Co-op Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups

Thats sad so few people grew the Seeds…

Thats why i initially would think Freakers has a Idea to fix that. You can ony get if you give.

Still , there is this Question lingering, will they grow the seeds? I mean one could just doo it , not for the Sake of PReservation, but to just get a Variety of it. Like: you grow 2000 Seeds, but get 20 Seeds of Each 100 Strains.

That is shure kind of cool, has its own Advantages, but does it secure those will be grown?
Its also attractive for “Strain addicted” People… So probably these 90 Percent of rightfully percieved Strains will not be grown. Wich acts as a Preservation IF a “Seedjunkie” makes the effort to send it to the next collector one day. Could happen. Many seedjunkies, and only a hand full of Preservationists that also store the Seeds right, needs an own fridge, how many people are going to buy that?

I have no reason to be Faithless, but just a Theory.
Its a partly good idea i would say.

7 Likes

Most people don’t post grow diaries and some people don’t post pictures. When I am curious about a strain I will go to @Baltimore and do a search; he is a prolific grower.

@Meesh , @lefthandseed, @ShiskaberrySavior are folk that post alot. There are others and the information is greatly appreciated.

14 Likes

Also you can give away 2 Indica Grows, and percieve posibly 100s of longflowering Sativa Seeds… I also think that is concerning regarding the further living of these hard to grow 18 Weeker Satties in pure Form.
But yeah, probably alot more people might grown and shared what they recieved, than it looks like.

3 Likes

I love the long flowering strain, better medicine for me. I buy mostly landrace, better medicine

I grow hash plants for cbd; cbd strains were not useful :confused: wasted alot of money on cbd products. Easier to grow hash and add to espresso

6 Likes

Those hibernate plants are looking mighty fine! At some point I’ll be doing a reproduction from the seed you gave me. Looking forward to a smoke report on these.

That’s one of my thoughts as well. Another reason I thought The Freaker’s was a good idea. I figured that people that were willing to put in the time to grow a landrace to get a landrace would be more likely to actually grow them, reproduce them, and keep them from disappearing.
Our giveaways on Overgrow are limited to the people that are on Overgrow. The fact that seeds that were made here on Overgrow were given to a rather large landrace company is pretty damn cool. People that buy seeds are more likely to grow them, so that is most certainly spreading that landrace around the globe. Now people that have never heard of overgrow, or Goroka Highland for that matter, are able to pick it up . The more people that have these landrace’s the better . There are certainly many of those Goroka Highlands floating around overgrow. They won’t be disappearing from here anytime soon that’s for sure. I’ve got a pack I can spare if anybody is interested. @Worcestershire_Farms spent damn near a year reproducing the Goroka landrace, and even longer working the Kashmir. If he wanted to give some of the seeds to the landrace team, that’s okay with me, and it’s his perogative.
The only way I would be upset about somebody making money off seeds, is if they sold the seeds I had given to them personally.
I’m a carpenter, so I look at it like this. Imagine I was a member of a woodworking group. Because I liked the members of my group, I decided to make lots of them picnic tables. But I also decided to sell some of the picnic tables because well…I made them.

17 Likes

i would agree that there is a higher likelyness of people actually growing them, IF ONLY providing Landraces will gain you entry in the Freakers.

But it seems one can really just grow EASY STRIN (8 weeker Afghani , or any Hybrid) and gain 100s of Thai, Columbian , Congolese.

Shure there is a restamount of Landrace Lovers left, and those will get the Satties too.

But even this was the Case, and you can get only longfloweing for giving longflowering, is the Growlikelyness and the Preservationrate higher? Hard to say, cause , if it blows up and hundrets Strains in Circulation, shure you sign up for many many… Possibly those Satty lovers would still sit on a tonn of Seeds, and simply no time, money, or interest in negoating, when it comes to give them further incase not used.

That are just hyphothesis. There are plussides too, but when it comes to high degree preservation, it might, or might not happen. Alot might dust in Seedboxes , if all it needs to get more than you can use (as you already gave your Seeds) is placing you name under all aviable Strains.

I just say, it might well hold alive some Landraces bevor dying, but probably will not be the perfect highnumbered preservation you imagine.

So, that leaves me with the Hyphothesis, that the sheer amount might get to big, to do a good preservation, and would you instead focus on a few Killer Landraces, that might be way more efficient than 10 times the amount of halfstrong Landraces.
You could then also grow these out each, each could select and actually do an interesting kind of thing: Highnumbered Selections.

6 Likes

I recently had some of the azad gifted to me recently and was wondering about them @Worcestershire_Farms im about to pop them this fall… Anyone know the benifits it has i dont usually trust seedbank descriptions. I personnally think that landraces need to be reintroduced into modern genetics but also believe these need to be kept pure( gross that sounds like a nazi :nauseated_face:)

4 Likes

i mean imagine whats up in your minds: 100s of Lines coming to your home.

Thats cool, but imagine what you will do with em? Imagine all your future Grows.
probably you will first grow just one plant of each, find your most loved Lines first, and later preserve the choosen Lines further. but can you imagine you will grow 90 percent of the Rest? If not, will you go trough the work, to find them a new member, cause all freakers probably already have them. Probably you will, probably you wont

No keep it pure

Sick of this watered down shit

I replaced painkillers with Lebanese hash oil after triple heart bypass

Stop crossing with indica to shorten flower time or make bigger buds

Medical cannabis and prescription drugs SUCK

9 Likes

so, you get easyer access to many Lines, and also more access to getting lost in a flud of Strains. It could by itselve turn out to be a good Idea to spreading Genes, but also consume space time and fresh seedstock, and Focus on a few good lines.

2 Likes

I humbly think we are missing here a crucial point: the goal is not people growing these strains, the most important thing is people making more seeds with them. Spreading seeds around the world is great but if these people don’t breed with them they all will be lost for sure.

I know not anyone can be able to make seeds, there are many reasons for not doing so: legal issues, lack of time, space or experience, need to have your jars filled and many more …

I agree landraces need to be preserved, but also other amazing strains like the Hibernate, Orange Goji or Lucky Charms. Our Seed runs are a perfect way to preserve them, I’ve been sharing what I’ve got because once you reach a certain number of strains in your stash you know you will not be able to grow them all and you can to help someone who missed them, so many times not growing them in some way helps to preserve them …

I just hope that this FSBC project won’t suppose the end of the real Co-op seed runs spirit, I’m the first one willing to see how it develops and benefits our community … Pirata|nullxnull

13 Likes

thats what i ment with saying “growing them”. Will they be breed, will they be further worked, willt hey be reproduced.

2 Likes

Entitlement

4 Likes

I think a majority of People here have once smoked something Extraordinary.
Now theyre chaseing it.

So they might found out what it actually was.

So, they start hunting it, but its pretty hard to find it. So, then they see Freakers, and find the what they are after more or less. They decide terefore to do a Seedrun of what they have, and with it comes the possibility to get a flud of other things, not really rated…
They could easily loose years going trough some of them, just finding out that what they really want is ONE Killer Line.

Im not hundret percent shure, but most Thai can only provide a Thai Flash, the differences are minor… Or rather minor. Its more that one of all Thais has it all what all other Thai lines have.
So it wouldnt make to much sense to have 10 Thais, if you just colud have the one and only killer Thai. (i mean probably there is still a variety wich you dont wanna miss, but.)

So people could get abit lost in Seeds, IF they dont communicate wich is the only Seed you need, and weed the rest out. hahah

But im no expert in Genetics /Genetic diversity, just thats what i feel could happen: unneeded fludd of Lines, consuming many peoples Time, only so they find out, they only need one good Thai

6 Likes

Seeds, seedlings are a gamble in this game, especially with s1’s.

A clone ring would be better actually.
But this shit ain’t my thing no more, just stumbled on this for reason it was in my notofications.

8 Likes

I would be interested in some lebanese as well when the time comes

1 Like

Love all you guys. I’m a postaholic. It’s probably why I’m a lurker my internet is always loading a thousand photos up. I really need to crop them for the sake of space.

There’s different guys/gals who run more so of a type of grass I tend to gravitate. There’s just so many bad ass growers I feel intimidated sometimes. I just love growing and being here. Lol. I’m like the guy on the couch in Half Baked.:joy::v:

15 Likes

Looky what the cat brought in, good to see ya out and about @Baltimore

8 Likes

You too bud. I hope you’re doing good up there man I hope it’s not too cold. You’re correct on the s1s imo. How they are a good alternatives to someone like me who doesn’t have space to really pheno hunt or have the knowledge or space to breed like I want to but in that same sense s1’s can be really far off the mark like you said.

I feel when you mess with some things too much you’re bound to get unwanted results. Which is why I had to go back and get certain clones that I absolutely had to have because the s1s were really far off the mark. Good really good but the terps were totally off. Like you said. It’s a gamble.now if you’ve never had it’s strained before you can waste money being uninformed like I was. Live n learn.:grin::+1:

6 Likes

Hey man!! Long time no see. :slight_smile: I hope all is well with you and yours. :v:
:guitar:

4 Likes