Co-op Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups

Update-

Angus says that he is ok with us donating and sharing seeds made from his genetics. Sounds like a general policy. Communication was a little difficult, but he was totally chill with seed sharing.

The lebanese co-op run is official.
next step, shucking.

27 Likes

When you get a sighn up list feel free to add me to it if I donā€™t see it right away , I grew some Lebanese autos flowers and really liked the profile would be nice to have in regular phot form.:relieved:

8 Likes

I just wanted to remind everyone that one of our original goals for the co-op was redistribution every 3 years. The idea was that people who signed up would in turn make fgen preservations and donate them back to the co-op to be distributed even wider and to provide fresh seed stock.

I just wanted to encourage everybody to keep this in mind. A lot of the co-op breeders and seed pack donators are busy continuing to work on new projects for the community. We are really relying on people who sign up for these to preserve them again and donate seeds back.

If anyone has already made fgens with co-op stock, please consider donating some back to the co-op. pass on the good vibes.

We have been preserving and sharing seeds for 2 full years now, so it seems like a good time to revisit this goal and make some plans to refresh some of the earlier co-op projects.

26 Likes

With the cool kids becoming freaks in a closed freak circle I think the concept of open co-op seed runs will die sooner or later.

6 Likes

I donā€™t believe that for a second. Iā€™m a freak and I plan on doing both Iā€™m doing specific landraces for freaks and other discontinued strains for the coops. I also know of other freaks who are doing that.

Also there is only about 20ish freaks at the moment. Yet over 150 people sign up on the coop lists. I would hope more than just us 20 would be doing coops

Edit - maybe Iā€™m incorrect in assuming this. But I sure would hope Iā€™m not. As I feel this is the true point of OG. If side groups do get in the way then I feel that deffinetly could be a problem. I see side groups as a person excepting more responsibility to do more. Not as a trade off.

11 Likes

Getting some room in my garage away from the rest of the girls to build another breeding room. Maybe soon I can be a freak too!!! :smirk:

6 Likes

My only reluctance to fully freakin is due to my lack of spaceā€¦9 square feet between 2 tents. Will apply to be a freak after expandingā€¦!

7 Likes

Itā€™s not closed by any stretch, anyone who wants to can join the ā€œfreak circleā€. They just have to agree to the guidelines. Besides, the Freaks arenā€™t gonna be doing any Mint Ice Cream Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake runs. There are plenty of those strains around, and people want them.

As for the Freaks, the plan has been from the very beginning to give away seeds to OG. On every run, after all the Freaks get a pack, all extra seeds will go to @Sebring to be distributed to OG members through his site. We could do a sign-up sheet if itā€™d make you feel better. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

19 Likes

No, they canā€™t, unless they can meet the requirements. Completely different thing than the seed runs where you just sign up. So compared to that, itā€™s a closed circle.

I have not seen anything like that in the co-op seed runs ever. Must have missed it. Or itā€™s not what the runs have been about. :thinking:

Thatā€™s nice, but again a completely different story than co-op seed runs. And I think those will die. Thatā€™s all I said.

6 Likes

Except for Snowhigh strains. The Freaks are dealing with only heirloons and landraces. That leaves plenty of co op material. I myself would be sad if the co op runs stopped. That wasnā€™t the intension of the Freaks starting. One of the hardest parts about growing landraces has been finding them. I always wanted to put them all in one place, so everyone could find them easier. Weā€™ve just opened a door for people that dont have time or money to track these varieties down. If anything, itā€™s our hope that this gets more people involved with preservation, not less.

18 Likes

Just to be clear, Iā€™m not saying the Freaks are a bad thing or have bad intentions. I also said on the Freaks thread I like the idea. If I had the option to run 10 plants Iā€™d like to contribute myself. Itā€™s just not possible in the near future.

Still I think itā€™s likely the co-op will be less attractive. I think Iā€™ve already seen somebody with co-op intentions being asked to join the freaks instead on some thread.

6 Likes

@allotment You should start a coop seed run your self shortly to show the website their not dead and then it will encourage others to do the same.

Have you done a seed run before? Im preparing my blue velvet at the moment for one. And am doing afghan kush for the freaks at the same time.

4 Likes

I am slowly working my way up. Made my first few F3 seeds of a coop strain. Will do some citrus auto crosses next. But every run is also for bud. I can only do micro grows. I donā€™t think have the space (and the laws) to provide 150 people with seeds as the co-op requires. But weā€™ll see, Iā€™m trying to up my skills a bit with every grow.

8 Likes

I grew 3 18" plants and flowered them out. hit them all with pollen from 1 male, I flowered in a separate tent, at week 3 and week 4. I pulled 1000 mature seeds from each plant. Iā€™m not sure if the worst part was shucking the seeds or packaging them up :rofl:

So IME, two females and a male should cover 150 people if theyā€™re good seed makers and you get em a couple feet tall before flowerā€¦ Was my first time making seeds or I wouldā€™ve done it as a co-op myself. I still only gave out seeds here to anyone that asked, free of any charges, and sent the rest to Sebring.

I have a space/plant limit issue as well so Iā€™d much rather do selections rather than open pollinations. Bud runs are a thing for me too so that also cuts into my seed making. Can really only do it once or twice a year if everything else is perfect.

So my plan is do to a co-op for the Purple NL#2(NL#2 x Purple Unicorn) since those were limited release from Bodhi, here in a couple months, when I finish the bud run from them.

21 Likes

Yay more confusion and people wanting to be in charge is all I see.

What a sad time. There was no reason to deviate from the coop run format other than someone wanting to be in control.

Why cant people just ever let good things be as is?

12 Likes

I donā€™t mean to come across as an asshole, but I have to disagree with you on this. Weā€™re talking about two different things here. Youā€™re talking about getting seeds, Iā€™m talking about making seeds. To YOU itā€™s just signing up, but seeds donā€™t magically appear, and so someone is making a far more significant contribution to the success of that effort.

The whole point of the FBSC is to preserve the strains we have, thatā€™s why only growers can be Freaks. It costs something to be a Freak. All of our full members are required to do commit a minimum of 16+ weeks each year to full open pollination seed runs, affiliates are required to commit 8+ weeks per year. All of those runs are paid for out of the growers pocket.

Like @Upstate said, most of what we have are landraces and heirlooms. We accept hybrids, but they have to have at least one landrace/heirloom in P1. All of our Snowhigh stuff meets that criteria. Take Bodhi for instance. Except for Supernatural, and Nierika, I canā€™t see the FBSC running his releases, mainly because they donā€™t have landrace/heirloom genetics in the P1 generation, but also because there are already a lot people running Bodhi strains through the Co-Ops.

@Chronickyle is working on a group to do runs on packs of less than 10 seeds. That might be something that would work for you @allotment. Hit him up about it.

There are hundreds of strains out there, more than enough to support both the FBSC and the Co-Ops. It just doesnā€™t make any sense to me that someone would choose NOT to do a seed run simply because the FBSC is doing one too. But Iā€™m a Freak, so I could be nuckinā€™ futs. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

19 Likes

As far as I know Co op seed runs are still happening with the same structure. No one has deviated from them. When someone does a run on their own and gives out seeds is that bad too? That ā€œdeviatesā€ from the structure of the co ops. Iā€™m struggling to see how more people making more seeds is a bad thing.

10 Likes

Donā€™t forget, one of the requirements to be a freak is that you have to complete a co-op run first and become an overgrower. Weā€™re making exceptions for this first year, but thatā€™s the goal in the future

7 Likes

Last year, that I can think of anyway, only 2 landraces were reproduced for the co-op. Goroka Highland, and Kashmir, both by @Worcestershire Farms. @Tommy McCain offered up a bunch of ABC seeds as well, but I canā€™t think of any other landraces that were reproduced last year. Iā€™m sure there are others that I donā€™t know of and somehow slept on, but there werenā€™t many. The freaks are looking to reproduce between 20 and 40 landraces per year. I donā€™t see how that could be a bad thing in anybodyā€™s book. If only three are done per year, just my collection alone would take 40 years to reproduce. Iā€™d be dead before Iā€™d get to try them or see them grown.
Far from trying to replace the coop runs, we are trying to supplement them. Landrace and heirloom preservation demand that more be done

21 Likes

And before I receive a ration of shit for saying that, I want to say how much I love the coop runs. They are the reason I joined overgrow. I couldnā€™t believe people were so generous with their time as to give a bunch of it up to do something for other people. It restored my faith in humanity. I plan on participating in the coop runs, as well as with The Freakerā€™s. No such thing as too much of a good thing in my opinion!

22 Likes