Creating True Breeding Strains By Vic High

I sure hope not banking on my collection being worth lots when I’m dead and gone. Lol

2 Likes

5x10 feet or meters?

1 Like

Meters ofc :grin: the actual area was 13x7, but with wall fans and extra area to go around the room. The total grow area was approximately 5x10m. This was the biggest grow room I had as a caretaker and I used it to pheno hunt medicine. A dear friend helped me build it and I used it for over 6 years.

Pz :v:t2:

4 Likes

Maybe you’ re focusing too much on heterosis? Things are not binary when it comes to this. Even in industrial food crop breeding. Heterosis is not on or off, there are different levels of it. Proper inbreeding is often taking that into account and made using several parallel lines from a first cross, precisely to keep a level of heterosis when all this lines are crossed back together and become a released product.

But maybe I’m not getting your question. It’s sunday though :smiley:

5 Likes

I have a 16x24 or 5m x 7.5m, so each female requires 1 sqm.

Awesome you grew that many females but it is very disappointing you didn’t get a keeper. Three independent assorted traits would make it 1%. .

Did the good Posi Haze girls reproduce good phenos when you bred them or did they fall apart?

4 Likes

@Cactus Nice! What potsize do you go with?

1 Like

Errr… ummm… 5x10m… wow!!!

1 Like

Metric or US :rofl:. Well like Tom said the keepers get the big pot. 5 gal container have ton of those so why not.

2 Likes

@Cactus I used 10 or 5l pots dependent on the plant count.

Tbh with you, I never bred with it. The terps can be found in many of the African sativas and the Africans smokes better as medicine. Also, I already had an awesome Nevilles Haze keeper that I found in a batch of Mr Nice around -13 -14 and it always won the side by side tests of any patients who was trying haze out.

I wouldn’t call THH hay or anything, but for what I needed at the time, it didn’t fit and I’ve found that what THH have to offer in other cultivars which come with other perks aswell.

3 Likes

Thanks for your information and candor. I like the fact that you don’t pull any punches and speak your mind; I have a 100 of these little beans and would like to open pollinate them since Tom is acting like he is getting ready to bounce on something so… Yes when I was doing the diagrams I am looking at the traits being inherited as blocks of C-G and A-T or a gene packet. These discrete packets that form various parts of the plant seem to be inherited in multiples of the monomers that stay quasi stable so it makes for a part specific approach to how the DNA recombines and the math shows this to be the case. Just a matter of finding out whether the genetics are there to create this special type. You seem to think there is better in the African lines and I have no opinion for I have never grown these African types or the ones being grown by others that have crossed the THH in other stuff. I am wondering if it is more like the Skunkmans Haze and better as a breeder type?

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t want to shit on anyone, but yet share my experience with cultivars. Tbh with you, I really hope you find that keeper in those seeds. Because I’m sure that there is a high possibility that if it exist, it’s possible to stabilise further then 5%. The problem I see with the continued open pollination is that let’s say that some of these traits are on a polygenic spectrum, which we know cannabinoid production is and also most of the terps. The secret to this uber pheno is it’s chemovar, so that means that we are never narrowing the spectrum that the polygenic traits can play within and we are never widening it either, we are scrambling it. So if this trait continue to exist in this 5% fashion even though we are mudding the water for ever generation further from the initial cross. Then it needs to be an trait that is some of the extremes of a normal distribution. Which means that the actual trait might be so simple that it’s the % plants with THCV levels above a certain threshold.
Sorry if I’m rambling, pretty high atm…

Well, African sativas are not haze, i shouldn’t really compare them. But if you are going down the sativa rabbit hole, you discover that much of what makes a sativa great is based on two different highs, the clear one and the devastating one. Haze have both, and that’s why these endless discussions continues on. So I don’t think that you should think about it as is THH/OTH/OH better for breeding, it’s more about which phenotypes can be pulled from different part of the lines that suites your end goal. Much the same can be thought of when picking any sativa to produce the end goal.

What I can say, I remember that some males I had when I grew THH got purple really quick and some females also. This made me thought that if someone would like to recreate a true purple haze, this would be a good line to start.

5 Likes

Had a chat with a trusted old timer this afternoon about it

He is certain beyond the shadow of a doubt its:

Oaxaca x old pungent skunky ghani (possibly kabul / mazar)

He showed me some pics of an old xaca line. Looked basically exactly like og but took 18 weeks to finish

Not my photo. 18 week ancient oaxaca

mm

2 Likes

This haze is already THC dominant that box is checked. The morphology well is somewhat loose but consistent with its tropical background. I think what might be sought after is the so called entourage effects. This can be a simple group of bases that form the genes required for this to happen. So far I think the mechanisms are inherited on two different chromosomes that sort themselves out independently. JMO.
I think this might work for more types that share backgrounds with other types.

I would be interested in your take with breeding the African lines but not sure this would be the place and plus putting you on the spot all the time can be annoying so I don’t mean to be too pushy or forward.

3 Likes

I see why you would think so, but as far as I know. All automones got data about the cannabinoid production. The THCA or CBDA switch is a set of genes that enables the plant to produce the individual enzyme that turn precursors into the acid each acid form. Even though you got the CBDA switch active, there is still a range of the effectiveness to produce this enzyme, generating a range of concentration. There is also a range of precursors produced and a range of competition between other enzymes that use the same precursors. As we know so far, there is more then hundred canabinoids in cannabis and they are present in different concentration. Haze have many different setups of these cannabinoid switches and ranges. This is where the possibility for the large spectrum of chemovars exist. This is a simplified form how the process of Cannabinoids production works, I have to be honest that a full picture of exact which genes does what is not public yet, so it’s out of my scope of knowledge, but I try to stay updated.

No, please ask what ever you feel like. I will try to answer you with what I know :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I got something you might want to look at. What I am thinking is these high THC hazes have already been selected so the (Bt/Bt or Bt/Bd or Bd/Bd) that is inherited and can be locked in, that box is checked, the morphology on the haze well no not going to worry about that since this isn’t a weight production type. I say that those bases are covered and that the entourage effect is found on two different chromosomes jmo. I bet somebody is probably saying BS but that is just my hunch. What is the entourage effect tied to? How is the size of the trichomes inherited and does that have anything to do with the quality of the haze? As you can tell I am getting somewhat specific and what to tie it into. Have to be markers that are being missed and just a matter of saying duh why didn’t I think of that. Much of what I am question comes from Tom’s observations and so far I have found him spot on in so many steps. He is throwing it out there and they have been strikes across home plate. I don’t know if these are his own ideas or others that he associates with but the data and theory are solid in my book. Maybe I am reading and making more out what he is saying but it is easier to get the answer and reverse engineer it than to create something completely new. I don’t believe there is anything new that we are going to do that nature hasn’t already figured out.

What I am saying is depending on the type you are working on there have to be certain boxes checked before you can start moving in the direction of super clear or omg let me off this ride. OMG let me on this ride is where I am at brother so that’s what I think.

2 Likes

From @JoeCrowe’s research, you may want to select for trichome density rather than size.
That is how he selects for hash producers.
But this topic is a bit over my head so that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Good luck with this adventure gents. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Trichome characteristics are definitely something that is inherited. When you talk about the “size” of one, that can refer to the height or cap size. I have seen though, the metabolic process that produces the terpenes and thc can definitely be changed by the environment. The number of trichomes stays the same though.

7 Likes

Kinda like the hairs on our bodies I suppose. Then should a person select for a larger size which has been put forward. Trichome => 100 micro-meters? Do the sizes vary depending on the type that we are working with. Do the better types have larger trichomes or is there no correlation?

3 Likes

I think they are additive and not stable. Each one of these parts has to fit in the other for the right effect, I am throwing things out there to see if it rings a bell for anyone or they see something that will help find another piece of the puzzle.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, it’s all about the number of trichomes as opposed to the size. I’ll explain! We’re talking about a difference of 20-40 micrometers in the cap size, but when you are talking about how tall the trichome is, I’ve seen them go from 100μm up to 13000μm. It makes a difference to the human eye which is pretty useless at seeing things less than 500μm/ half a millimeter. So it’ll look like jack frost came into town when they are 1000μm tall as opposed to 100μm tall the plant looks barren.
So my best hash producer and contest winner has loads of very short small trichomes. Just furry with 'em, but only at a microscopic level. When I ran the number two producer in the contest I got my ass handed to me by motherfuckers.
I’ve located a really good test subject that will generate a large signal above noise for the trichome cap size. Within a few months I’ll have a definitive answer backed up with photographic evidence. The trichome cap in question was a whopping 184μm in diameter! Trichomes with more width than the height of the trichomes on my best producer. lol! Talk about signal! Ahem.

8 Likes