Da Lat seed run, Zang!, Lemon Thai

@ClassicGenetix sent me Da Lat seeds from @YoBigdaddy so I could run them to produce more seeds. We started with 7 seeds, 5 successfully germinated. Provided we have males and females, the hope is to allow them to pollinate and also cross to Zang! (Vietnam Black (164 kiona cut) x A5 Haze/Thai bx) and Lemon Thai F5 from Doc D. I’ve also got some of the pollen from 10 males collected by @YoBigdaddy that I’ll throw in the mix.

These are from seeds that were collected by a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam War who returned in 2004 to find the farm off which he had the most amazing high of his life during the war. The seeds he collected wound up with Snowhigh and he produced a few packs, which OG members acquired and reproduced. Snowhigh now has some crosses from Da Lat on his menu, which suggests there’s special stuff in these genes.

From my reading of the thread, this will be a 3rd generation reproduction from Snowhigh’s seeds.

Germinated February 10th, the 5 were transplanted into 2x 100 gallon beds, 3 plants in one bed, 2 plants in the other. The Zang! and Lemon Thai will each get their own 100 gallon bed. I have a perpetual flower room, so these beds are on wheels and will be transported to begin flower in about a month.

The Zang! and Lemon Thai were germinated about 10 days earlier, so they’re ahead and have not yet gone into 100s.

These are the bed stands that I build to make 100s mobile. They are built to 29" wide, but the beds are 36" diameter cylinders when filled, so the walls on two sides allow me to squish the bed into an oval shape so that I can roll it through 29" wide doorways.

Things often go wrong, so here’s hoping for a clean run with abundantly healthy plants.

65 Likes

Got me interested, that’s for sure!

9 Likes

I second that @Floyd! This sounds highly interesting! Nice @growingforflavor!

7 Likes

Hot fire!:fire: Everything looks great man, I’m so jealous of those massive no-till beds you’ve got. Everything looks super healthy and those Zang and Lemon Thai are growing up quick. I just picked up the VB x Lemon Thai from Doc D, so if you hit yours with any Dalat pollen, it would be fun comparing them.

Glad to have you here, your work is always impressive and worthy of sharing, and this is a great community.

8 Likes

Good luck on your grow!
I’ll follow along

4 Likes

Stoked to get to watch a Da Lat grow as it happens! :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Pulling up a chair for this one! :+1: :sunglasses:

I love old strains!!

Cheers
G

6 Likes

You know I’ll be sitting in the corner watching this one. I’m really digging that 100 gallon pot. I am curious to see how they do in a hundred gallon pot able to really expand they should be Giants

7 Likes

Careful with that pollen when growing in 100-gallon pots! Ever see a seed tsunami?

6 Likes

I read the “hunting unicorns” thread, and was super interested; I’m amped to see this next evolution of the story!
I bless this grow with the headiest of Heady Bear vibes!

11 Likes

Looks like a really great / fun project. I was in Da Lat, Vietnam just before travel became impossible. A really wonderfully beautiful area, away from the oppressive heat at lower elevations.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing this perspective. It’s definitely a paradigm shift from many current approaches to breeding. :thinking:

4 Likes

nice nice. my SE Asians accepted or even liked excess Amounts of Water.

5 Likes

Nice to see some of these grown out. :ok_hand: kick some ass brother and welcome to OG!

5 Likes

Oh my wowzers. A Dalat grow?!?! And you’re doing it for seeds too??? This just became my favorite grow-show on OverGrow.

This is something unique that I’ve wanted to see since forever. I remember a High Times strain guide “bible” written by Jorge Cervantes, and when I got to the entry for Dalat I thought “What a strange looking bud”. Ever since that moment I’ve wanted to see this cultivar in action. Being more familiar with narrow-leaf varietals all these years later, the flower structure isn’t as strange looking to me now, but that doesn’t diminish my interest in seeing this plant grow.

Sending good energy and vibrations your way. Thank you for taking the time to share this journey with all of us. Those 100 gallon beds look freakin awesome, by the way. It would be neat to see your process for building one completely, after seeing your roller carts under them.

Looking forward to the grow! :blush:

15 Likes

Awesome! This is definitely one to watch! Thanks for this

1 Like

Really cool project! I’m going to hang around and watch.

2 Likes

Awesome!
:popcorn:

@growingforflavor
How many weeks of flowering are you expecting?

2 Likes

It’s an honor to grow these and it’s only possible thanks to many growers here who collaborated to preserve and spread the seeds. Getting to share the grow with all of you who have a personal connection to this region is an extra privilege, I just hope to do it justice. :pray:

9 Likes

I’m definitely following this grow, super-curious how those Zang! and Da Lat plants turn out.

Just outta curiosity, is there any particular reason you use such a small ratio of aeration to, uh, everything else? I’ve always read that it should be a 1:1:1 ratio of peat, compost/vermicompost and aeration. I’m not questioning at all, but I am genuinely curious. Is it because the worms in the soil will basically keep the soil “aerated” in lieu of the lava rock? Also, I notice you forgo the usual neem/kelp/gypsum/etc etc amendments, is that because the compost you’re using already contains significant amounts of those things or…?

3 Likes