Day length and the start of Flowering

I agree with OP latitude should be provided if any sort of timelines are provided

5 Likes

Starting to wonder what you’re after then

2 Likes

I think I need to start using emojis to make my posts more understandable :thinking:. Next time I make a joke I will use this :smile: if its a very good joke I will use this :rofl: and we can all laugh together.

3 Likes

Who is the Breeder/Seller of this Green Headband I only found it as pure Autoflowering?

1 Like

Mark from strainly you can find him here as well

1 Like

Heh, don’t need to say more than that
 “green headband” sure

3 Likes

be the best way

2 Likes

Sorry I’m confused? I don’t know how to find this breeder, and haven’t searched I thought he was well known and could be found. My mistake for Any vagueness.

3 Likes

I think this is his handle calibest420seeds

1 Like

@misterbee got any of those semi autos I despise. But this dudes looking for from mark??? Trying to help someone out brother. Also not hitting the nail on the head on finding this for them. Thanks friend.

Mark from strainly is the guy selling $1 beans of clone-only cuts, autos that aren’t auto, photos that aren’t photos, etc.

Like alleged LA Confidential beans. that’s a clone only cut, so how you got beans? And for a $1 each? Likely not legit is what I’m saying

4 Likes

O ok my mistake. I got some in a trade that were semi autos I hated them l. He was looking for them, that’s all I’ve heard of them so I spoke up

2 Likes

interesting topic and ironically, something I am currently documenting in my greenhouse notes.
Around here at nearing 52N/3000ft elevation, I generally do light dep and my plants would be 4 weeks from harvest right now. This year I went full season and it’s a huge gamble as we never know what september weather will bring. Could be snow in september here on a bad year.
So I am watching my plants behavior closely as I get closer to the 16th of august which in the past was a clear trigger point. In the past week I have seen nearly every plant in the greenhouse showing preflowers and stretch while the tops are tightening up
 a sure sign that hormones are being redistributed in the plant as it stages for flowering.
For me, as a grower and a breeder, this topic is something I have a keen interest in. If I can grow certain lines and know that they will start to flower at 16 hours I would have no issue passing that knowledge on to someone with those seeds.
In the grow room we don’t ramp our light schedule up or down like the seasons do, we have a set trigger point from Veg hours to 12/12 and so the pre flower stage that occurs outside doesn’t happen indoors. So the outdoor flowering begins over a period of a couple weeks before a grower can visualize flowers forming but they will see the plants stretching as new preflowers become visible at all the nodes. Here I won’t see a natural 12/12 schedule outside until 2/3 of the way thru september so knowing that trigger time in my area is crucial for developing seed that will grow to harvest here. So this year I am watching close to see what strains are triggering as I get closer to august 16th. Plants that don’t trigger in time, will not be candidates for outdoor here without light dep.

4 Likes

I think its such an important trait for the plant an it isn’t really talked about in detail beyond “flowering early”. For a lot of traits breeders give us exact numbers and units but it can’t be done for this one? I don’t think so. I have asked three companies know about day length and initiation of flowering and one has answered they are not able to run enough trials under different conditions and take exact measurements, an honest answer.
Very cool what you are doing by the way.

Good Luck

I think even indoors it might be of use to know if you can go to 15 hours of light and 9 hours of darkness instead of 12/12. I can imagine a higher yield and a shorter flowering time with more light. I might be wrong.

I’m at 50° and a seed line triggering flower mid to late July would be insane. I would love to read how your experiment has gone.

2 Likes

How about “its psychedelic”?

Maybe those “18-hours light Semi-Auto” Landraces (Kwikseeds, TRSC etc.) have something to offer.

It seems in the production of CBD-Flower 18-hour semi-autos are used in commercial production.
Here is the catalogue of a Breeder for commercial hemp and they seem to do some research and field trials on the subject an they also offer 18-hour semi autos.

I found a study on the subject of day expansion to 18-Hours. Very little light intensity (1.0 ”mol·m−2·s−1 PPFD) is needed to keep them in vegetative state. The study cites some other work regarding day length and flowering for hemp.

Regarding photo-periodic hemp cultivars the study above sums up the research with: “In general, all the cultivars studied (except for day neutrals) had a critical photoperiod of 15 h or less to initiate flowering.” So there might be a ceiling around 15 hours of light as a trigger of flowering but who knows.

1 Like

You can figure your plant out by the flowering duration but requires you split the flowering period in two parts IMO? This is an old concept but it is in Clarkes book as usual. Anyone who says his book is outdated or not as relevant hasn’t read the fucking thing. Had everything you need to grow and breed. The purple flowers and other examples are timeless and the rest are just mere shadows of what it contains.

1 Like

I got some super fast weird plants this year. The fastest of the 8 sisters had pistols starting july 3 in mid michigan. Two are normal and the other 5 started 1-2 weeks after the fastest one. Thing is, the light didn’t even hardly really get any shorter before they triggered. The other 4 non sister plants got the same treatment and are normal. I used 24h light to veg inside before spring and only had a tiny bit of reveg weirdness on a few branches which cleared up well before flowering started.
No auto genes involved. They’re (newberryXtangie)Xwedding crasher. The issue is with the dad newberryXtangie I used. I used one male, which is something I quit doing already because of locking myself into things I don’t want with other lines.
Anyway, here she is today. She’s got cake leaning terps and already has me excited to smoke.

I got a lil money yesterday, so I’m going at noon to get more root plugs. I’ve gotten them to take this late before, although it is not easy. Air conditioner broke during a heat wave and the first round of rooted clones got messed up and are hanging to life.

This was a good year to have this happen. I put out decent sized plants and had a good start, or she woulda probably been a midget :joy:

7 Likes

That is a very neat method thanks for the tip.

That means she gets triggered around 9 hours of darkness I guess. Cool stuff and nice Plants. Good luck with your next round of clones.

2 Likes

I will definitely grow some Moroccan Beldia (or hybrid) next year. As I said I asked a few breeders/seedcompanies via email if they can give Info at what day length their seed lines start to flower. Somebody from Khalifagenetics wrote back that their Beldia “tends to start flowering when it receives less than 15 hours and 45 minutes of daily light, provided it has reached sexual maturity.” Growing at 50° north that means flowering is triggered round mid July. That is exactly what I’m searching for.
They clarified how they define semi-auto. “The Beldia being a semi-auto strain, there are other factors that can trigger flowering such as the size of the container (The smaller, the earlier it flowers) IE root space, the richness of the soil (The poorer the soil, the earlier it flowers) and other stress factors.”

I wonder how difficult / easy it is to pass this early flower trait on when crossing it and making Hybrids. Khalifas Dessert Skunk looks interesting, it’s a Hybrid of their Beldia IBL X Alladins Skunk IBL.

3 Likes