Dankmaster’s Old School Pine Genetics workshop/log

Very interesting…it cured some. As I get down into it, I’m picking up menthally-Vick’s notes. One hit expanded and I could feel that menthol. My eyes popped a bit how strong it was, so I think this is it. Definitely not disappointed or questionable. I’ll tell you I could definitely keep smoking more of that! :yum:

3 Likes

That ought to make a few seeds at least

Well there it is, collected, cleaned and vac sealed w a few rice grains

A and C are the only ones shedding pollen. B is dropping its sacks whole every time I tap it. Very few open. Looks like some are shriveled and dying. So the environmental stress is playing a role here. This is why I like doing this, the plant eliminated itself even though it showed promising potential before starting. Being in its normal grow environment it may have shed pollen as normal, but I wouldn’t know it’s hardiness to stress that way. Plants hardy to stress factors adapt to the change. I think that’s important in selection.

I’m 6 clones away from starting next run to getting the first pollination underway…

17 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very unusual confirmation. I told ya about the seedling that fooled me. Well check this out. This plant is re-vegging covered in trichs. Now this is the best fucking part, mossy pine gas. I smell IT just like I remember so distinctly. The BS about being slang is OVER. The Tampa Crippy will be the benchmark to the other claimed Crippy seeds from 808, Purple Caper and Shoreline genetics.

I WILL be able to tell who’s real and who’s not going forward. I’m very excited for the cross now. I thought I would have to wait until Feb to say any definitive confirmation, but because this plant got triggered longer and put back to veg, some of that flowering continued and even early trich production is HEAVY. My finger tips are like glue sticking to each other. I think the next crop is going to have a lot of attention. The current one, even thought I need supply was a test drive and now I can dial in the one that’s going to be the showcase.

I most likely will square Crippy x Xmas to be my own reworked version of the strain complex in terpenes, wood, spice, gas and pine but not overpowering. Blended in WITH pine staying pronounced. I’m only days away from starting the crop. I need 2 clones to root (I feel like Ric Flair)

17 Likes

bring on the icky sticky crippy!

so you can just tell this is the real deal because of the re-veg? i’m not sure i completely understand but you seem confident you found her and i’m so pumped for you brother! can’t wait to see what else you can do with these genetics!

2 Likes

@Phil_Bombs Yes, I know it seems strange, but for almost a week more it went under the natural photoperiod causing it to go into full bloom in my bathroom. Even though I pulled it out once I saw more pistils to begin re-vegging, it kept flowering under the 18/6 and I know re-veg goes 2-3 weeks at least. I only noticed tonight the porous look on leaves, and I was like WTH. Then I saw the coating and decided to pinch and smell. We only needed some trich production to finally release the odors. The runt has little smell and pales for trich’s. So I can’t tell w it. This one is far better, thus the odor is stronger. This probably went close to the 3rd week, even though 18/6 cycle. So the delay to revert allowed the trich’s to produce enough to get a strong enough odor. Once it reverts the smell will go back to your greenish basic since the trich’s are turned off. So now you can see how I was able to get a glimpse almost fully flowering but interrupted to go back to growing.

I also want to add, I have multiple strainbase submissions that were compiled after I left growing. So my reviews of strains like AK47, Kail Mist, Fig Widow, G13 if not accurate Baludaire wouldn’t have made them part of his compendium :wink: I’ll stake my rep on this too!

7 Likes

wow very nice to see, Great job @OriginalDankmaster96

2 Likes

Locked in for this. I spent a major portion of my life in FL. Crippy was widely used for good trees. Unless it was purchased from a reputable grower. We did get some Georgia Pine from time to time. Smelled just like a Christmas tree… Xmas bud was always another label people used for marketing, it’s hard to land any real answers. Florida has a zero drug tolerance, and it’s posted everywhere. I think we as artist have a better chance of recreating what we had, than to actually pinpoint the genetics. I could be wrong though! Best of luck and thanks for everything you contributed on 1.0! Glad to have ya back bud!

2 Likes

Thanks @blendmedmedman, for me this all learning too. Unraveling something I was only smoking and not growing, hasn’t been easy to figure out…but I think I’m close to the link.

@OGSince03 Thanks, and yes I think you’re right. For me it’s knowing the family tree. If we know which landrace of origin I think this helps us define it

Now I’ve been doing reading and researching. I’ve read the Matt Berger story to see how it inter links w Krippy. The fact the name isn’t related to Hindu Kush tells me it isn’t Kush. At least from what I know we’ll say from late 80’s and early 90’s cannabis breeding was in it’s infancy. There weren’t 100s of hybrids, so I have to look at basic strains that were around, Skunk, Northern Lights, Haze, Afghani. Ruling out sativa’s takes out two. So my attention is on Afghani-Pakistani origin. Pine Tar Kush is from Pakistani Indica. I think this is where it gets INTERESTING

When looking into the history of Northern Lights, this part caught me

Blockquote

The original Northern Lights plants were described to be true breeding Afghanis with extreme indica characteristics. They were dark green in color and very stable, with a high flower to leaf ratio while sporting a piney taste and purple hues in flowering. They were also known to be highly resinous

Blockquote

I did say very early it looks like NL when the first true leaf opened.

I suspect Krippy is the older NL generations but a selected phenotype of the strain, which leads me say @Hunter you’re right, it’s NL#1 - NL#2 family. So Tampa Crippy must be of that family. I don’t believe OG’s are part of the original. So I think I can safely say it’s been the old NL before #5. Weigh in w your thoughts, especially those living in FL from circa 89-94’

5 Likes

I was able to find this but who knows how true it is.
Florida OG, aka Crippy or Ocean Grown, is the creation of DNA Genetics in Amsterdam. Several sources claim this is the original OG Kush strain from which all OG Kush genetics spring, the OG of OGs. It’s a phenotype borne of crossing Chemdawg with a mix of Lemon Thai and Hindu Kush Pakistan.

The top reported aromas of Florida OG are tropical fruit, earth, and pine. And it is said to taste similar.

@darkillusion The OG timeline doesn’t fit. It only started 91 when Krippy was already around, it’s NL from The Seed Bank of Neville. It is before #5, most likely 1 and 2.

7 Likes

You could be quite right, as I said who knows how true it is. You do make a very good case for Crippy being of NL decent.

1 Like

At the very least, I believe the Hindu region is the landrace of origin

3 Likes

That I do agree with 100%, but I still believe kush genetics were added to make this strain. I only say that because yes in the 80-90s there was not 100s of hybrids out there and most strains were the “mother strains” that made the hybrids we enjoy today. Skunk, Northern Lights, Haze, Afghani were around back then but so was Kush. Hindu Kush was brought to the US in the late 70s. Maybe it is a NL x Hindu Kush cross?

2 Likes

@darkillusion That thought has crossed my mind several times thinking about it all. I’m actually glad you brought that up. It very well could be a cross of the older northern lights and Kush

3 Likes

NL#2 x Kush4 (Hindu Kush) made by Nevil.

4 Likes

Thank you was not aware of that.

Arguably NL2 is a Hindu Kush , NL1 is Afghani . #2 is known for being piney .

4 Likes

Where would you find the real earthy pine funk?

This is fascinating. Keep on brother.

2 Likes

OG Kush is very pine forward. I found earthier, pinier, less diesel-y plants in Triangle Kush x 88G13HP. I’d start there.

Golden Goat is quite piney. But not earthy.

But, I’ve never found a “pure pine” plant.

One guy said he found it in Pine Tar Kush, but I’ve never ran any.

4 Likes