Congo trip with Kidete

Totally agree @Upstate, this trip was EPIC, Mike went above and beyond expectations what an adventure. Cant wait to see how the Masisi turns out, very exciting seed increase

10 Likes

You can watch my strain hunt in Goma on my Youtube channel. Here’s the link

21 Likes

Watching it now, thank you for making the new video!

8 Likes

Sorry if I misread it, but is now the time to be sending out mailing info, or are things still moving backstage?

9 Likes

If @kidete doesn’t have your mailing info he needs it, yes. Also, Any of you that paid for 2 slots, Make sure you remind kidete. @Sbeanonnamellow and a couple others did, i think.
A reminder that it takes a long time for kidete to package the seeds the way he does it… But it’s a hell of a lot quicker than going to Goma yourself :grin:

21 Likes

Can you give me the title of this article ? Thanks man :grin:

3 Likes

I can’t access Mike’s IG account for some weird reason. Is it just me?

2 Likes

Has anybody got any updates about seeds being sent out?

3 Likes

It takes him a few months to pack and ship everything out. Looks like we’re not the only ones looking for seeds in the Congo.

6 Likes

I cant wait for this project to unfold. Congo is truley wild and untouched.

7 Likes

I’m not really on IG, but I think he said the IG mods temporarily shut it down or something… I could be wrong…

5 Likes

No pics, but I planted 4 of the Angola from the last trip, just to see, only 2 came up, one was a super herm, an ugly one, so I killed that fool. The other looks pure female, and has been flowering for 6 weeks minimum already, with no significant development whatsoever yet. I’m thinking at least two more months, probably another 10 weeks. Both have/had a wonderful white sage smell on the stem rubs. I LOVE sage smelling weed, so hopefully the buds also have it when all’s said and done.

19 Likes

Alright mate, thanks! I somehow missed that.
Good luck with the Angola, can’t wait to see how it goes!

4 Likes

Glad you are into the Angola seeds. When it comes to indigenous landrace seed, the absolute best germination rates are at about sixty percent. Oftentimes its lower, As the seeds aren’t cared for properly at harvest. Can’t wait to see the sage smell develope more. @YoBigdaddy was going to get into the Angola too.

Yes, his site was shut down. Here or Email is the best way to communicate with him. I think the last time it took about two months before the first packs went out and then you can expect up to 5 weeks for the mail. Hopefully within the next few weeks the seeds begin arriving.

15 Likes

Just checked my email. Masisi is inbound. Usually takes around 3 weeks or so to get to my place. I can’t wait! My plan with these
Is to veg them for a little while So I can flower more mature plants and hopefully avoid some hermes. I expect to have to take cuttings and flower those If the plants get too big too quick. I want to keep them in larger containers, again to lessen hermies. It’s much easier keeping a cutting small in a large container than it is a seed plant small in a large container. I was talking with @LoveofLandrace about this black magic strain, if we indeed found it. Very long legs to the high when mature and fermented.

Mailed 2 days ago.

28 Likes

That is teally great news, glad to see the seeds on their way to you @Upstate . Is there any descriptions of what the black magic flower is suppose to look like?

5 Likes

Very good news for sure!

3 Likes

Oh i know about the germ rates with straight from the source stuff. Seems the more hot and humid areas have lesser germ rates than the cold desert seeds. I think the way the buds are packed, ie, how wet they are, or if they are smashed, lower the rates dramatically too. Could also be that the seeds just aren’t fully done when they cut the stuff. I always put the info out so anyone thinking of breeding with it knows you may have to go for a whole 10 pack or more to get a good male and female. The Africans may be more like the SE Asians, where herms are more prevalent than pure males… I don’t mind herms if that’s all there is, but there are levels of herm it seems… Some are almost complete fems, just some balls, some have a lot of balls, but are split from the female flowers, so they can put off a lot of pollen, but can also be removed fairly easily when dry, so the buds are still good to smoke… Then there’s these ones like I had here, where it’s just a mess… A nightmare herm, that isn’t really smokable… Almost mutant like… Those ones are hard to keep… The sage is a good thing… I got something from an older couple that had it, (the sage terps), a while back… They told me it was an African Colombian Mexi cross… I didn’t really think they knew for sure, but it smelled just like this on the stem, only more old school skunk and something else i can’t describe, so I’m thinking they were right on. (I’m one of those that believes skunk is a Central, inland Mex). Anyway, it was one of those, as Bodhi calls them, “back to the future” strains. Return to a past version of yourself type effects. If Mike still has some left I may by another pack. I did buy some of the Masisi, I plan on making seeds with those, I know you are too, maybe all who are, can pool the f2s to help spread variety in the line to everybody on OG… Maybe same with the Angola, if Mike’s cool with that, that is. If he plans on getting more in future, maybe I’ll hold off on giving out the freebies. You can ask him.

8 Likes

Even though I haven’t read the Malawi cob cure thread on icmag, I couldn’t help but notice, at a first glance, that they thought to replace corn/banana leaves with plastic bags. If what you’re saying is true then it might be quite different to wrap them in leaves vs in plastic bags.

What are your thoughts on that @DragonflyCoyoteSmoke? Also, did you notice any difference between the black, red and green cure? Is this coloring related more to the way it was cured or more related to the genetics?

5 Likes

That’s my sincere hope. Personally i didn’t help pull a couple rare varieties out of the congolese jungle to hoard them. Any genes I get will be spread far and wide. Being one of the first to work with them is the motivation for me. I read about BAM so long ago, and never really expected to ever get to try it. I sure hope we found it! I truly believe that if we all pool the best of what we find, together we will have ourselves a kick-ass jungle strain. Success favors the generous soul.
@Mrgreenthumb i have found no flower description aside from the color and look suggesting fermentation. Zero description of fresh flower.
@SF0 if there are hermies, let us hope they are of the manageable kind, and that the males are good and stable. Fingers crossed!

17 Likes