Da Lat seed run, Zang!, Lemon Thai

I wanna be a farmer…

Haha! I really do, though. That’s kind of the dream, anyway. Hopefully one day in the not-too-distant future, my girl and I can make that a reality.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. That’s interesting about how you were seeing early necrosis in your old ten- and thirty-gallon pots; I’ve got the same issue in my seven-gallons, using ROLS. Because I recycle and don’t do no-till, I actually do get to see my roots after every grow. I haven’t really noticed an “hourglass”-type thing going on, but I have noticed that the roots don’t ever really get much bigger than they were the day I transplant from my half-gallon veg containers, despite the fact that I always leave them in the flowering pots for 2-3 weeks (or longer) before I flip. It never occurred to me that it might be because of the amount of pumice in my soil.

I need to make a new batch, probably around 45 gallons, pretty soon, on account of the fact that I just tossed six pots after the last grow (aphids). I also only have access to store-bought compost (Bu’s) and EWC. Do you think it’d be a good idea to add less pumice when I mix up the new batch, even though I won’t be using compost I made myself? I also have a couple of 65-gallon bins already sitting in the garage; I’m not gonna pick out a bunch of pumice haha, but I wonder if adding more compost and peat might help for the next grow(s).

9 Likes

I feel you on this. My partner and I talk about buying land and homesteading, all the time.
Maybe you and I can just constantly hype each other up until it’s a reality for us both! :bear::purple_heart:

7 Likes

We were kinda gearing up to buy a little land further north in the next five years or so, like Central Coast area, maybe even farther, but then it became obvious that those massive wildfires are just gonna be a yearly occurrence now. So we’re not sure where we’d go. We love CA, don’t really wanna leave, unless it’s to a different country.

I’ll still hype you up, though haha.

5 Likes

Oooo some sweet dirt happenings here! Great vibes, excellent info, awesome carts, and Dalat on top!! Props to you and best of luck growing forward @growingforflavor

5 Likes

This is interesting, maybe in a similar way that our brains use only a fraction of their potential capabilities.

Does the ability to adapt to various circumstances come from this vast store of genetic potential? The majority of which is laying dormant until the conditions change and give rise to new genetic expressions.

Nature brings the stress and causes adaptation, the plant responds by growing various terpenes and cannabinoids to protect its young. Change enough of the conditions and the expression adapts as well. But, how quickly does this happen?

3 Likes

You’re probably right about that. I always start seeds in those little three-inch “starter pot” things. After about thirty days, I’ll move them into the half-gallon veg containers until they show sex, which usually takes another two or three weeks, by which point, yeah, they’re pretty much rootbound. Maybe I’ll just start them in the half-gallon pots. Or maybe I’ll just move every single start directly from the starter pots to the seven-gallon containers and wait for them to show sex in those, remove accordingly etc. Guess I’m gonna have to buy more air pots haha…

I think I’m gonna try out this “less pumice” thing, too, when I mix up the new batch. It makes sense to me.

So you don’t know the sex before you put them in the beds? That’s why I do the whole “starter pot/half-gallon pot/seven-gallon pot” thing, is just to determine sex before I put them in their flowering containers.

Anyway, sorry to derail. I ask a lot of questions on most everybody’s threads that I follow. Just a thing I do haha. Plus, I love talking about growing, so…

5 Likes

Have you considered going to 1 gals for veg? @minitiger I dont seem to have any issues sexing in a 1 gal and transplanting from there. I imagine space is a minor issue.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have. I actually tried to find some at the local gardening centers, hydro shops, Home Depot and Lowe’s before this last run, but none of them had them. I went to eight or nine different places. I dunno if it was the whole supply chain thing or what, but they were all outta them. And I won’t order anything from Amazon, so… I’ll look around again before the next grow, probably be able to find some then. If not, I’ll just order them from a gardening center as close to LA as I can find.

What’s weird is that the starts get pretty rootbound in those little three-inch starter pot things after thirty days, but the roots grow fine and very quickly once I transplant them into the half-gallon containers. It’s only after I get them into their seven-gallon pots that root growth seems to just completely stop. I dunno what that’s about. I’ve even tried the “scratch” method, where you kinda cut up the roots during transplant, the last few grows, but it hasn’t seemed to help. I dunno.

3 Likes

yeah, when I was young the guys (one was family) coming home from Vietnam, that could talk, regarded about how beautiful it was, were the WAR was not taking place.

regards,

4 Likes

Nahhhhh… I like to give them a minimum of sixty days before I flip, no matter the strain. In fact, last grow I vegged some Bandaid Hazes and Colombian Gold x Dragon Energies for 67 days haha. Let the plants reach sexual maturity and all that. I’m not real big on the idea of short periods of 12/12 to determine sex and then flipping back to veg, either. I dunno, I just like to keep everything as “natural” as possible.

I have been having big-time issues with horrible M:F ratios, though, for at least the last three years. Luck of the draw with regular seeds, I guess. It doesn’t bother me too too much, but it has been getting a little annoying the last couple grows haha. I think I planted 27 or 28 seeds total this last run and only ended up with eight females. What can you do?

I may start sending in leaf samples and getting them tested for sex, to one of those labs or whatever, but I’m not sure. Those tests are kinda spendy…

6 Likes

Well, but maybe the stress adaptation makes them less potent too, I’m just considering that it may have an impact…I don’t think it’s a guarantee to make stronger weed by stressing out your plants, though sometimes I do try, lol😂

I thinks it’s both and, and not one or the other. We want healthy grown crops to produce the best product, I agree 100

4 Likes

https://www.bghydro.com/

Based in Pasadena. I usually get all of my pots from them, as well as hydro equipment and some amendments and such. Have you tried them?

2 Likes

I came across them right at the beginning of the quarantining, when I needed to order some stakes, but they were all out of them (everybody was out of everything, remember that? People buying all the toilet paper and shit, what a mess…). Pasadena’s kind of a hike, but if none of the places near me have any, I may drive out there, probably the next time I need a haircut; the chick who cuts my hair is out there. Thanks!

3 Likes

looking good!

1 Like

Oh baby, that emerald green POPS! :seedling::shamrock::green_heart::leafy_green:

1 Like

Pretty sure these are longer flowering if they are the same thing @YoBigdaddy and @Pheno_fiend grew. Seeded they finish quicker. If they only flower 12 to 16 weeks for sure I might have to pop a few of those myself. Beautiful landrace! Nice to see some of them grown.
The #5 wants less nitrogen/ fertilizer, thus the cupping. Looking good🤗

9 Likes

Hell of a run you’ve got here! I’m going to be keeping my eye on this thread, this is an exciting combo of genetics you’re working with mashing up.

6 Likes

Nice! I was just thinking about this grow yesterday, realized you hadn’t updated in a while. Those Da Lats look pretty awesome. Very “prehistoric” haha, with the huge fan leaves and all. I mean, they all look awesome, but I’m digging those Da Lats especially.

Is that the ACDC/A5Thai cross? I don’t think I realized you had planted that one. I got some of those as freebies from Doc a while back, never really been interested in growing any CBD stuff, but that one sounded really interesting, with the A5Thai male and all. Pretty curious to see how that one turns out for you.

4 Likes

Yeah, hopefully that’ll get worked out. I guess that’s a risk you run with those sorta landrace-type plants? Especially Vietnamese stuff, right? Isn’t that like one of the things people always mention, that most of those SE Asian-type genetics have a proclivity for herming? I thought about planting some of Bodhi’s Zap seeds this round, the Oaxacan/Vietnamese/Thai cross, but decided I’d wait until either the fall or winter grow. I’m not really worried about them herming; I just thought it’d be good summertime smoke haha, which is why I didn’t plant them last week. I don’t think they’d be ready until this summer is pretty much over.

Thought about you when I was planting the new starts, actually. I mixed up some new soil about a month ago, went heavy on the biochar and light on the pumice, gonna be mixing that new soil mix with the old aeration-heavy mix as I transplant and see how it does. I’m pretty excited about it, actually haha.

7 Likes

No till in the five-gallon pots? Or just using the soil mix in five-gallon pots for one grow? If you determine that no till is doable in smaller pots, I’ll be stooooooked haha. That’s, like, the only reason I haven’t switched to no till yet (and probably never will), just because I don’t like the idea of not being able to take the plants out and examine them, check closely for herms, move them around so each plant gets an equal amount of light etc etc.

Yeah, that dude seems alright… haha.

2 Likes