(complete) Holy Smoke Seeds Peshawar Afghan Coop Seed Run

Got it worked without the @. @upstate seems like you can sign up just with no @ in the name at this point.

5 Likes

Yeah man I think that was your issue before, as It says at the bottom to leave it off, but I’m sure a lot of us would miss that being a lil high haha

6 Likes

Yep I read it even noted it. Then I clicked the edit pencil and habit took over and I totally forgot what I noted to remember. Smoke another bowl why don’t I? That’s a great idea me it doesn’t effect short term memory at all. Huh wait what. Lol

@upstate thanks for the information gathered about your grow it is truely amazing. You make it very obvious that you take great pride in your work and the original lines of this wonderful plant. I didn’t even know there was an Afghan sativa plant all you really hear of is Afghan Indica strain which I happen to be growing atm. Awesome info you have really peaked my interest in llandrace sativas which I had dismissed because I’m use to dispensary sativas. Can’t wait to feel the true sativa fire.

8 Likes

This information I quoted was gotten from the real seed company. After thoroughly looking over all of the information available I have to now disagree with Angus of the real seed company on this matter. I think the tall Sativa Genes in such Afghan strains hail from South originally, not North. I have a couple reasons for this change in thinking. It’s Not easy to disagree with someone as knowledgeable as Angus…but here I am.
Sativa’s from northern India 30-32 degrees latitude in the Himalayas flower for 11-14 weeks or so. Afghan Hindu Kush strains can be much faster flowering, as quick as 6 or 7 weeks but normally 8-11 weeks. You would think that any sativa’s coming from North of Afghanistan, due to latitude and a shorter growing season would also flower in the 8 week range, possibly up to 10 weeks. This is what we find today in countries North of Afghanistan. Why then do these tall sativas of Afghanistan flower for such a long time? Where are the tall northern sativas that are said to be the ancestors of Afghanistan’s Sativa genepool? I have been unable to find anything of tall stature North of Afghanistan…anywhere.
And then we have the oral traditions of the Afridi Tribe of Pakistan. Their oral tradition states that about 600 years ago Sativa genetics from India were brought North to their region. Lo and behold we have a tall sativa with sparse branching in this area, quite like the Indian Himalayan sativas that flower for the same exact amount of time at the same latitude. Interesting. So we have an oral account from the last tribe actually still growing these sativas that goes back hundreds of years that states that the sativa plants they grow
came from India, or we have Angus from the real seed company saying that they came from the North. I’m thinking the Afridi know where they got their own genetics. I think the genetics they brought home with them 600 years ago were spread throughout the area. Their proximity to the Khyber pass ensured that Afghanistan would also see an influx of these same genetics. Of course this is my opinion only…

24 Likes

I would like to thank @Comacus, The mystery seed donor that originally supplied the pack of seeds that gave us Joe. Thanks!

24 Likes

Hail Comacus! Hail Upstate!

13 Likes

See that makes alot of sense to me it fits right into the ancient sea faring people’s to come in through India and not some mountain range in the middle of the continent :slight_smile: lol and what I’m talking about them spreading about is the ancient sativa lines of old aka tree of life , I believe they did this to bring medicine and the expansion of consciousness through the use of pot, mushrooms and ayahuasca to the people, and the sea faring people’s/ Atlantis got their knowledge from the nephilim , like I said a little on the fringe :slight_smile: but there are a lot of facts that supports this theory

6 Likes

Haaaa, me too, Simple pleasures for simple minds! :nerd_face: :grin:

I finally found the answer in your other Peshwar thread, lol. I’m surprised I didn’t get it with the Joe Peschi angle, haaa. I use him for everything, heh heh

I noticed I’m on the list in the 20’s I think. These landrace you’re coming up with are blowing my mind. Definitely some of the most unique flavors. That Malana was really different and I have crosses of it, too. I gotta get all my pollen chucking seeds from those crosses organized and into the hands of others.

This one should be really fun. They grow so well here at 32º but I just have to bring them inside for the last stretch that they seem to not mind at all.

Now I have to start working through all of the these threads of yours. Thanks for such info rich threads! I love this stuff. peace

8 Likes

Wait !? Hold on a sec @upstate , you got some malana? And the plot thickens! Lol :joy:

3 Likes

Not in disagreement, but to add fuel to the fire of discussion…

I was recently remembering a member named perhaps Lynz420? This person was posting in the original Ultimate Sativa Thread around 2006. They had a strain they were calling Krush and it was supposedly an Afghani sativa. Thin leaves and taking 12 weeks or something to flower. This caused a big debate about what the plant actually was, if Afghanistan has or ever had pure sativas, and so forth.

The prevailing wisdom at the time was that these tall long flowering plants were usually loosely tended plants outside of the main villages. They were varieties of hemp that had been pollinated for numerous generations by hash plants and now they pretty much grew wild outside of the irrigated patches. For extra income they would use those semi wild plants for more kief but it wasn’t the good stuff.

What you wanted was the farmers headstash from the protected and irrigated patches. These would be short bushy plants. The rest was half feral bullshit.

Nowadays I have no idea. So much of it was rumors or nonsense. Almost none of the information we had back then was direct from the source. Even if it was, that persons ability to translate what he was seeing was incredibly limited by language and cultural barriers, as well as that own persons knowledge. How many Hippie Trail caravans ever had an American farmer on there who went and talked to Afghani farmers? It was mostly spoiled suburban kids looking for mystical experiences and a handful of hash heads from what I have understood.

It is very interesting to live in a time and era where we have translation apps, smart phones even in 3rd world areas, social media, etc. We get to talk directly with people from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc. Information that would have been unbelievably difficult to communicate only decades ago is now at our fingertips.

13 Likes

From what I know, the following screenshot captures a lot of information that is pretty important. Everything seems to line up well with the timing of the oldest known Afghan hybrid between Sativa and Indica, the Mazar-i-sharif strain from the 1930’s. This correlated with an influx into the region of Turkestani Hash farmers fleeing Xinxiang China in the 30’s, passing thru the Kunar river valley on the way and likely finding and gathering an unfamiliar cannabis( Indica…2 types, documented by Russian Botanist Nikolai Vavilov and found growing wild along the Kunar river not long before) and sharing it with local farmers. (Perhaps these Chinese muslim farmers already knew the effects of hybridization between two unrelated cannabis genepools. I bet they did. )
In the 1950’s the last king of Afghanistan( ruled from 1926-73 and king from 33-73) began encouraging the incorporation of Indica genetics into the predominantly Sativa Afghan genepool to increase resin and yield. Perhaps he was struck, like most Westerners today, by the potency, vigor, resistances and yield of Mazar hash plants when a young ruler in the 1930’s. At the time the hybrid vigor effect would have been fresh and more powerful than today’s regional heirloom.
South of the Hindu Kush it appears there were Cultivated Indicas in the Kandahar region in the 30’s. Prior to this I don’t know if Indica was cultivated. Perhaps a whole nation was hybridized in the mid 20th century. The first Sativa genepool to fall victim to hybridization and to be nearly extinguished.

“The prevailing wisdom at the time was that these tall long flowering plants were usually loosely tended plants outside of the main villages.”
[/quote] by Motaco…
Personally I think these Sativas are todays feral unfarmed version of the extinct farmed South Asian Sativas of the past that the Afridi tribe brought .

Take note that it says the Turkestani farmers brought their sativa genetics with them. Likely another piece of the puzzle.

17 Likes

So then are there 2 Sativa genepools in Afghanistan?
One from North India spread by the Afridi Tribe over the last 600 years, grown mostly by Pashtuns and another one, fresher to the area, brought by Turkestani Hash farmers in the 30’s and predominantly grown on the North side of the Kush?
Was this Turkestani Sativa mixed with an existing Sativa genepool?
I think yes.
Mazar heirloom = afghan sativa× Turkestani sativa × kunar river Indica?
What I know is that a massive Sativa from somewhere was used. Himalayas are the only region I know of that has such plants.

14 Likes

These tall slender Sativas are a representation of what used to be common but now is found as a phenotype in modern Afghan strains, which are in reality old heirloom hybrids in many cases.

22 Likes

Heeey Joe…where you goin with that bud in your hand?

33 Likes

You and Zanzibar also gave me seed but I remembered that. I couldn’t remember that first batch.

4 Likes

Sorry. I meant for that to be a private post.

4 Likes

I opened google maps and searched for the Kunar River and clicked on the photos. I couldn’t finish them, there were so many. It’s a really beautiful place.

6 Likes

The Coma-Cus is a very cool dude indeed.
Thank you @Comacus

6 Likes

3 cheers for @comacus! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

3 Likes