Day length and the start of Flowering

might check “seedfinders.eu” they have about 2,000 breeders listed

1 Like

have heard the Strainly , meaning some breeders on , one needs to check their profile on the on ther hand I have gotten some very good genetics from strainly and then once I got F***ed the whole transaction was ???

Strainly is the only place i’ve been ripped off at. Seller never shipped after payment, just straight ghosted me. There are some legit people on there but overall, i wouldn’t shop there ever.

3 Likes

@HolyAngel - Sorry to hear it. I have had some excellent dealings over there. Worst was a known and respected vendor who took months to get me my seeds. Even though the damn Canadians kept seizing them I finally got my seeds. So I have a more positive attitude.

Had US sellers that 100% misrepresented what they were selling. Thought I bought regular seeds. Turned out not only feminized but also autos. Notice that guy doesn’t advertise any more.

2 Likes

the only time I got screwed was when one guy said he couldn’t find that strain -took my money and ran ( That no good f!@#er !!! But has some ood transactions, guess need to check the profile of seller ?

Interesting topic and something I have been thinking about too. This year I found the first plant to start flowering somewhere mid July, the rest not far behind yet clearly the most sativa types were the first 3 of 6 to show.

Beldia from ace seeds is the source I was looking into but Khalifa is also looking interesting. Both should offer some nice breeding material.

2 Likes

At which latitude are you? Mid July would be pretty good at 50°. What are you growing?

I would think that the Indica leaning plants (broader leafs, bushy) start flowering at longer day length because they developed more far away from the equator than Sativas (narrow leafs, taller). But Cannabis Taxonomy and Classification is a topic in it own and with modern Hybrids its hard to tell anyway. That said the Beldia is also said to be a sativa.

The Beldia is supposed to have some fantastic traits like early flowering, resistance to drought and stuff, can live on bad soil etc… In my head I already made a ton of crosses…

I find it astonishing that the day length and the start of flower seems to be such a niche topic despite being of the utmost importance for a lot of growers that ideally would harvest late August to mid September (due to bad weather, decreasing day length and less light intensity).

I have written now to 4 or 5 Breeders and seed companies asking about their seed lines and day length (flowering) and Khalifa was the only one answering the question. The others haven’t answered yet, didn’t know or wanted to get me interested in Autos. If you are a Breeder telling me you do 20000 plant outdoor pheno hunts and use the newest breeding tech, but don’t tell me when your plants start to flower at my latitude its kind of ridicules.

4 Likes

@HolyAngel Wow! Wouldn’t that be aweful! Spend a dollar a seed and they are NOT straight from the grower’s stash? Jeezzzz, that would be upsetting.

I have known Mark for probably 10 years. He always gives more than you paid for. I have some of his LA Confidential. What do you have to trade?

I have a pack of his LA Confidential too :joy:
Got em long before I knew anything.

There was a guy named Steve Tuck tried to do this some years ago but it was mostly just a bunch of BS. Like lines these days are predictable, not. Most plants are in stretch at 14 hours and hard in at 13. You got something boogieing down at 15 it’s Hungarian ditch weed auto junk.

2 Likes

What did this guy exactly try to do?

I guess some lines are and some are not. It’s hard to imagine for me that Farmers are growing on scale (hectares) outdoor and in greenhouses and would buy seeds from a breeder that can’t guarantee him that relevant traits are locked in (with some standard deviation).

From the study I linked further up in the thread about photo-periodic hemp:
“In general, all the cultivars studied (except for day neutrals) had a critical photoperiod of 15 h or less to initiate flowering.”
I also doubt that Khalifa is lying about their Beldia starting to flower below 15h45m but I guess I will find out and the Beldia can be kept as a mother plant so I doubt that there is auto junk involved.

Thinking about it it seems pretty easy to lock in a trait like the start of flowering. In a tent you could just put your timer on 15h:30min of light for instance and select the plants that start to flower. If you do this for some generations the trait should be pretty stable.

2 Likes

Weird post. Plants you haven’t grown, seen, or smoked, are ditch weed junk. It just weird ya know? Triggering flower faster isn’t going to change much except timing and yield. I’m feeling like I gotta defend my garden now. The fastest ones terps are delicious. Got some sweet mango type smells now. Its frosting up, and got all indications of being quite an awesome plant.

I took 4 more cuts, and it looks like one of the first clones might even live. So maybe in the future others will get to see what I’m seeing.

2 Likes

There’s no point in hating Autos on principle. They are a great tool for harvest timing and are used for industrial hemp at least for decades maybe over century.

There is a reason people are doing light deprivation to trigger flowering. Ed Rosenthal for instance claims:
“Buds that ripen in mid or late summer experience more intense light and much more UV spectrum light than full-ripened buds.” Which results in “bigger bud” and more “potency”. At the same time avoiding cold, snow, rain and wind (Autumn).

Good luck fellow grower tell us what you found.

1 Like

I thought id be able to come up with a strong case against what @TomHill is saying.
Around my parts, we traditionally grow early flowering plants/fast finishing plants due to climate.
Spent a good bit checking my notes from previous outdoor years, pinpointing daylight and even the solid years where I was in and done early pretty much follow his timeline.

Some lines might trigger a week or so ealier but thats about it…

3 Likes

In my opinion to speak of an early flowering line there needs to be a start of flower between 16h and 15h of daylight. It seems you are saying that no such thing exists. I hope you are wrong and the studies on hemp seem to show that cannabis can start flowering at least around 15h of day light. Searching the forum I don’t find anybody who has experience with the Khalifa Beldia which they claim starts to flower at 15h 45min. There must be some people out there who are breeding for the early flower trait who can share their experience.

1 Like

That discussion reminded me I had some surplus clones out in the backyard that I hadn’t checked in a while… :roll_eyes:

These are OriginalDankMaster’s Crippys (photoperiod) and they appear to be 2~3 weeks into flower.
I’m at 43.7N and as of today, receiving 13.65 Hrs. of daylight… so probably about 14Hrs. 3 weeks ago when they started.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Lol must be

1 Like

I did a quick search on day length and photosensitive hemp and found a study on the development of a speed breeding protocol for hemp:

There are multiple hemp lines like Fedora17 and Futura75 that start to flower with a 16:8 light to darkness treatment under artificial lighting. Interestingly the flowers under 16:8 need longer to develop than under 12:12. They also had a glasshouse control group (Dublin, Latitude 53°) growing under “natural” conditions which took much longer. In my opinion glass house conditions are sub optimal for the simulation of natural conditions hence it takes away some of the UV and Blue spectrum from natural light.

1 Like

Regarding the control group I want to add that the authors say it was grown between May and September. The plants grown in tents where kicked in to flower after 2 weeks of vegetation (remember this is about speed breeding). Daylight reaches around 16 hours at 53° mid July so they basically where in vegetation for a few more weeks and hence the big difference in flowering times between indoor and glasshouse grown plants (Fedora 17 needed around 30 days indoor under 12:12 lighting treatment, in the greenhouse it took 73 days on average).

1 Like

Maybe? Usually flowering is initiated two weeks prior to that and would put it at June 20’s and depending on when you saw the flowers? Sounds like it has almost an auto flower situation? How long before it finishes? Thinking it was acclimated further North by a little bit?