Day length and the start of Flowering

[quote=“Cactus, post:230, topic:128431”]
A thesis submitted by David Potter JP MIBiol CBiol FLS CMIOSH

The biosynthesis of terpenoids has a higher energy requirement than most other primary and secondary metabolites, because of the extensive level of chemical reduction within these compounds (Gershenzon, 1994). The energy for this biosynthesis would be derived from light energy, captured within the chloroplast. During periods of light exposure, some chloroplasts would be directly illuminated and others would be in varying degrees of shade. This study showed that plant tissues devoid of chlorophyll, and thereby unable to photosynthesise, could support the biosynthesis of cannabinoids within their own glandular trichomes. The carbon source required for cannabinoid biosynthesis would have been produced elsewhere within the plant and then translocated to these trichomes. This demonstrates that in a normal growing environment, where some parts of the plant are in full sun and others in varying degrees of shade, all aerial parts the plant will be able to synthesise cannabinoids. The resultant increase in trichome content uniformity is fortunate for the grower of cannabis for the pharmaceutical industry.

Mahlberg et al. (1983) compared the cannabinoid content of capitate stalked trichomes on the upper and lower surfaces of cannabis bracts and found those on the upper surface to be more potent. This was attributed to the upper surface receiving more light. This study with variegated cannabis weakens that argument, showing that the ability of leaf tissue to photosynthesise has minimal effect on its ability of the local glandular trichomes to synthesis cannabinoids.

You can grow Haze where you are, as long as your growing season is long enough for it to finish before freezing. You can use tarps or covers, like TomHill does, to help it finish. He’s at around 40.5°N, so he’s able to make it work. Potter and his crew I believe found that cannabinoid production doesn’t require extremely high light levels—just sufficient darkness and protection from freezing. Based on that, I think Haze could be grown in your location given the timing and other adjustments. I feel this probably isn’t the best location but not going to say you can’t.

On the other hand, I’m taking a different approach (inspired by DJ Short), working to acclimate 8–12-week strains back to their original environment. Many of these strains have undergone filial degeneration, reverting to their pre-hybridized state, and are often only considered valuable for hybridization schemes. These homozygous types perform well here, but I believe returning them to their original environment could help restore traits lost due to commercial growing pressures. I hope this makes sense—basically, you don’t have to settle, just make a few adjustments.

1 Like

not sure how long these will go but I started freebie seeds from @Great_lakes_Genetics , Dubble Sour Diesel x GG4 Auto back in may , potted up on June 1st. It is day 103 from seed and I figure these still have a couple or more weeks to go putting them in the + 120 day category… they could go 3 more weeks I dunno LOL
They just keep getting fatter and look far from done. These plants really change my personal experience with autos due to how big they got and how much flower they are developing. They smell awesome too. While I am not at 50N latitude… I am at nearing 52N latitude/3000ft elevation in western canada.
Hopefully @Great_lakes_Genetics / Adam & Eve Genetics will release these beans to the masses. For an auto… these are winners.

these pics were from the 28th of august and they have swelled up quite a bit since then… maybe I’ll snap a few pics today and post them later.

I figure my other photoperiod plants started flowering right about when I figured, between the 16th and 20th of august. According to my gps data for my location nearing 52N , on the 16th of august day length was 14hrs 35minutes not including twighlight hours. By the 20th day length was 14hrs 20 minutes and we currently losing about 4 minutes of daylight every day. Today’s daylength is 13hrs 19mins.

4 Likes

I grew a semi that was ready by September but damn if I can remember what it was.

They exist.