Cob curing - anyone do it?

I’ve always figured the increase in THC was due to the bacteria, or enzymes more likely, consuming plant matter in the fermentation process. In the same way @legalcanada said one gram of bud with a stem in it has slightly less THC than one gram of straight bud – One gram of fermented buds may have slightly less plant material that we don’t notice
is missing, because it’s intracellular.
@ReikoX is there a drop in weight during cobbing? I do remember the volume changes pretty significantly.

To anyone who hasn’t read the tangwena thread, it’s absolutely worth your time and really not as long as it seems.

6 Likes

I basically came to the same conclusion. Between the compaction and the fermentation I’m sure there is a loss of mass/weight. I didn’t get a moisture measurement, but the cob was dryer than the bud. I’ll have to dig up a few pictures later.

3 Likes

I did want to point out that the plant doesn’t stop growing once it’s cut. That’s why you are able to clone it. It’s still alive for a bit after cutting and it uses the last of its energy towards finishing instead of rooting. That said, 30% is outrageous and I dunno about that.

RiddleM3/RM3 has grown since the ‘60s-‘70s and uses the cob method. He loves the end product, from my understanding. It’s like an intense cure. I think you wrap it in corncob husks and ferment it in the ground.

4 Likes

how much is testing where you are? i could only find one canadian website which listed prices and it was $75 for THC + 10 cannabinoids. steep hill is only $40

3 Likes

The $40 is their “express” testing price. It gets you CBDA, CBD, THCA, THC, and moisture. The full terpene and cannabinoid test is $80 I believe.

4 Likes

i’ve been wondering about this for sooooo long & just assumed real testing was 500$+/test & a thing done by few growers. never bothered to check. thanks :wink:

:evergreen_tree: :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Malawi is hanging and I just picked up some fresh corn.

6 Likes

Ripped from the IC cobcure thread:

24 Likes

…hrmmmm… :thinking: :smoking:

i can see that this isn’t complete quackery from the nice IC recipe just posted…i can see that’s a fair amount of extra work… i think i’d like to smoke a platter of comparison weeds before commiting to this. :smile:

:evergreen_tree: :hear_no_evil:

7 Likes

Thanks for your positive comment. :slight_smile:

The first replies in this thread were a bit on the negative sceptic side but I can understand that.

It’s nice to see that this evolved into a proper conversation!

I only wanted to spread a bit of love by bringing this to the attention of fellow OG’ers. :heart:

5 Likes

Malawi and Guawi and going in the cob tonight. I’ll get some pics and post them later.

3 Likes

Malawi buds dried for 3 days still very moist

Guawi Buds dried for 3 days still very moist

Rolling a Cob

Ready to Vac. sealed

Sealed up

In to the Food Dehydrator at 100 degrees for 24 hrs.

18 Likes

After 24 hrs. they were unsealed and removed from the cobs.

Malawi

Guawi

Resealed ready for the next phase.

18 Likes

Looks like it’s going well, that Malawi is going to be :fire::fire::fire:

7 Likes

Quick update:

I noticed the Guawi cobs has visible moisture on them. Open them up dried the water and re vacuum sealed them. Based on the smells they are fermenting nicely. 3 more days before they are dried and put in to jars to cure.

7 Likes

are you curing some of each the old fashioned way too to compare?

3 Likes

Yes I am and the traditionally jar cured bud is the top 2/3rds of the plant. The Cob cured is all lower buds.

the main reason I did this way was because it’s my first cob cure and if I screw it up I’ll feel better knowing it was the lower smaller buds.

Once I manage to pull off a few successful cob cures I’ll do a valid comparison. An even mix of bud from the whole plant will be cobbed and jar cured.

One thing those who have tried the cob cure agree on is how smooth they smoke with a very slow burn. Sounds like it would make a bad ass cannabis cigar.

10 Likes

I highly suggest you try chewing it like Tangwena does. I found the effects to be very enjoyable and intense. :wink:

8 Likes

Thank you sir for the suggestion I’ll be sure to try chewing. Guawi has a great peachy incense smell I wonder how she will taste.

3 Likes

Once fermented it was much more palatable than I expected, but I just kept it kinda like chewing tobacco for 20 minutes or so, then washed it down with a glass of water. Then I went roller skating and got some pretty good visuals off the dance lights.

8 Likes