Co-op Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups

16 weeks of flower time (seeds) or whole grow?

thanks

Dequilo

4 Likes

I think itā€™s good to have as many options as possible and itā€™s all up to individual preference and ability.
Iā€™m not participating in the freaks collective because i donā€™t have 16 weeks to dedicate to preservation seeds nor do I have the desire or patients to read threw all the requirements lol
If somebody wants to do that vs a norm co-op / preservation run thatā€™s there choice.
If somebody wants to do a run on there own terms then thatā€™s always a option.
No reason for anybody to overthink what anybody else is doing when you are given options. Nobody ever said the freaks was the only way itā€™s just another way. The more people talking and working on preservation the better regardless of there capacity

22 Likes

I have to agree with this 100%. Right after medical passed here, I got pretty bummed by the inevitable invasion of vampire squid. OG turned that around for me, and the Co-Ops were a big art of it. All I have to do is put my name down, and pay a little shipping to get free seeds?

It was the opposite of what Iā€™d been seeing, and the more I hung around, the more I liked it, especially the Co-Ops. Thatā€™s why when this first started I insisted that the FBSC needed to support the Co-Ops, and the Server fund. There were several of the Freaks that donā€™t like the Co-Ops, and took exception to that, but the bottom line was that the FBSC supports OG, and that means donating seeds to the Co-Ops, and the Server Fund. You donā€™t have to take my word for it, others were involved with those discussions too.

I simply do not understand the hostility.
:guitar:

16 Likes

My thoughts.
I one day found some pretty cool Landrace Lines on the Freakers Co Ops. The Person who offered them to Freakers told they are offered cause Seeds not in use.

Then i realized, well those Seeds are therefore like Reservatedā€¦

That means nothing bad on its own, but i thought, it would be cool if People could offer Seeds to Freakers but still hold free to take em back if they found other People to do Preservation their own way.

For shure thats Freakers right , so no complain, just that it might consume quiet a bit of Landrace Strains, that can only be had if one likes the Freakers Requirements. What if someone decides to take a Seedoffer back again, is that unethically?

Cause now there are a lot Strains offered to Freakers, but only a Tiny Fraction actually Runned.
Its probably to early to say if that stays that way, or if Stuff gets grown more frequently one day.

4 Likes

When it comes down to it, the co-op is a system to make it easy for any of us to donate seeds to a very large number of people. That will always be useful to the community.

We have the infrastructure to do some pretty complex stuff.

9 Likes

You know there are Thaistickx Burma, Hoabac, and Phillipine reserved for Freakers Ball. Stuff thats pretty realdeal.
Funnyerwise it often takes a while till someone reproduces such Lines.
Southamericans always sell faster, but SE Asians, only a handfull of People grow them.

5 Likes

No whey! Itā€™s up to individuals to keep it going. If it ever dies itā€™s because nobody cared enough to nurture it.

Every couple months someone gets the impression that these are run by some corporation, with funding and backers. Itā€™s not. If YOU enjoy the existence of the giveaways, itā€™s up to you to help make sure it continues.

Nobody should ever be looking to other people to keep this project afloat. Donā€™t ask what your alma mater can do for you, but what you canā€¦ so on and so forth.

12 Likes

Exactly, the co-op is completely decentralized, it doesnā€™t rely on any one member. Itā€™s just a framework of rules with volunteers. Some chose to take more responsibility than others, but if a member quit, we could always get new volunteers and distribute the workload among many. Like we did when MOTR vanished.

If it ever dies itā€™s because nobody cared enough to nurture it.

Exactly. If all the original members disappeared one day and no one else stepped up to keep it going,
then thatā€™s on yall.

9 Likes

FSBC is a mechanism to secure and spread at-risk Landrace and Heirloom strains. The Co-Op runs are a mechanism to replicate and spread strains that OGers have found to be :fire:.

These bridges run parallel to each other, not in opposition. As @Upstate pointed out, most Co-Op runs wouldnā€™t qualify for the FBSC runs.

There is no reason the Co-Op runs will end unless people lose interest; which is unlikely.

Kev :seedling:

12 Likes

Overgrow itself fits the metaphor, too. Itā€™s a project bigger than any of the original members, and lemonade joe stepped up when it was needed. Theoretically, long after weā€™re all dead our grandchildren could have this site still running

8 Likes

The way I see it is that there should be a symbiotic relationship between the FSBC and co-op runs. Instead of bulk seeds to few why not disperse to many.
I think the FSBC is a very worthy cause to be applauded but spreading those genetics in bulk to only certain members would raise a few eyebrows.
However I do not know of the dispersal system in place and could be out of line in this thought process but being on the outside looking in is where most here are at.
I am not questioning the intent of members of the FSBC but trying to enlighten how others may perceive the intent.
I would have joined myself as I have grown landraces but I have many projects going and could not satisfy the criteria to be a member. I am sure there are many here in that situation that could also help in this endeavor.

This is a very worthy cause and my hats off to all involved.

10 Likes

I see what ya mean @Heritagefarms .
16 weeks is donating just about my whole season to do my thing.
I got 32 weeks total for 5-6 different strain runs.
I like smoking beanless buds for some strange reason.
Itā€™s only me and the Mrs but I got plans for that weight, I could see one run a year but.
I wasnā€™t invited so my input will leave nothing.
Have a solemn evening.

9 Likes

I agree I would like to do at least one preservation run a year but I also need to produce seed for my own projects and headstash to keep the mind right. When I do
co-op or preservation runs Iā€™ll make sure everybody knows but it will be a when and if situation.
I did a preservation run with some bodhi gear and didnā€™t get anywhere near the amount of beans expected due to a weak male but enough that some went out to all who sighned up.
I did a co -op run with somas lavender that was very successful and those beans are still working there way threw the community
I donated beans for a preservation run but they were all lost in the motr missing in action situation.
Iā€™ll be running some paki chitral kush in the near future for a preservation run intended to go out to the community but when and how many get created is something yet to be seen.
Iā€™d really like hoac silver back due to the fact that I almost bought it but Charles told me the person who had it was a lier , only to finally years later tell me they actually had the lines and he was just butthurt. He really didnā€™t want me having that and it makes me want it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I pitched in $wise for the dalat run before the freakers weā€™re set up so I would expect myself and anybody else who did but has not become a freak would still be getting there portion of the final beans.
@Guitarzan really happy the dalat project has been saved ,thatā€™s another strain Iā€™ve been on a long hunt for.

10 Likes

Of those, and the freebies we got with that first order. The way I see the freebies belong to everyone too. I certainly never wouldā€™ve bought those seeds on my own.

Man, I have some Hoabac Silverleaf x Vietnamese Black, and a Hoabac x Full Moon. :slight_smile:

I am too man, definitely, but that was all @Pheno_fiend. If he hadnā€™t stepped up the way he did, all weā€™d have is pollen. Pure OG man. :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

7 Likes

Iā€™m really only interested in the dalat and Viet black if available so please exclude me from the freebies portion, I have far to many lines to work with atm and am sticking to collecting and preserving landraces and the occasional old heirloom
Awesome to see so many people interested in preservation and co-op efforts , should be alot of good lines secured between everybody on og.

9 Likes

You have some good seeds brother! I would be proud to grow some outside

4 Likes

I completely agree with you, anything that may divide or confront the community should be avoided. That preservation effort is the base of the CO-OP seed runs, spreading quality genetics all over the world and community as one of his goals.

Those landraces and unique strains could be grown under that umbrella, which means using the coverage and distribution already built and working. Logistics and costs are important, who is going to spend 300 $ do distribute those seeds to the rest of the freak members? I recently saw someone giving his seeds to a third party for not having enough money to send them to the distributors. I remember being criticized for wanting everything to be centralized and then redistributed, it is just a question of optimizing resources and lowering costs ā€¦

Using Sebring as a distributor exponentially increases his work, including those seeds in the Spring or Fall box is much less hassle for him, and those 2 $ per strain are a good income for server costs and would be lost with the other distribution ā€¦

Asking potential CO-OP growers to join the FSBC is like wanting to privatize something that is public (electricity in TX?), if they get more rewards and privileges in the FSBC, why would they like to do a public seed run?

Please consider I completely support the idea of preserving and distributing rare strains and landraces, itā€™s a great asset, just the way to do it is where I have my doubts, with all my respect to the people that are behind it ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

18 Likes

Very well written and great points. I see great benefits in doing it in the model in place as you mentioned. The problem I see is how we encourage people to choose these 200 plus landraces to grow for the community vs other strains and running them as a whole pack with no selection for proper preservation.

Especially with some of the negatives that come from these land races such as some very long flowering times or other issues that are not typical in modern worked strains.

10 Likes

I have seen several runs of strains on here that were distributed to a small group of people that pitched for the beans, which is how this started. No one is on those runs telling them they ought to distribute to anyone who signs up. No one is barking at them for doing a private run instead of making it a co op run. Some of the beans were being sold from at least one of those runs and no one is blinking an eye (No judgement as I donā€™t care anyway). Seeds from all the runs that are being done by the FBSC will be available for free in some form or fashion, provided that there are enough to share. On top of that any seeds distributed to members will undoubtedly make it to the table for trades. Server auctions are in the plans too.

11 Likes

Why does anyone think they have a say in what a group of people do with their beans. Who cares if its a private group thing. Apparently no one has read the guidelines either. As tl2 and tl3 members can grow packs from the FBSC. Seems quite communistic to me!

8 Likes