Dear diary! My Colossal Fuel run

Complete newbie to all of this, starting my 3rd grow and finally feeling like I’m organized enough to do a proper journal. Let’s start with parentage, this is cross of Mr Big Stuff x Tropical fuel(I apologize for forgetting the originators of these genetics), bred by a small breeder that I befriended over the past year. I’m using Roots Organic Formula 707 for my growing medium in 5 gallon pots. I am still feeling my way through learning about different nutrients and supplements and will say that I prefer simplicity vs mixing and I think at some point I’d like to just switch to doing top dressings. My lighting is an HLG XL 320 led kit, and a NOS(new old stock) mars hydro blurple light(actually a very quality unit) that I deftly acquired from the ex wife. The combination of lights isn’t ideal by any means but it’s what this broke old fella has. I went 3 weeks from seed to the transplant. Pictures incoming!

22 Likes

Hey, JerBear, the garden looks very nice!! Nice root balls.
I can not imagine why your blurple running with a HLG would be an issue.
Yeah, ok, I’m not fond of the color my blurple spews out, as it cascades across the floor, and walls.
It’s just un-natural to me.
But that SOB will grow some shit!!
One year, I ran 2 -10 gallon tubs of potatoes, standing off to the side, by the 6-7 plants I was shinning on!
They were all my back up bets when cloning, scraggly, demented, forgotten, unloved.
I sheared the ugly’s off the plants, tossed them back under 18/6, so the potatoes could also sprout, and green up, before the flip.
I got salvaged buds, decent, potent, and about 10 lb’s of petite potatoes, by springtime!!
So, yeah man, rock that blurple!!

4 Likes

Hey @JerBear, good to see you starting a grow thread! :+1:

I’ll tag along.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

It was free and honestly the quality of the construction of it has impressed me despite this sucker weighing 30 lbs. Funny story, I emailed Mars Hydro in an attempt to find out the specs and the reply I got was “We don’t make that unit, we have no specs for you.”, so I dropped it and managed to find a post of an old 3rd party seller. I’ve actually considered potting some anaheim peppers in there, I’ve never grown them before so I’m not sure how they’d do under an 18/6 light schedule.

3 Likes

Nice! Hey if it works it works, blurples work just fine, just not as efficient but they will definitely grow some dank. Everything looks great, looking forward to seeing everything progress :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Jerbear’s misadventures with peppers has begun! I have a love for smoked peppers but have never attempted growing or smoking them before and as they say “experience is the best teacher”, let’s get’er going! These will be grown alongside my “other stuff” in the humble diy grow room.

5 Likes

Hell yeah. Hoping to get some peppers running outdoors this year myself.

2 Likes

Good luck with the peppers! They will be tasty!!
I just picked up a pair of Rosemary plants yesterday, as I stupidly let the 2 I brought inside, the past fall, die off.
The thyme I grew out last year, is bang on delicious!! Just a pinch when cooking with it!!
I love to simply run my fingers through it as a growing plant, to let that scent out! Herbs are so easy, many are Mediterranean, so they are not seeking the best soil and seem to do fine, in my spent medium, with a lite dusting of some Down To Earth goodies.
All the best to ya!

1 Like

1 week since the transplant update. Have been introducing them to some very light fertilizer feedings and 1 dose of cal mag so far. The cotyledons have all turned yellow as they do their job. I never should’ve started a grow this time of year because of the low humidity in the basement here in Missouri but the excitement of growing this strain was just too overwhelming. A large humidifier is #1 on my upgrade list. My lighting is an HLG 320 XL Qb led kit and a new old stock mars hydro blurple light with a 5 ft. veg footprint. This will be an experiment running these lights side by side and watching the results, but also the mars light was a freebie so we’re going with them. My soil of choice is Roots Organic, Formula 707. As the week winds down, wishing all of you a Happy New Years and a great weekend!

6 Likes

C.F #6 is telling me “too much light” with the start of her taco shaped leaves. Still feeling my way around with this mars hydro light, moved it up from 18" at canopy to 24". Looking beautiful nonetheless. If anyone thinks I could be wrong, please share your thoughts.

5 Likes

Babies got their 1st topping last night.

4 Likes

Thought I’d share pics of my humble diy grow room. I wired in new outlets for it’s own circuit in the unfinished basement, enclosed by 7x9 tarps added rubber horse stall mat to insulate the plants from the concrete floor. In the warm months the humidity sits at 60% all by itself, winter time not so much. El cheapo emergency blankets used for reflective material on the blue tarps.

6 Likes

New humidifier came in today, haven’t toyed with the settings yet but this thing went to work almost doubling the humidity in there.

2 Likes

Colossal fuel :thinking: seems familiar…was it legion of roots? All looks great :+1:

1 Like

It was LOR until a parting of the ways between 2 of the breeders, now it’s just out there in limbo. Glad I got them when I did.

1 Like

Yes sir I got some of their blueberry bella and legions loyalty. Wish I would have gotten the collosal fuel when itl came out

1 Like

I’ve also got a pack of their tropical fuel held back for a future grow, same situation as the CF unfortunately.

1 Like

New gear came in, getting the hygro/temp monitor set up.

4 Likes

End of 3rd week of veg, I think they’re fairly happy looking considering the cooler temps in the basement. Weather advisory for temps(in MO) is going to make for a poopy weekend. Signs of life finally with the germinating pepper seeds, 2 of the 12 have broken ground and promptly changed their status to “seedling”. Have a fantastic weekend folks!

3 Likes

Anaheim peppers are coming up.

2 Likes