Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

I’ll compile what I can put it together in a format send it to him to see if he approves it to be circulated other than that it would be up to him. The way he speaks if he taught a class he speech for the Layman and yet I understand he speaks in a somewhat scientific term that I understand and I’m not a genius or anything but I almost have a photographic memory. But I can start compiling and organizing I truly believe if plants are trained right they don’t need to be 10-foot tall to gain I scrap just need right nutrients light like he said and the perfect amount of medium. I’m using canvas pots they’re good but they have to be fully watered I didn’t know that and I burn my plans because I was only partially watering and salts were building up I believe but they’ve grown out of it anyway I’ll drop what I got when I got it if it’s cool and only if it’s cool

2 Likes

Day 28

A Lot of flopping, nudging, tucking, and some accidental node removal, coupled to regrowth has happened in the last 3 days.

First my canopies needed adjustment as they were stretching and filling the space, so i have a decent base formed for them now, which i’ll adjust and tweak as i go along. They are transitioning into bud building now so ill keep that going.

The right side of the left cabinet had started to go too dry between waterings yesterday so they got a bit longer watering duration of 7sec and are now watered every 2.5hrs, water pass through of the pot has slowed due to roots filling it out, so to prevent overflow and add extra water space, i knocked off all the top loose layer that that would just make a mess if it overflowed as it didn’t have any roots holding it in place. so that’s all they get root space wise, they will still work at filling out what’s in place though.

The right side cab, the plant on the back left wants to be a beast but its working with the space it was given, saying that i gave it a bit more room by removing the fuzz the was in front of it this also give me some space for the solo cup plant im prerunning some of @toastyjakes plants with, im doing that to help work out a hand watering routine or method that will be effective and possibly a good base point for others to try if they want. With how im thinking it will be pretty straight forward in the end, and i’ll be trying to keep it to two waterings max in a day such as before and after work, and will train and only allow this plant to go as big as two waterings will provide.

14 Likes

They were looking quite nice and dense, but there not quite ready to leave alone, as they are overlapping quite heavily and still growing quickly.

So along came the weed wacker, being me lol

This is just to shape and select the shoots that i want to make buds, stripping out the lower nodes that were getting shaded plus the lower overlapping and or inward pointing leaves that are covering bud site were removed, the stem of various tops were also crushed and “flopped” some were redone, some i tweaked the rotation of or having them fall in a certain direction to fill spaces that didn’t have budsites. The goal for me is to have everything set to be on an almost even plane, some plants need more work than others but this is where you can fine tune things before buds start to set, as the plant is still growing quick. Bonus is doing all this also allows a bit more airflow around the tops of the pots, which brings down the humidity levels and makes it harder for other issues to surface such as mold.

Like so ;), not concerned and or worried, cool shot though, was spritzed with some h202 and that pot has some more airflow along the surface due to some leaf removal.

Just watch in two days its will be packed again but the buds that are starting to build alongside the leaf growth.

14 Likes

Day 29 Shaping… and uncertainty everytime.

Left side i did a swap around and moved the front green to the back left corner, and everything got adjusted. Now we can see everything better. Shaping wise im probably set now.

I have some uncertainty though and typically always do at this point, as your half way through, and everything is getting set in such as root space, feed levels, watering, cabinet fill out, full on autopilot switch over point, as it’s up to them and what you have done so far. And you figure 4-5weeks left , with small starting bud sizes, and being a bit longer in days compared to past grows, and uncertainty that your containers will be too small for getting good buds or end up being too big and still may get out of hand and create a larfy jungle, and going over in ones mind what can be changed to make things better or easier on the next round.

All while still not knowing how it will end up as your not far enough along to know yet…

Right side also did some shuffling and a bunch of flopping, the now back right plant will get flipped 180 degrees in a day or so i figure, i just needed a wall to support one shoot that i mangled, and bonus this will help kick up the current edge we see which will become the back, or so im hoping and adjusting to do anyways. I put the solo in front of the fan, as it just gives clearance for the fan for longer, i may need to have a higher fan mounting point setup wise…

12 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, in your experience, what is the relationship between container size and the size/larfiness if the plant? If the latter was the function of the former, what would it look like?

I am trying to decide if it is worth it to find the minimum sufficient container size for my style of growing to save on pruning/trimming time, and on substrate; sort of let the plants limit themselves in veg. Not sure how much the roots grow in flower either… do you think it would be of benefit to the overall process with photos, or is oversizing the pot like most of us do the best?

4 Likes

It’s more container size dictating how big a plant can be coupled to if your space is too small to support it, as in my experience larfiness is a byproduct from having a very thick canopy which is usually from “too large” plants which have a root system that is fueling more growth than what a space can handle this causes the plant to keep going causing a lot of earlier growth to get outpaced and left below the lowest point that gets direct light, buds and stalks just stretch out under that as they just want that light too and are trying what they can to get it.

That typically happens first from planting to densely or say vegging too long before switching to flower but can also happens when your light intensity drops say from raising of lights, to having a canopy become denser from growth which will absorb more light leaving less for the lowers, or high height discrepancies between top most and bottom most buds causing the same.

As for photos it’s just more timing, and oversizing pots is just typically about having a bigger buffer room between waterings, if your automated its very easy to go to smaller pots, but a plant will only become as big as its weakest link. Saying that photos typically are still in full root growth mode well into 3-4+weeks of flower, its once your start to see bud set and the plants starting to switch over to bud build mode that root growth seems to slows but it also doesn’t stop, that plant is just focusing on other things as its priority.

Like if one can reduce their pot size or say number of plants and are able to time things so their space is filled by week 4ish+ of flower or that’s when their pots are fully saturated with roots then they’re probably gonna be in pretty good shape. Like your tents for example where your running eight pots, i wouldn’t hesitate myself to probably run only 4 in the same space, id be freaking a little wondering if i could fill the space but im sure i could, but again thats with adequate watering and timing and some light training “flopping and tucking” to make things even, and to keep that veg mode roaring into flower i possibly even limit the veg period of say 3-5weeks, but again that all depends, really in my mind the more i have to prune, the more ive miscalculated something , training though is just more about shaping a plant for more efficiency but the less of either i have to do the better,

9 Likes

Thanks @Mr.Sparkle; super informative. I may try 4 plants on the run after next, but as you have stated have to automate feeding first since I have to be able to leave them for at least 3 days.

I bought a 12k BTU AC on craigslist for 80 bucks, and already have co2 in my homebrewing supply, so a rebuild and more automation is in the future.

Cheers,
HH

2 Likes

some blumats could fit the bill easily, and all you would need is a raised reservoir to create some pressure, something to look into.

3 Likes

Day 30

Well they are back at it, i have a feeling im gonna be knocking them over at least once more if they continue to stretch, but two conclusions from today, First is i think i can tell the differences between the pollen donor parents, or at least im gonna lump them together that way, as certain things seem to ring true, so the short stubby plants with a higher proponency for mutants smaller growth and color leach into the leaves will be from the Beyonce pollen donor, all your more stretched out vigorous typically greener phenos will be from the Rue Paul donor, with mutants percentages mixed in depending on the mother "ATM mainly in my case but higher percentage in the Dark sparks as well.

And the other is Regular Coco "Canna is out performing the chunkier coco unquestionably, every pot phenos accounted the chunkier stuff just isn’t as good.

Plugged chunky coco root mass

Vs Regular Canna Coco, you can tell where the chunky bottom was filled too.

15 Likes

Interesting results with the coco. I frankly would have expected the opposite. I’ve been wanting to check out the chunkier stuff myself for quite some time, so I’ve been watching your posts on the subject with great interest.

Have you tried coco with rice hulls? I did once and had a great cycle, but once is not exactly significant.

3 Likes

No i haven’t tried a mix with rice hulls yet, and as for the chunky stuff just to note this is also just my results with the stuff i could get easily, how things may grow in say the growit croutons would be different but in any drastic difference i don’t think so, its just how the roots navigate or push through your media particles.

6 Likes

Greetings @Mr.Sparkle. Hope you’re doing well. Is this the mutant Dark Star you speak of?

:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Yes sir, that there is the crinkle leaf mutation that got in.

Id pull and drop some of the green pheno seeds, but looks healthy for what it is lol.

5 Likes

Day 31

They didn’t listen, so the weed wacker came out again and brutally this time, just goes to show you what happens when you underestimate pot size even in my case.

I was liking how everything was settling in but well crap… the smaller purple leaf leaching ones are gonna be done sooner than the others and they don’t take flopping as well, just weaker plants, but i didn’t touch them much, the others though that’s a different story…

Left side Before

After

Right side Before

After

Again we will see in a day or two

18 Likes

Some times you need to be cruel to be kind.
Will you tie any tops down?? Or just let them right them selfs again??

Cheers Johnny

3 Likes

I’ll let them right themselves, usually when i have to really tame things like above when i pinch the stems and flop over tops i’m usually pretty aggressive in that an inch or two of the stem will munched and half the time split vertically just out of happen chance as i kinda roll the stems radius point think like a slinky or cord/rope held between two hands with one going up and other down or visa versa, it causes that radius point to be at any point over a section of stalk vs just one point.

Doing so just makes the plant take a couple extra days to right itself and repair/build some strength back and usually when it does it’s not going straight up but sideways for a bit with just the tip curved up, whereas say a simple flop they can be back pointing up in a couple hrs if not tied down.

Sometimes though i’m a little to aggressive and i’ll need to support those stems against other plants, walls, or some other sort of prop “example the two tops propped on the yogurt cup on the right side cab”, but usually in two or so days they are good enough to support their own weight, so long as they are still decently early into flower.

10 Likes

I thought so. @Mr.Sparkle Somehow I feel lucky to have it lol! I’m gonna grow it out and see how she rolls. I’ve got 2 more Dark Sparkes that are healthy and happy. Along with some of @ReikoX UV. The Green pheno it is sir. I’ll be baptizing the little warriors tonight. RESPECT!

:cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Day 31

There taking a bit longer to recover from the brutality i gave them, but we will see how they do over the weekend. Won’t be updating till probably monday.

Filled the reservoirs but didn’t check their leftover readings or even gave them a clean, so we will see. Also took out the solo cup, it was a little rough due to transplanting twice and being longer along than it should.

New plan after im back from this weekend is i’ll be starting a bunch of new seeds of the older f2’s and will be able to run some of them out to get some pollen off them, then i’ll be taking a hiatus from growing for probably about 6 weeks just due to some holidays that kinda throw some extended time i’ll be away in there, as id prefer not to have anything running alone for 7-10+ days…

So we will see what happens.

12 Likes

I cut 2 dark sparks last night… I now present, for your viewing pleasure… Dark Sparks by @Mr.Sparkle!!

Color variation in dark purple and the greener, lavender finish

Uppy closeys

Mr. Sparkle back at it again with the killer plants! Thanks again sir!

23 Likes

Damn that looks tasty :yum:

4 Likes