Curing in oven bags?

:wave: Wayyyyyyyyy better than jars. Never going back.

Cons: plastic is evil :heavy_check_mark:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

I canā€™t remember offhand, but ill see what I can find out.

1 Like

Thankyou , much appreciated : )
@Deadinside88

I see maybe two cons with the oven bags
1 the smell sometimes leaches thru plastic after a short time , oven bags may be different tho
2 having it all bagged like that ( lots of strains = lots of bags ) thus looking like its all bagged and ready for sale , not a good look for some of us , like scales is another no no
: )

5 Likes

I have my bags inside an old cooler and I can definitely smell weed when I open the lid lol!

4 Likes

oven bagsā€¦ if memory serves thats what was used to send cuts

3 Likes

that is awesome! thanks for sharing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jho0qeTUZnA

here is another video showing the same setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq6C9daGvqs

2 Likes

Velcro wrap for the cure. Nice and tight!

8 Likes

Good idea. I use regular twist ties, but they do come loose. I think I have a roll of velcro somewhere.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure many people would agree that the cure is essential. Makes or breaks it. But i donā€™t think people talk about it enough. So thanks for this thread. One of my fav topics.

we use turkey bags (oven bags) in one phase of curing. Turkey bags are cheap and big and lightweight. but most of all, they donā€™t completely seal like jars, so you donā€™t risk too much moisture coming out too quickly. when youā€™re doing a sizable harvest, you canā€™t always burp everything at exact intervals. slow, long cure is what itā€™s all about. ideally, itā€™s done over many months. but we donā€™t always have the luxury of doing it as long as we would like. but we wonā€™t release anything that hasnā€™t been cured for at least six weeks. first, branches are hung (pretty much whole) until dry (as measured by when a branch snaps, versus bends). then we trim. then flowers are cured in turkey bags (closed by knotting the top) kept loosely in plastic bins. the bags are opened routinely-- often overnight, then re-knotted. lather, rinse, repeat. exact intervals depend on whatever that particular bag of buds calls for. this is done for as long as possibleā€“at least 6 weeks. then we seal.

we do our best to keep the climate right in our dry houses. below are pics from the 2019 harvest.

21 Likes

@lazylightning that is beautiful - amazing work

6 Likes

Hello @lazylightning. I totally agree. Curing is an art form in itā€™s self. Iā€™m always looking for tips on how to improve my drying/curing methods. Had to many great grows go to shit from improper drying and curing. I got some Darling Nikki curing at approximately 62% humidity, and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Open them up nightly for a few minutes. Trying to get them around 58% humidity before I seal them in vac bags for freezer storage. Going on two weeks. Trying to let them cure for at least 4, but my stash is getting low. Awesome pics by the way. Let me know if your hiring lol! Have fiskars, will travel!

6 Likes

thank you! i certainly canā€™t do it alone. iā€™m grateful to the people who have taught me, and who keep teaching me.

5 Likes

We use that system and run the pump once a day for 15 minutes, same as if you are burping jars.

1 Like
8 Likes

A nice idea for large scale curing. I was going to suggest 5-gallon buckets with the gamma lids earlier in this thread, but since Iā€™ve never used it personally I didnā€™t.

That being said, that dudes voice drove me nuts. I felt like he as talking to a toddler. :joy:

6 Likes

:+1: Iā€™d live in there. Like air bnb but better. :smirk:

Does the dirt floor have any effect on things? :thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I wondered that as well, I have seen the same type of drying setup with cedar chips on the floor, or some plastic sheets covered in cedar chips, however it looks like he knows what he is doing for sure

5 Likes

Only on branches that fall :smirk: Iā€™ve seen similar large barn drying on big outdoor guerillas in the Midwest they used big air mover fans to pull air out of the barns

5 Likes

hi @cannabissequoia
airbnb, love thatā€“air bud n bud :slight_smile:
in my mind, the dirt floor is less of a problem than the hoop house over it :wink: we are in an arid area, so humidity isnā€™t much of a problem. during the day, we pull air out with large fans at both the doors. if weā€™re in and out alot, then we just have one fan at the door of one end. at night, we close both doors and have two or three small heaters auto-set to 70 degrees.

2 Likes