Crohn's / IBS Autoflower strain for my step mom

I had a look around and obviously people find cannabis helps with Crohn’s and other IBS / inflammatory issues. My step mom has been kind enough to let me try a few in her garden, she suffers from Crohn’s / IBS and it would be nice to give her a plant targeted to her issues.

Please could people post their best experiences with particularly good autoflowers for the above. Thanks and admins if this already exists please don’t hesitate to remove and point me in the right direction

5 Likes

I should mention the autoflower requirement as it’s all that will grow here, unless I could make my own by crossing a photo

2 Likes

eating RSO is generally the treatment ive seen. i have many issues with inflammation and maintaining hunger/stomach pains but have never been diagnosed with anything for it. i have always found kush strains to help the most, mainly the afghani/hindu/bubba expressions. for this reason i got some Purple Queen clones for this season, and the breeder they came from does offer them in auto seed form.
my best anti-inflammatory strains to date:

1. obama kush
  2. royal purple kush
  3. purple gsc - this one had an insanely high terp content that was nearly identical to Tuna which i think is a hindu pheno
  4. many pks (many of them probably hindu seeds with purple phenos)
  5. multiple bubbas - couldnt tell you which ones did best
    i found OGs to provide a very immediate pain relief but less of the medical beneficial effects that the afghani/hindu lines did.
7 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply mate I’ll give her a go on a kush, not something we really get round my ways so I doubt she’s had much kush. I know any and all weed helps her, but to find something that’s better would be really ace

4 Likes

the sense of calmness that comes from those hindu blends is its own medicine, in RSO form i think it would be less overwhelming than most other strains.
cookies mixes are just designer drugs (the purple gsc was a rare one).
imho the incense smell that lingers after use with hindu afghanis has its own calming effect like some get with real incense, this could be just me though.
as im sure you know they are very short stocky plants, easier to hide outdoors.
i have the utmost respect for those who put the work in to take care of their elders.

2 Likes

You don’t need to make RSO per say, I decarb my dried crumbled cannabis dry in a pot that is floating on top of a slightly bigger pot with gently boiling water for 2 hours. Cover the small pot with its lid.

For a more wide spectrum array of cannabinoids you can cook it for 1 hr 11 mins, take half out and let the other half go until 2 hrs 22 mins. It’s a slightly different more balanced effect.

Eat half a teaspoon of each batch, or as much as necessary each morning before breakfast and you’ll be good for at least 8 hours. The fibers make it slow release, so it’s not as overwhelming as RSO can be, and you don’t need any alcohol.

I would also advise her to add oyster mushrooms to her diet, several times a week.

No alcohol or coffee whatsoever. Mint and nettle tea instead, I mix them together.

5 Likes

My wife has acid reflux and really bad nausea. I found an auto strain called Nurple by Magic Strains that really helps settle her stomach and just knocks the nausea out. There’s three phenotypes and the purple bud one seems to work the best. They’re out of stock right now at the breeders web site

DC Seed Exchange also carries it but I’m not sure if he has any in stock or not.
Hope this helps her, stomach issues suck!

2 Likes

Ooo I like this idea I’ll make up a batch with the buds I’ve already got and see if it helps Vs smoking or in addition to I should say.
I’m sure she likes mushrooms :thinking: I’ll mention it to her

2 Likes

A nice Hindu smoke in the evening with the TV on I’m sure that’ll have a great effect in itself, better than the smell of stardawg anyway I’m sure :grin:

2 Likes

Seems to be a theme here with the purple phenos giving good relief, my dad has acid reflux and I know what a daily struggle that can be. He won’t touch the marijuana’s but I’m sure it would help, omeprozole can’t be good when taken daily for 30 years

1 Like

I’d have to agree. I just got a Purple Punch clone and I’m hoping something in the purple strains makeup is what helps. I think it’s called anthocyanin if I’m not mistaken that is heavy in the purple Strains. Getting ready to flip it next week so I’ll know this fall.

1 Like

Good idea!

It’s apples and oranges compared to smoking, it’s delta-9-THC (smoking) vs 11-hydroxy-THC (eating), the latter is a more advanced molecule and much more soothing in my experience.

Regarding mushrooms I’d stick to oyster mushrooms, they don’t recommend other species for IBS as it could make it worse. Oyster mushrooms are absolutely amazing when it comes to digestion along with mint.
Also mint helps the body stay cool during hot weather, same goes for curcuma (turmeric).

And the nettle tea is soothing, natural anti-histamine, provides stuff the body makes serotonin (mood stabilizer) with, etc.

2 Likes

Thankyou @Rogue I’ll definitely make some up for her and her garden is full of nettles anyway and other things to make herbal teas.

Thankyou everyone for your insight I’ll read these to her and post the results

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to know the results, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Hi Sense, I’m sorry your mum is in poor health, you don’t mention where the disease is manifesting. Crohns can strike anywhere in the digestive system as you also mentioned IBS I have assumed it’s gut related.

I have suffered with IBD & IBS for over 10 years, I haven’t found any weed strain that impacted my gut inflammation and IBD is a lesser disease than crohns as it only effects the first layer of tissue.

That said all indica/Indica hybrids help with the symptoms of feeling like shit and reducing the pain, it’s also fabulous for stimulating appetite but it does not stop, reduce or control the inflammatory response in my experience. This stimulation can also be a negative if your disease has flared up and you hit uncontrollable munchie’s. :joy:

I would avoid sativas as they tend to speed things up when your mum needs to rest and relax not rush around.

I have smoked, vaped, eaten and even boofed to no avail.

The best advice I could offer would be to drink kefir daily and eat simple organic non processed foods, non spicy, non fatty foods I used to call this the beige diet. Maintain a good fibre intake using soluble fibre like oats rather the indigestible fibre like bran.

Kefir changed my symptoms dramatically, it is the perfect mix of protein and fat fortified by billions of positive bacteria to aid digestion and assist the immune system.

It helps to repair your gut lining. It’s full of b vitamins and will aid bone density which is important for ladies with the threat of osteoporosis, it also makes your hair and nails grow faster and healthier the things woman give a fuck about in my experience.

It’s low lactose, it can be made at home, it’s cheap and effective and can even be dairy free if you use coconut milk.

I was in pretty bad shape before I started the kefir, I’m 6,1 and at the worst point I weighed in at 49kg, I had to have weekly vitamin injections and other injections to reduce my immune response. I asked the hospital to remove my large bowel as I was so Ill at one point, thankfully they refused to obey.

I’m a healthy 78kg now after three years of steady gains and medicine free, it has been an incredible recovery.

TLDR: having a chronic disease is no joke, smoke to alleviate symptoms, drink kefir to heal the immune system/gut and grow your own organic autos for shits and giggles.

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing @Spliffwizard and welcome to OG!

2 Likes

Fantastic post I’ll be sure to share this with her, it is indeed in the gut and she’s mentioned before the doctors giving the option to remove what I can only assume would be the same as yourself large bowels some years ago. We have kefir quite available here but I know she doesn’t currently have it. I’m glad you made such a recovery and hopefully a story like yours might provoke a little dietary change.
Thankyou so much

She loves gardening and inflammation is quickly making that harder so hopefully the purple autos can help in that regard while a diet change with some thc 11 sorts her gut and appetite out

1 Like

You can also use one of those devices for loose tea 🫖 and put flower in it for a quick fix. :sunglasses::peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Thanks for you kind words Sense, I hope your mum can get back to flourishing.

It’s worth looking at the low fodmap diet for IBS it’s difficult to follow completely but it will give an insight to what can be tolerated and what should be absolutely be avoided.

If you need anything hit me up.

2 Likes

My mom has IBS and follows the Low fodmap diet. I spoke to a Floyd at Hoku and one suggestion was
Doomsday diesel cbd/cbg. She is in her 80’s and I just got her to try vaping cbd. It helps but not very much. Not sure how the Doomsday diesel will turn out or if it will help but I’ll let you know if it helps at all.

2 Likes