hydro sea of green, run a bunch of small clones in 1-gallon pots of coco or another hydro medium.

But bush-style organic soil yields really well too, it’s easier and the quality of the flowers will be way better

1 Like

So if I choose bush-style, in your opinion how much I need to put of pots in a square meter?and what size of pots?

I would try 4 pots of 3-5 gallon size.

2 Likes

Thank you for an advice :)) and how much u veging plants in these containers?

my plants seem to go crazy when they get into the big pot so I don’t do the final transplant until the start of flowering. I sex them and veg them in 1-2 gallon size pots, then move to 3-5 gallon for flowering.

3 Likes

9’x9’ you should be able to fit 16 in 3-5gal pots
I think that’s like 7liters - 9liters roughly. Could be a little tight as amensia likes to stretch but depends how small you flower and train/cut them…
Def want em to have some breathing room.

How much light you using? 2 1000w’s?

2 Likes

I would maybe even go for 9-12 plants in a 3meter x 3meter just to be safe. Leaning towards the lower end bc of how Amnesia grows.

I’m assuming this is the D cut of Amnesia Haze?

1 Like

3-5gal is like 11-19 litres :slight_smile: in my space the plant can grow up about 2 meters measuring with the pot :slight_smile: yea its amnesia haze

1-2 gallons is not for small to veg all the time? So I can’t take them directly from plastic cups where they been cloning into? How long do you veg your plants?

1 Like

For lights I’m going use LEDs,

Really depends on the strain… how much space I have… how quickly I want to harvest etc

You can start a clone flowering just about immediately once you have em in the pot you want th to finish in (I avoid transplanting and all added stressors once the plants in flower).

But you can go right from the clone cup to 11-20 liters or whatever lol. I would give them a week or two to acclimate in their new pot but then flower straight away.

But like I said the Amnesia will stretch. 1.5-2x it’s size. Maybe even more if it’s just a small clone and put into a new big pot. But generally I veg from seed at least a month so they get mature. And by 30days, I generally don’t count the first 10 days of life as it’s not real veg, it’s just a baby. But to get a good yield, from clone I would put them into their final pot… let them veg 2-3weeks then flower. But it really depends on if I’m running more plants in smaller pots (3-5 gal) or larger pots (10-25gal). Would veg more for the latter.

1 Like

are we talking 3 X 3 meters or 3 by 3 feet? 3 X 3 meters is 9 nine square meters. I was saying 4 plants for 1 square meter.

1 Like