Commercial Bag Seed

Lots of dis for this and lots of reason for it. OTOH…

1. Anything got you high and had seeds has to be better if grown without.

2. Seeded may be all that is available at your price point or in your area.

3. Cannabis potency drifts toward the high end. Users and growers actively seek to make it stronger on a persistent basis or have to date.

4. Some fine old strains came from seeded.

I have a collection of seeds some labeled some just old commercial. My first grow came from some of these. I learned a lot from that grow and the smoke was good and strong. A pine/turpentine scent and some nice flower structure. I crossed a male I had hoped was female and late blooming…hollow stem, saw 9 fingered leaves(…the plant flowered at 95+ degree in 90% RH) with my Widow.

Edit: parenthesis for clarity

7 Likes

First grow. FCBS-2012
Had complete leaf drop. Fungus gnats and spider mites. Sprayed water on the bud tips and nurtured 13 whole grams to harvest LOL But learned an awful lot.

re-veged male clone from same seeds as pictured female.

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with bag seeds. I think the majority of us learned with them. I also, quickly, learned that genetics matter. Seeds from good breeders stand out and tend to be more stable.

I have a few seeds from commercial brick weed. Most of it from Mexico. Up to about 9 years ago that was all I smoked. I still have three or four seeds from a “good” batch. Grew some once and it, amazingly, smelled quite similar to the bag it came from.

10 Likes

I smoked commercial weed for close to 40 years. These came from the North Florida area. I lived there and had connections there for many years. There is a strain that originated there called Florida OG. I believe this to be related and wish to grow out the bag seed to see. I have a round hoping to have some up any day. If I can get a couple males and a couple females I will definitely have a project.

Here is a link I found that references a Florida OG Kush https://www.strainspot.com/marijuana-strains/girl-scout-cookies-marijuana/

6 Likes

Described this females bud structure to an experienced grower and he said immediately ‘crown’ and commented that typically it is undesirable because of bag appeal and mutations of structure.

1 Like

I grew up in Alabama and lived in Northwest Florida a time or two. I wonder if you’re talking about Triangle Kush that’s from Florida? If you think you still have any bagseed from anything related to that I would still look through them.

I had wonderful luck from bag seed over the years. It’s the only way I ever got seed. Truth is it was always better than what I remembered it coming from. I still save the stray seed from a bud gifted to me or bought at a dispensary. I grew out a Ghost Dream (Ghost OG x Blue Dream) single seed from some bud I bought, and it was a freaking beast of a plant and grew like one, too. Very nice results.

I just can’t throw them away. I gift them if I can’t grow them.

peace

4 Likes

I grew out some mexi-brick one time that no shit tasted like Vicks Vaporub, It grew very dark green compact bushes under my 250 hps. It was so freaky how menthol it was, I wish I still had it in the collection.

Round one. Nothing. When I first put the seeds in soil I had forgotten to cover them. May have gotten a chill overnight and ruined everything. Have 6 in soak. I have scuffed the seed tails this time and soaked them in peroxide 30 minutes before water soak with a single drop of fulvic acid in a 16 oz cup of water, to kill off anything might be causing wilt. All 6 sank by this am so dropping them straight into seed starter medium today.

Most of that ‘brick weed’ under went a fermenting cure which gave it a ‘dirt’ weed taste that I never could tolerate. All of the stuff I ever got commercial was never cured in that manner. I tried my hand growing back in the '70’s and gave up. Not everyone did. Lot of ‘special’ seed stock out there people sitting on. Bet on it.

1 Like

Round 2 is another dud. I hope I have not lost these seeds due to improper storage but it is possible since I went without air conditioning last year for the first summer in 40+ years.

There is still the existing male that I could back cross to I doubt I go there for unknown genetics. I will keep sampling for now. If I were to recreate one of the parents via backcrosses it would be Mom.

A male of this line was crossed with the Wicked Widow.

So harvested the seed from the cross and they really didn’t come out well since the plant stressed so badly in the last 2 months. About half of the buds are seeded and only few looks as though they might germ

I think I’ll set them aside and recross to get a healthier seed run. OTOH I have OG projects and these seed mean far less to me now. This will go on a back burner.

1 Like

hey guys my name is jay! im new to the grow scene! first step is getting some seeds…can anyone help me out with that …It would be much appreciated thankyou

1 Like

I see you’re new here @Jaykane93

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to Overgrow 2.0!

If you could, please take a minute for the dust to settle after joining, be active in some threads, and participate. There are lots of giveaways and generous members here, so I suggest settling in and joining the community rather than making your first and second post asking for seeds.

For reference, Allow my sarcastic humorous post to guide you in the right direction!
https://overgrow.com/t/begging-for-seeds-again/14183/6?u=jellypowered

3 Likes

thanks my man didnt mean to come off like that . your right and thankyou man

4 Likes

No problem! I see someone has already offered to help ya out, I love this community!

Enjoy your stay, look forward to seeing you grow out some beans :slight_smile: Make a grow diary! We love pictures here.

@Olbrannon To contribute to your thread, I’ve had some gems come from bag seed, I used to save any seed I found from “good bags” and was not completely disappointed when I grew them out. In fact, Thanks to a friend here I was able to start a project from some bag seeds of some particularly good possibly SSHxCheese that ended up having a coffee funk to it.

2 Likes

Thats what a good friend had told me as well! I cant wait to learn hands on ! And be able to cross bread and what not! Gives me pure happiness

3 Likes