Cob curing - anyone do it?

I’ve been researching cob curing to see what the general consensus is. I sincerely look forward to the final update. I will likely be trying a control group of small buds as part of a trial before jumping in it completely.

2 Likes

Have you tried the rosin press on them?
Am curious how already compressed weed would squish.
Now an increase in THC isn’t an increase in yield, just stronger?

2 Likes

@HalfBee you know me well. Of course I tried pressing some! It came out very dark, but maintained a similar fermented flavor and the effects were the same or better than the regular cured bud.

Yes, that is correct in fact there is less weight due to moisture losses. The increase was in potency, not yield.

8 Likes

Very cool, never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.

Bringing a old post forward !

Anyone that’s cob cured there bud care to share there take on whether it’s worth trying ?

Read the full post over at IC and seems most swear by it that it improves the high ?

3 Likes

I was wondering how I could get a decent cure on good sized leaves to do a cannagar and had looked into how tobacco leaf is cured.

Curious to know if you still employ this method regularly or have found it labor intensive? Modified it recently?

2 Likes

I don’t make cannagars often. Last time I tried the COB cure, the leaves molded on me. The next cannagar I simply dried the leaves between the pages in a magazine. That cannagar fell apart. :rofl:

4 Likes

Got three cobs of (khalifa’s recent kibungan release) phillipino landrace going through the process now - tried with different drying times / sample weights / initial sweating (104’F)times / secondary “cure” (77-86’F) times - follow up reports will be due after the it has had time to briefly dry to the touch and then re-vac for aging 1-6 months

6 Likes

Sounds really good hope to hear how they turn out for you. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Just not taking my pretty 3 month cared for and loved Bud and turning it into that! Dont care how smooth , if it’s stronger, just not doing it, lol! For me a lot of the pleasure comes from snapping open a choice bud, seeing it’s colors and tri’s inside it. The smell, the look, the stickness when done well.

Not putting down those who do, it looks cool, and it’s an involved process, lol, so it would appeal to stoners. I do not find my own grown buds “harsh” , so the smooth thing doesntvhave much appeal. I have the tollerance of Wille and Snoop, so effects wouldnt do it for me either. Eating bud does not affect me much, look it up, some people do not metabolize thc well when eaten. Im one. Takes huge mg’s for me to even feel it.

Id liketo see a Cob in person, they do look COOL!

1 Like

I still don’t know what people mean by harsh (or smooth). Calcium oxalate? Altered metabolism? Alkene overload? It’s a horrible descriptor. I mean, is Diet Pepsi harsh, and regular Pepsi is smooth? Some people say baking soda washed bud is smooth. I guess I hate smooth weed then?

Can anyone help? Are Skittles harsh and Starburst smooth? Is that what people mean? If the weed tastes like buttered taint and makes you puke, is that harsh or smooth?

Cob curing is call Cavendish curing in Western society. You don’t have to do all the tribal hippy rituals, if anyone is curious. Cavendish is for low quality herb in my opinion. The reason Mexican brick is bricked.

2 Likes

Mexican brick in the 70’s depending on what there was some of it would kick your ass to the ditch or give ya a fireworks show with your eyes .
No ceiling weed back then came through quite often plus my tolerance levels were a bit lower also but more than once I’d green someone out . Lights out and chicken wiggle .

1 Like

Most lab tests over estimate the THC. 26 should knock me flat. Before I starting growing Durban Poison, I bought a stick, supposedly 22% THC and it wasn’t near strong as my own. Was way harsh also. Anyway, I wonder if this “cobbing” mainly reduces the CBD making the THC feel stronger.
Butincreeasing THC by 30%…ehhhhhh…

1 Like

You’re right lab tests typically seem inflated… however there is a forum member here that tested on the same flower cured vs cobbed so even if the numbers are inflated, the % increase should be valid

1 Like

So far the cobbs are going really well - the aroma/flavor has definitely become more complex, but I want to give it more time to properly develop/mature. Snuck some samples, both smoking and chewing. Sublime on both fronts; and that’s without the proper aging/maturation of 1-6 months+ that will permit for the potential to truly emerge.

Observations from Sensei Tang himself regarding how the temp variables impact effect:

“This period of aging/sweating is what creates the different cures.
Less heat more speedy, the more heat the more the resin changes color and the high with it. The hot aging produces a radical change in the high, its hard to describe its more mental, clear and intense.
While the cool age/sweat is similar to the jar cured high, the warm cure brings a mix of both. Its up to your taste, thats why I recommend trying all three cures if you have enough bud and go with the method that suites your taste. Personally I like all three ha ha.”

22 Likes

@US3RNAM3 Looks like you’re using a sushi rolling mat? Great idea!
What kind of paper are you using?

1 Like

@PineTarBastard Hey there - sorry I’m only just seeing this for some reason I didn’t see any notification of a tag or response on this thread.

Indeed, there’s a japanese grocery store nearby that had the legit imported stuff. This is simple non-stick parchment baking paper used for baking that can be found at most local super markets.

update 10/16/22 > Cob # 1 was so enjoyable it didn’t even make the 1 month minimum cure requirement…spicey papaya/guava flavor, very smooth - was smokeable well before the jar cured stuff was. Cobs # 2 and #3 still curing/aging in vac seal ableit with many chunks missing (for science!). Recent tests bring a new meaning to the 1 month cure required. HOLY SHMOLY - taking a short tolerance break of 1 week before hand surely amplified it but man it was like going on a journey, a very euphoric and INTENSE journey (smoking .5 - 1g). In an attempt to establish a semblance of objective experimentation, I also tested the jar cured after the tolerance break, and while the experience was felt, it wasn’t “HOLY …am I tripping?” strong.

9 Likes

@US3RNAM3 I like the idea of using parchment paper and the sushi mat, and will need to make a trip to the local asian grocery store. I don’t have a vac seal system, but they are often on sale around the holidays. I’m excited to try it this!

3 Likes

Sounds neat, if yeast can synthesize cannabinoids it stands to reason that another fermentation process could increase naturally occurring ones.

4 Likes

@PineTarBastard The combo worked very well, eventually tied with a string at the end, that was probably the trickiest part due to the non-sticky-ness of the parchment paper.

If at all possible, try to see if you can use a pure landrace sativa. As i’m sure you’re aware, the quality of the cerebral, soaring sativa high versus the narcotic stone from ‘indicas’ is particularly pronounced as the cobbing amplifies effects.

I didn’t have a vac-sealer until trying this either, there are alot in the $50-100 price range, I would bite the bullet and spend a little extra for the $90+ range models, preferably one with a manual vac seal option, (personally I got the FM2000 foodsaver from walmart, best deal at the time from local brick+mortar retailer - unfortunately the vac seal function is automated even though it’s advertised as …“manual operation vacuum sealing system” - I wanted to be able to bring it somewhere for exch or customer service if there were issues).

For the sous vide/yogurt maker, I went with this unit from “Little Bear Electric” - cost me $40 brand new (Bear Brand 4in1 Yogurt Maker Machine SNJ-C10T1BK – LittleBearElectriconline) , inflation is really ramping up - just kicked up their price to $55 but I found this $19 listing on eBay that may be of interest:

Медведь йогуртница греческий йогурт Maker машина с ситечко и таймер (чтение) | eBay?

^^don’t ask me why eBay is designating this link of the yogurt maker above as foreign - as it is posted from a Florida seller

Excited to see a new member join the cobbing ranks, please post your findings over here when everything is said and done :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes