(complete) Holy Smoke Seeds Peshawar Afghan Coop Seed Run

Lol nope your right! My bad lol it Gerry, from Colorado sativa’s thats my fault I shop with both those guys

3 Likes

his s1 Is just a open pollination ps I checked sunoma seeds and they’re no longer selling the oaxacan Thia so maybe I got one for a co-op :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Check out this crazy looking afghan

35 Likes

Looks like cousin It😂

8 Likes

Grown just outside Chernobyl. Right?
:astonished:

7 Likes

I’m more central, so it can definitely get humid here. My post was pretty rambling so I get why you’d think mountains, but it’s mostly Hill Country around here. The capital letters are because it’s a pretty distinct ecosystem, not just any open country with hills. Luckily indoors it’s not as wet and sticky as say, Houston. So I can play with some microclimates.

Long term plan would be to have acreage to play with and we’ve thought about Marfa / Big Bend / Presidio County and that is more mountainous for sure.

4 Likes

That’s a beast! It’s wild how compact and unforgiving the soil looks. Looks a lot like the limestone Karst around here actually.

3 Likes

:pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers: hands required as well

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to my first real sativas big time :grin: between the wonderful folks here on og and some of my own acquisitions it’ll be a nice reprieve from my last few years of almost nothing but indica hybrids :sob: I might try a few pots but I have a bunch of raised beds I’m going to be planting in, I’m kinda hoping to do the opposite - start the sativas early inside, and then move them outside to finish.

7 Likes

These farmers use flood and drain style or irrigation ditches. Looks like the water level just went down.
Not sure what kind of soil they have exactly, but it is very high in calcium. Fertile, too.

7 Likes

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Maybe it’s just water erosion that makes it look that way to me. Due to the amount of drilling going on both in Afghanistan and Texas, I imagine it’s very similar geology. It’s clearly fertile enough to grow that bad mama-jama, and I know that flood and drain can bring in lots of good river sediment. Maybe I am just keying in on the fact that it’s certainly not Happy Frog or Fox Farm, rich dark organic topsoil.

5 Likes

Desert soils look unproductive don’t they? I’m always surprised when I see this big ass Afghan plant rising out of the dust and rubble in IG photos. The surface of that soil often gets that baked look to it too. Amazing genepool.

8 Likes

Agreed. That soil is like the bad neighborhood that makes a kid tough enough to make it out there on his own. Helps explain how adaptable the weed is.

8 Likes

I know the nile only needs 2-3 weeks to be replenished before they sew the field again. There’s just so many nutrients being deposited by the river from southern ethiopian highlands.

5 Likes

Looks like the #8 Daman Kandahar Village selection. Those narrow leaves are looking great on that Afghan.

3 Likes

If that plant is tall, the roots are deep. Those Afghan, Pakistani farmers irrigate their fields. They get rain in the winter months, they also get an occasional flood like Pakistan did last year. Remember, Egypt of the ancient world had the best wheat because of the Nile’s yearly flood depositing minerals into those fields. I once attended a seminar hosted by the author of this book. Fascinating stuff.

6 Likes

Growing landrace is fascinating for me because of the world history lesson. I would love to travel to these places and see for myself, sad that Afghanistan went from fucked up and bad to even more fucked up and bad in the last couple of years. I don’t know what it’s like on the ground there, but I can be sure it’s worse for a curious American hashish tourist.

I have been able to travel to Peru and saw some incredible things that the Inca used to do with those stone terraces that you may have seen. I guess they would transport fertile river sediment and other soil types to create layers of soil with all the water and nutrients in the right place for whatever they were growing. Mostly potatoes and quinoa and stuff. But it’s wild how advanced the thinking was behind the construction.

8 Likes

I’d love to go to Peru. Incredible engineering by the Inca and according to them, the culture that predates them.

In Afghanistan some farms use(d) an ancient network of man-made underground channels called the Qanat System.

Unfortunately today some of these old underground channels have fallen into disrepair and no one is fixing them. Instead some farmers now rely on well water and pumps to irrigate. Other farmers irrigate with water leftover from irrigation of almond orchards and this water has nutrients in it(what kind I don’t know).
Of course others, like you guys said, use the good stuff. River water. It’s the equivilent of a super mellow bubbled compost tea with fish emulsion in my book.
@RoryBorealis that

pic was from IG. Arghandhab ( kandahar)rings a bell. Crazy looking plant. I hope I get a wierd one like that( as the thought radiates outwards into the universe gathering similar frequencies…the more I think of it the more likely I’ll find one. )Stay tuned. Cousin It is on the menu. I just think it’s a really tough looking, potent plant, but I wouldn’t want to trim it lol. Nonetheless, I’ll be picturing myself trimming such a plant until I find one for real. Maybe a Red Pheno, or even a Black one.

15 Likes

Dude this is what I’m talking about. I think it’s a mistake to think we are the first humans to be master environmental engineers. Thanks for the share, I’m gonna geek out on this for awhile. My last trip down the rabbit hole about ancient Lebanon was really wild.

6 Likes

The old water hole is getting icy.

No recent snow melt so this spring water is what I’m using atm

13 Likes