CMH + Strips Coco Cavern

D12

My first and only Wedding Cake is getting hotter feed now. It’s a lighter green and started showing ca / mag defs. Doh.

16 Likes

Looks like a pretty good ratio! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but if you want to mess with it, you could probably tweak down your Ca and P.

These are a few “rules of thumb ratios” for me (coco only!):

Always:
Ca should be 1/2 to 2/3rds of K ppms
Mg should be 1/2 of Ca ppms
P should be 1/2 or less of Ca ppms

Veg:
Up to equal ppms N and K

Flower:
N can be as low as 1/2 K ppms

7 Likes

That helps for sure. I’ll do some studying on the numbers.
I’ve broken the wheels off a couple times. lol
Still working on a solid feed program. I just started a little different mix, lower N, and a touch higher P/K.
Even though I buffer my coco, I still get defs if I don’t have it cranked up more than typical. CMH/cob leds.
But…Too much CA and I can lockout K and other?

I’m cowboyin’ around with the magphos to get the P to K ratio up. :cactus:

5 Likes

Yeah exactly. Ca, Mg and K have to stay in a delicate balance because they are antagonists toward each other.

The hard part of coco is keeping this balance, while the medium is stealing your Ca and Mg and releasing K. Coco usually has a lot of K in it already but it prefers the 2+ ions. So it takes 1 Ca or Mg and then releases two K. This is why coco recipes have more calmag than hydro for instance. It’s not really an inert medium. Close, but hydro recipes aren’t perfect for it.

8 Likes

Mashed around on the ratios. This might be mo betta for the long haul.

3 Likes

Wedding cake is a picky bitch. I’ve only ran her once. I was experimenting with higher ph in coco and she did not like it.
Edit: I have a friend who’s dialed her in well in coco. I copied all his ppms per gallon. I’ll try to dig it out and I’ll post the numbers soon.
Excess P causes unwanted stretch. The number you have for P is good. I wouldn’t cross 50 ppm imo

4 Likes

Ok here’s what he fed starting from day 14 until flush (day 60 ish). He was running veg plus bloom with RO water.
Here’s the numbers.

You might not need that much mag if you’re using cmh tho. He runs the cake in coco under hlg v2 rspecs. He didn’t have any deficiencies with this feeding schedule. I wrote it down because I wanted another crack at the wedding cake but I have my hands full with strains so I kept the numbers in case I ran her again. He also suggested staying at 5.8 ph. Everyone’s grow room is different and that will have an impact on how they eat but maybe this will help you. Your numbers are not that far off from this.

7 Likes

Much appreciated @lefthandseeds @grief
I’ll work up a mix based on your input so I can transition to it pronto.
Today is the start of week 3 - Day 15.
Feeding 3x or 4x a day.

First feeding after lights on???
Currently the first feeding is an hour after lights on.
Is that a good practice, or should I do first feeding sooner/later?
Thanks!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Coco chit chat. Talks perlite @ 17:30

4 Likes

D16 - finally have net installed on 4x4.

Cobbling a net for expansion

21 Likes

Nice full screen and an even canopy! :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Thank you, @ReikoX

Ended up with 9 in the 3x3 tray. Original plan was to attempt my first SOG. I strive to grow top quality.

Here’s Day 18 from flip.

Keeping temps around 80f lights on, 74f lights off. Humidity 50/40%.
Co2 800ppm.
Feeding 4x daily, 850/1.7ec, 77f.

Thankfully, most stretching seems to be a done deal, including the wedding cake.

9x Darlins Net Dansbuds

The tallest is the lone cake…

17 Likes

My scrog net simply rests on these Harbor freight oversized nipple clamps.

17 Likes

I was gonna ask how you held your screen up haha. That’s really smart, they hold several pounds each so why not? Beautiful canopy there!

1 Like

Woof !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks, I try to keep it simple.

Cobbled together this 18x44 net for my expanded area.

10 Likes

Nice to see that those clamps have other uses… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: great idea.

Have you noticed that growing improves your “rigging” skills?

No, seriously - - rigging. Like hanging lights and figuring out creative ways to do things…

5 Likes

Just know…My orig Darlins clone is from Mich!

3 Likes

For sure. Being retired only compounds my desire to cobble and rig.
Started in the 70s with frickin balsa sticks.

Built the structure in 74.
Covered it with monokote early 90s.

17 Likes